DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Unscheduled RTH Test

Juggler

Reactions
First let me say this was TOTALLY my fault!!
Please no VLOS comments as if my eyes were better it would have been.?

Was out filming some boats and got myself absolutely lost. I was aiming for a change room on the shore and and was quite low about 8mtrs. Little did I know at the time that I was in fact heading to the wrong change room about 600 mtr further south around a headland. The more I looked at the screen and convinced my self i was in the correct position the more I pointed the RC "towards" the drone. There lays the problem. The drone was behind me at th other change rooms. The screen started to go choppy then BLACK. I stared at the screen willing it to realign but zip....I looked at the wife and said I have just lost $1500 thinking i had gone into the water. I didnt turn anything off just waited hoping for a miracle. Well it happened the screen flickered back to life and was in a RTH config.? The RTH was obviously engaged after the 11 sec lost of signal....Thank you DJI. Although the drne wasnt that far when the screen blanked it was behind a headland and very low.
The outcome for me was a lucky save and now its time to book in to the glass doc for new specs

RTH test completed successfully

Was out filming some boats and got myself absolutely lost. I was aiming for a change room on the shore and and was quite low about 8mtrs. Little did I know at the time that I was in fact heading to the wrong change room about 600 mtr further south around a headland. The more I looked at the screen and convinced my self i was in the correct position the more I pointed the RC "towards" the drone. There lays the problem. The drone was behind me at th other change rooms. The screen started to go choppy then BLACK. I stared at the screen willing it to realign but zip....I looked at the wife and said I have just lost $1500 thinking i had gone into the water. I didnt turn anything off just waited hoping for a miracle. Well it happened the screen flickered back to life and was in a RTH config.? The RTH was obviously engaged after the 11 sec lost of signal....Thank you DJI. Although the drne wasnt that far when the screen blanked it was behind a headland and very low.
The outcome for me was a lucky save and now its time to book in to the glass doc for new specs

We have had similar experience and why i Preach to use the RTH much more often to assure orientation back to the Home Point / Controller
I have written many times as to how we use the RTH several times during a flight to just have peace of mind when on the boat or in the sun , rain, some how people think its for emergency only but its a great tool and really should be used much more often.

At times like this my solution was to click on the map icon and go to map view. You will quickly see the home point and a triangular symbol for the aircraft. I use my left stick to point the aircraft to the home symbol then fly right back towards the home point. That map screen can be invaluable when geographically disoriented. Pretty simple to use and prevents confusion.

Great advice!

At times like this my solution was to click on the map icon and go to map view. You will quickly see the home point and a triangular symbol for the aircraft. I use my left stick to point the aircraft to the home symbol then fly right back towards the home point. That map screen can be invaluable when geographically disoriented. Pretty simple to use and prevents confusion.

Use the mini map in the bottom left corner to show where you’re at, and it’ll even show you how to get back “home”. I’ve done this in near pitch black environments with the LED light activated. Can be scary but keep calm, and just use your telemetry correctly and you’ll be safe.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
invertedloser