DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Update questions... Sorry

Donzo98

Reactions
I just got my SC today. Followed instructions on YouTube to set it up. The set up and upgrade went fine as far as the controller was concerned, but I couldn't update the M2P using the SC. I ultimately just connected the drone to the computer using DJI assistant 2. I think I remember reading something about this before I bought drone. Is this a known issue that DJi is working on?? What a pain in the ***...

One other question... is there any reason to hang on to the old controller?? I could recoup a bit of dough. Have you guys held on to yours?

If the SC will be compatible with the next version of the Mavic... it would make sense to hang on to the old one.

Reactions: Napolyon1
Personally I would not bother hanging onto it mainly because it will probably gather dust somewhere, but if you sell it, then someone who has broken/lost theirs will buy yours lol. The cycle of life continues without the need to hoard for those never to come emergency situations?

Just a thought

Personally I would not bother hanging onto it mainly because it will probably gather dust somewhere, but if you sell it, then someone who has broken/lost theirs will buy yours lol. The cycle of life continues without the need to hoard for those never to come emergency situations?

Just a thought

Not really thinking of an emergency... but if the SC is compatible with the next version of drone, I would obviously keep it.

It's a lot easier to see a drone with a controller than without.

I just got my SC today. Followed instructions on YouTube to set it up. The set up and upgrade went fine as far as the controller was concerned, but I couldn't update the M2P using the SC. I ultimately just connected the drone to the computer using DJI assistant 2. I think I remember reading something about this before I bought drone. Is this a known issue that DJi is working on?? What a pain in the ***...

One other question... is there any reason to hang on to the old controller?? I could recoup a bit of dough. Have you guys held on to yours?

If the SC will be compatible with the next version of the Mavic... it would make sense to hang on to the old one.

I'm also toying with the idea of recovering some costs. But while I have not tried, Litchi (the waypoint, mission, flying app) at the moment does not run on the Smart Controller. So I continue to think about a sale.

...One other question... is there any reason to hang on to the old controller??
I would keep the old RC for a while; at least until I was completely familiar with the SC and could count on it's reliability. If you do keep it make a calendar reminder to cycle the battery every so often. It would suck to need your spare RC and find that the battery is dead.

I would keep the old RC for a while; at least until I was completely familiar with the SC and could count on it's reliability. If you do keep it make a calendar reminder to cycle the battery every so often. It would suck to need your spare RC and find that the battery is dead.

I’d keep it at least until DJI support learns it <sheesh>. I’ve contacted them via chat a few times. First response is always “doesn’t do that” I quote text from the manual describing the feature. Response is “Hmmm.... maybe it does. Hold on...” “ah, we are working on a software update to fix that”. I know it is a brand new product, but man, I get the feeling the support folks haven’t even heard of the device.

It will get better... I hope.

Thanks everyone... I'll hold for a while.

As for my other question... I found the other thread. I guess updating the drone is best done through DJI 2 Assistant for now.

Reactions: Techeternal

As for my other question... I found the other thread. I guess updating the drone is best done through DJI 2 Assistant for now.

It might just be simpler and possibly faster overall.

T

his is an issue with the SC whether DJI are working on it or not is another thing!!!! I kept my old controller.

I'm in same position might keep original controller just in case selling with drone in the future as a complete kit.This smart controller is supposed to be compatible with future devices we shall see.

I was watching a youtube, where the guy reviewing the Smart Controller says that is you put a sd card into the controller you cannot activate it. You must activate it before putting sd card in. any truth to this?
I understand that he has issues, but this one thing he said struck me as weird.
here is the youtube in question:

I was watching a youtube, where the guy reviewing the Smart Controller says that is you put a sd card into the controller you cannot activate it. You must activate it before putting sd card in. any truth to this?

He loved it until he did not love it!!!

There were issues but I think that they have been fixed. Since I did not have a card when I first got it, I had no problems with the updates or activation. All went fine.

Bugs are always weird and some really even weirder. It happens. There's even a Chinese language prompt in the English language version but it, too, is or will be fixed.

I was more miffed by the fact that I could not connect my computer to the remote using usb. That took a few days and some driver updates to fix and now 3 computers see it fine.

Reactions: Torcan and 747P4

Would you buy a pre-owned car from this guy?
This U Tub (Intentional spelling) person suggests the SC isn't worth buying on his channel, yet says nothing of the sort on the official DJI web site, other than offering "tips" for the SC use! He could be better off being more helpful to the "masses" by offering a more balanced, true and honest opinion of the device. Heck, he probably hasn't even read the manual, which is evident in some of his commentary about using the device. There is another thread about the U "Tub" review on this forum.

Last edited:
Reactions: Torcan

My M2Z and batteries all updated through the SC, no problem.

I had the same issue and had to use DJI Assistant for upgrading the Mavic 2 firmware also.

I had the same issue and had to use DJI Assistant for upgrading the Mavic 2 firmware also.
there is no consensus at all of what is the issue with those upgrades using android. when i just got my m2p i actually updated it initially from a remote, connected to my pixel 2 phone, no issues. but, on a next very day they had new update and on that it refused - i was connected to the same 5g network, router right next to me. then i got smart remote and initially it refused to update, so i did it all via dji assistant, but, other day there was a controller update and it worked with no issues. so, at this point i no longer care. it is definitely sporadic and what is it driven by - who knows, when it refuses to run the update.

good part is - it always works fine from the dji assistant. all in all i am now done with any modifications and updates and just want to fly it. :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54