DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Update Home Point

Piper J3

Reactions
Under Safety Drop-down Menu there is item called Update Home Point. When I hit this button it says "use when aircraft in flight". Doesn't this update the home point before liftoff?

Under Safety Drop-down Menu there is item called Update Home Point. When I hit this button it says "use when aircraft in flight". Doesn't this update the home point before liftoff?
That allows you to change your home point after you’ve taken off...maybe from a boat. You wouldn’t want your drone to land where you took off from, if you are on the move. This allows you to tell the drone that your ’desired’ home point has changed. It will update to your current GPS position.

I would use it sparingly and fully understand it before you press the button to update HP....Read the manual to learn what updating home point means.

If not you may lose your drone.

Reactions: hiflyer201
The manual doesn’t really clarify this function other then mention that it exists.

Can I ask for clarification.

is the point updated the drone position or controller position.

thanks in advance

The point updated is the location of your phone, which happens to be attached to the controller. The controllers sole function is to control the speed and direction of the drone. And height.

Last edited:
On my Mavic Mini I can choose if I was the home point to update to the location of the drones position or the controller/phone position.

Last edited:
Reactions: dawgpilot
The point updated is the location of your phone, which happens to be attached to the controller. The controllers sole function is to control the speed and direction of the drone. And height.
Thanks greatly Mr. McDrone. That makes sense to me. Especially using say the example of a launch boat.

whilst the manual is good it is lacking a few items. Be interesting to compile the undocumented features and clarify items like this in a document.

Yes, on the Air 2 (like the mini),once in flight you can update the home point to:
1 - The drone's current location
2 - The phone's curent location (assuming good GPS from phone)
3 - Any point you select on the map

I don't think you can update the home point to anywhere on the map with the Mavic Mini(maybe with the air 2 though), I least I haven't been able to figure out how to do that. I could be wrong though.

Also, when I try to update the home point to the phones location it say's there is no GPS even though I have GPS location services turned on and I'm in an open area. And the compass direction thing at the bottom of the screen is flashing red. Any help with these problems would be appreciated!

Jeremy

I don't think you can update the home point to anywhere on the map with the Mavic Mini(maybe with the air 2 though), I least I haven't been able to figure out how to do that. I could be wrong though.

Also, when I try to update the home point to the phones location it say's there is no GPS even though I have GPS location services turned on and I'm in an open area. And the compass direction thing at the bottom of the screen is flashing red. Any help with these problems would be appreciated!

Jeremy

Yes, you can set the Mini to a point on the map. Once you go to change the home point, you'll see the two icons (controller and drone) and the map. Just scroll around on the map and move the map so that the homepoint icon is where you want it.

Lots of users complain about the red compass thing. Sometimes seems to not work for some, sometimes settings. Make sure the app (and compass) have permission to use location services as a first step.

Reactions: CrazyFastFlying
Yes, you can set the Mini to a point on the map. Once you go to change the home point, you'll see the two icons (controller and drone) and the map. Just scroll around on the map and move the map so that the homepoint icon is where you want it.

Lots of users complain about the red compass thing. Sometimes seems to not work for some, sometimes settings. Make sure the app (and compass) have permission to use location services as a first step.

Ok, I guess I was wrong. Thank you for correcting me.

I've tried everything to fix the red flashing compass icon. Nothing seems to work. I have all the compass and GPS services on.

Ok, I guess I was wrong. Thank you for correcting me.

I've tried everything to fix the red flashing compass icon. Nothing seems to work. I have all the compass and GPS services on.

Android? Maybe check the app permissions to ensure it's allowed access to location - I've had some apps that refused to know where they were, and location access was disabled.

Android? Maybe check the app permissions to ensure it's allowed access to location - I've had some apps that refused to know where they were, and location access was disabled.

I use an iPad with my Mavic Mini. I checked all the location services on the iPad and in the app and everything is turned on.

I use an iPad with my Mavic Mini. I checked all the location services on the iPad and in the app and everything is turned on.
Oh, I dunno then :(
On Android, you can have have all the location services enabled, but individual apps can then have access to those services flipped on or off. I don't know if iOS has something similar, I've never owned an Apple device. Hopefully you can get it sorted!

Sometimes if you haven't moved the controller for a while, it will turn red. Try waving it in a figure 8 or even just turn and walk a few feet away. That might prompt the phone to update the location. No guarantees but it has worked several times for me and it's easy enough to try.

If home point Is reset, say to drone location do the AGL and distance limits begin to be tracked from that point? A flying drone could easily get a much higher RTH altitude in such an event. Also, would be nice if home point could track a moving controller.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gadget61