Up Your Game on April 27th @ 9:30 PM EDT

msinger

DJI Drone Expert
Approved Vendor
Premium Pilot
Reactions
Site
mavichelp.com
Nothing much to see yet, but DJI just posted this page on their website about an announcement on April 27th at 9:30 PM EDT. The Mavic Air 2 perhaps?

1586915268381.png

I just got the notification for this email as well. I forgot how fast my fingers could move until I saw them flying to log into my mail client hoping for a sneak peak at whats coming.

I could have come to MavicPilots and got the breaking news 15 minutes ago. I should have known if it has to do with DJI or drone news the information would be here!

Is it safe to guess at this point the highlight of the event will be the new Mavic / Air 2? To me it appears obvious to be the top of a new drone & the front props.

Oh , this is quite the surprise but DJI has already let the cat out of the bag lol. We all know what this is but I am stunned, really stunned that they would release it this early. The leaks were true. Oh man, here we go, i hope they have some sort of press conference or something meaningful as the mavic mini had nothing...............????

Reactions: Skywatcher2001
This may be old news to all (but me) but I was just surprised to find out it DOES have Occusync 2 and there is actually two new models coming out. One with ADS-B and one without. Going to have a LOT more flight time, 360 obstacle avoidance & OC2, if the 799 for the base & 949 USD for the ADS-B model is true this is going to be nice.

I know I have heard that sound in the new Up Your Game video clip but I cant remember where.

Last edited:
Reactions: Skywatcher2001
I'm soooo glad I didn't pull the trigger on the MM. It was in the cart ready to check out (then) I decided to get more pilot's reaction on the mini and boy did I ever!! Really excited about this one. Any leaks on the camera system??

I know I have heard that sound in the new Up Your Game video clip but I cant remember where.
Sounds like its from the movie "Battleship" or maybe "Battle Los Angeles" . . .

I am ready to Up my game alright! I don't care about ADS-B but OccuSync and 30+ minutes of air time are both a nice improvement. The only unknown so far is the camera; it is all mum on that front.

Of what benefit is ADS-B to me the drone owner/operator?

Any links to insightful reading on the topic would also be appreciated.

Thank you & stay safe.

Any links to insightful reading on the topic would also be appreciated.

Thank you & stay safe.

Will this one help

The operator will be informed that air traffic is somewhere around him.

It looks like this:
ANOTHER AIRCRAFT IS NEARBY. FLY WITH CAUTION.
ANOTHER AIRCRAFT IS DANGEROUSLY CLOSE, PLEASE DESCEND TO A SAFER ALTITUDE.

The operator will be informed that air traffic is somewhere around him.

It looks like this:
ANOTHER AIRCRAFT IS NEARBY. FLY WITH CAUTION.
ANOTHER AIRCRAFT IS DANGEROUSLY CLOSE, PLEASE DESCEND TO A SAFER ALTITUDE.

From [my limited] experience of how DJI go about such things, it would probably be more like

ANOTHER AIRCRAFT MAY BE NEARBY. FLY WITH CAUTION.
ANOTHER AIRCRAFT IS NEARBY. AIRCRAFT WILL AUTO-LAND! ENTERING AUTO LAND MODE NOW! (with no possibility of user override of course).

it would probably be more like ...
That's the actual output flying M200 or M2ED laterally from an airport in which the runway threshold was 6.500m away.
Doing roof inspections below roof height and receiving such messages ... I don't trust the warnings from DJI anymore.

(Would you descend/land here when you see the warning:
ANOTHER AIRCRAFT IS DANGEROUSLY CLOSE, PLEASE DESCEND TO A SAFER ALTITUDE. )

roof.png

DJI's ADS-B (IN) implementation in its current form is not an ideal solution, but better than nothing.

There are currently better systems (FLARM) on the market to inform an UAS operator and FLARM equipped full size aircraft about nearby traffic.

Thank you all for the responses. Obviously I need to do a bit of reading on the subject.

I am assuming that if you can see other traffic, other traffic can also see you (which is not a bad thing, afterall). So that means one will need to have an active internet connection throughout the flight, correct?

I am also assuming that one day it may be a requirement to have such a system installed in all drones operating under certain conditions. And that generally, drones without the system would have greater restrictions on where and how high they can fly.

With that being said, can I make one more assumption that any new regulations are still a ways down the road, and that buying a drone today without ADB-S is still a reasonable decision, without the fear of it being "grounded" in 12 months time?

Again, thank you and stay safe.

I am assuming that if you can see other traffic, other traffic can also see you
No - DJI aircraft equipped with ADS-B only see (IN) other aircraft.
There is no ADS-B OUT (transmitting)

So that means one will need to have an active internet connection throughout the flight, correct?
No - ADS-B works on dedicated radio frequencies without Internet.

@Keule........ thank you so much for this information.

Later in the day, I will really have to catch up on this technology....... and all the pending regulations!

One more question please......
Where does the ADS-B signal come from? Is it coming from the other aircraft (if so, I guess the other aircraft would need to be fitted with an ADS-B transmitter (transponder?))? Or will it use other data like from ATC or flight tracking services?

AGAIN....... many thanks!!!!

Last edited:
@Keule........ thank you so much for this information.

Later in the day, I will really have to catch up on this technology....... and all the pending regulations!

One more question please......
Where does the ADS-B signal come from? Is it coming from the other aircraft (if so, I guess the other aircraft would need to be fitted with an ADS-B transmitter (transponder?))? Or will it use other data like from ATC or flight tracking services?

AGAIN....... many thanks!!!!
ADS-B data comes from each individual aircraft that is equipped with this technology, an increasing number by regulatory mandate to the general aviation and commercial aviation community. While not perfect, it does provide target data (ADS-B OUT) for ID, heading, speed, and altititude to other nearby capable ADS-B recievers (ADS-B IN).

Reactions: Rudiger
Great! Thanks for explaining that for me in such simple terms.

I really appreciate your taking the time.

Stay safe.

This may be old news to all (but me) but I was just surprised to find out it DOES have Occusync 2 and there is actually two new models coming out. One with ADS-B and one without. Going to have a LOT more flight time, 360 obstacle avoidance & OC2, if the 799 for the base & 949 USD for the ADS-B model is true this is going to be nice.

We will have all the details on the 27th, but today we mostly have rumors. Other than the facts from the FCC documents -- that it will have the two models (one with ADS-B and one without) and the battery is of larger capacity than the first Mavic Air, everything else is rumors at this point.

As some of the sites have noted, the picture from the FCC seem to indicate it will not have top sensors, so no 360 avoidance. We don't know about side sensors at the moment. There is no confirmation on Occusync, but the rumors make it seem likely.

I saw one site speculate that the rated flight time might be in the 25-28 minute range, with actual flight time around 21 minutes (for reference, the current Air is rated at 21 minutes, I think a bunch of us commonly get in the 15-16 minute range, although we don't typcially land at 0.).

12 days from now, we'll have most of the details, although we may get more leaks between now and then.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wqb3