DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Unstable Hover Over Pitched Roofs

Todd Hallbauer

Reactions
I've noticed that my Mavic 2 becomes highly unstable when flying roof inspections on residential properties where the client has asked for shots from about ten feet away. Rather than hover in place like it ideally would, the aircraft will drift and even descend several feet randomly, making it quite difficult to keep it in the position I need. I'm assuming that this happens because the air flowing past the rotors creates an effect similar to jetwash when it's that close to a sloped surface. I've experienced the same problem when using my Phantom 4. Both aircraft will hover flawlessly four feet above the flat ground but when they get close to a sloped roof they start giving me panic attacks. I just wanted to get input from the community to see if this is a common problem during close up inspections and if it would be worth paying for aircraft body insurance if I keep working with residential roofs.

Agreeing with @RS Bush Pilot, your Mavic 2 has downward Visual Positioning System that may be fooled by the repetitive patterns of roof shingles. If I recall, that can’t be turned off, though it’s been a while since I flew an M2 and may be misremembering.

I've noticed that my Mavic 2 becomes highly unstable when flying roof inspections on residential properties where the client has asked for shots from about ten feet away. Rather than hover in place like it ideally would, the aircraft will drift and even descend several feet randomly, making it quite difficult to keep it in the position I need
Have you tried disabling the downward sensors?
They are likely to be causing the trouble.

You could try flying at increasing distances away from the roof until the problem is resolved, the client has asked from about 10ft distance, so maybe 13-15ft would be ok

Reactions: rv Jackson
When checking roof drainage guttering for neighbours, I disable obstacle avoidance on my Mavic 2 in order to get close enough to view detail. So yes it can be disabled and maybe worth trying in the circumstances you describe.

Reactions: Spartan Drones
Also any wind at all will be turbulent close to a roof. I’ve noticed this when inspecting my roof / chimney. On one occasion I couldn’t get close enough, I tried a few days later with slightly less wind and the difference was noticeable.

Agreeing with @RS Bush Pilot, your Mavic 2 has downward Visual Positioning System that may be fooled by the repetitive patterns of roof shingles. If I recall, that can’t be turned off, though it’s been a while since I flew an M2 and may be misremembering.
The downward sensors can be turned off on the Mavic 2 in the Go4 app. Turn off "precision landing" in the app and then retest.

Reactions: SethB
Hi Meta4-With a Mavic 2 Pro.When photographing/videoing surfing,I aim for 12' or higher.Once in a while I get a bit of a video clip that looks like I'm just above the water and too close to a surfer.Is that the downward sensor being fooled by waves(not big waves/Gulf of Mexico).Should I disable the downward sensors or would that be more risky?

Last edited:
I've noticed that my Mavic 2 becomes highly unstable when flying roof inspections on residential properties where the client has asked for shots from about ten feet away. Rather than hover in place like it ideally would, the aircraft will drift and even descend several feet randomly, making it quite difficult to keep it in the position I need. I'm assuming that this happens because the air flowing past the rotors creates an effect similar to jetwash when it's that close to a sloped surface. I've experienced the same problem when using my Phantom 4. Both aircraft will hover flawlessly four feet above the flat ground but when they get close to a sloped roof they start giving me panic attacks. I just wanted to get input from the community to see if this is a common problem during close up inspections and if it would be worth paying for aircraft body insurance if I keep working with residential roofs.
You can turn the bottom sensors off, I have disabled the downward lateral flow sensors to stop my mav 2 zoom freaking out when I hand-land. This can be done in the setting menu. This is a problem that can be compensated for with the mav 2 zoom - use the 2X optical zoom. No loss of picture quality and you get a slightly better DoF because the zoom artificially stops the lens down from f/2.8 to f/3.3.

The instability can occur from both mechanical turbulence as well as proximity sensors. So as pilot in command you would scope out the conditions of your flight and make flight decisions based on all the data you've gathered prior to your flight.

I can only imagine the frustration and even fear that this would cause.

I don't have the Mavic 2 but when I use my Phantom 4 Pro v2 for roof inspections I can narrow the OA to get closer. I have the C1 button set up for this.

This exact ‘scare’ happened to me and my MP2. After changing blades and calibrating, just because it had been awhile anyway. It occurred to me that the slant 5/12 pitch was not vertical, not horizontal enough to make sense to my bird. I usually fly with sensors off anyway

Hi Meta4-With a Mavic 2 Pro.When photographing/videoing surfing,I aim for 12' or higher.Once in a while I get a bit of a video clip that looks like I'm just above the water and too close to a surfer.Is that the downward sensor being fooled by waves(not big waves/Gulf of Mexico).Should I disable the downward sensors or would that be more risky?
Getting down close to a sea surface that is rising and falling is always risky.
Downward sensors on or off probably won't make much difference.
Also since the wideangle lens on your drone makes things look further away than they actually are, it's riskier than you might think it is.

I may be just a young guy here, but when doing roofs, I was afraid to get close and just used the 2x zoom to get me the close view we needed without getting the drone too close to the building.
I think I remember reading in the manual that strong geometric patterns can confuse the proximity sensors.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KevinStudent