DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Updated Go4 app for Android

Mavic19963

Reactions
I've had an MP for almost a year now. Was using iPhone6 with little to no problems. I just purchased an LG Rebel 3 Android phone and downloaded the Go4 app. Flew for the first time with the Android today. Noticed some video lag when recording. So I went to the Google play store to see if there was a version update. 44.2.8 is the updated version but saw numerous complaints about it. I'm currently using 4.2.6. Should I stay with current version or update? I believe the current firmware is 700. Thanks!

Nothing to gain on latest go 4 on mp ,it's only for air and inspire.

Nothing to gain on latest go 4 on mp ,it's only for air and inspire.
Thanks Top Hat. Noticed, though, that when I flew FPV, video feed was jumpy...hard to fly FPV with that kind of lag. The video playback on my phone showed the same, yet when I connected the MP to my laptop and viewed the video, no lag at all! Guess at this point I may want to consider an iOS device dedicated to the MP. Another expense on top of a pricey bird! Frig dog!!

Did you have the android in airplane mode?
No wifi, no Bluetooth, and no cell connection. Also shut down all apps that are running on the phone.
With android, it helps to free up the processor as much as you can.

Turn cell connection off? Not using wifi, airplane mode, or Bluetooth. Just disabled every app not used. Would disabling cell connection cut off GPS?

Turn cell connection off? Not using wifi, airplane mode, or Bluetooth. Just disabled every app not used. Would disabling cell connection cut off GPS?
NO gps will still work I am pretty sure, not that you need it..
Airplane mode will kill wifi and Bluetooth, and cell all with one command. Sorry I don't know what that command is on your device. Its programmed on my side button on my iPhone.

Well I would need GPS unless I want to fly in Atti mode. But I'll cut off cell connection and see what happens. Thank you! Cheers!

Well I would need GPS unless I want to fly in Atti mode. But I'll cut off cell connection and see what happens. Thank you! Cheers!
The GPS is built into the Mavic and that one handles the flight.
The only thing the phone GPS does is allow a couple intelligent flight modes.

Reactions: JayNC
Gotcha! I didn't know that - which would explain why I can fly in GPS mode from the RC controller without cellphone connection. Learn something new every day. Txs!

Reactions: JayNC
I've been flying mine in airplane mode for some time now and no issues. I know the distance isn't remotely close as advertised. At home furthest I could fly before complete signal loss was 2800 ft. That was in SC I'm now working in LI and I was able to get get out to 2 1/4 miles.

I have only done limited flights, but with three different Android devices.
All three seem to have a lag in the video.
No cell connection, no BT, Airplane mode. An S7, TAB A and a TAB S.
OTOH, I haven't gone more than a couple of hundred feet.

It also allows you to display cached maps when you are flying offline, something that I use quite often.

It also allows you to display cached maps when you are flying offline, something that I use quite often.
It allows you to cache maps, once done, GPS is not needed again for that. You can download and cache the maps before you switch to airplane mode.

It allows you to cache maps, once done, GPS is not needed again for that. You can download and cache the maps before you switch to airplane mode.
The smart device does need GPS to display the map of it's current location. How else does it know where it is in the world?

I have only done limited flights, but with three different Android devices.
All three seem to have a lag in the video.
No cell connection, no BT, Airplane mode. An S7, TAB A and a TAB S.
OTOH, I haven't gone more than a couple of hundred feet.
I use Go 4 version 4.1.15 on my Tab A running in Airplane mode with no other apps running. Works without lag. There are probably newer Go 4 versions that also work on the Tab A but I have not tried them. Since it works well for me, I have turned off auto-updating so it will not change.
The smart device does need GPS to display the map of it's current location. How else does it know where it is in the world?
You download the map for your location in the Go 4 app. The Mavic uses its GPS receiver to determine its location and displays this on the map.

Reactions: Boob8282
The device doesn’t even really need a gps. My iPad Air always shows maps and it doesn’t have gps. It gets it from WiFi before I fly as stated by mossiback.

The device doesn’t even really need a gps. My iPad Air always shows maps and it doesn’t have gps. It gets it from WiFi before I fly as stated by mossiback.

It’s a miracle! Your iPad may display a cached map, but it can not tell you where it is on the map without a GPS receiver.

That is what the Mavic built in dual compass GPS is for It shows you where you are on the map. I can see you dont understand, so lets just leave it as is. It doesnt matter either way.

Last edited:
Reactions: Boob8282
I've had an MP for almost a year now. Was using iPhone6 with little to no problems. I just purchased an LG Rebel 3 Android phone and downloaded the Go4 app. Flew for the first time with the Android today. Noticed some video lag when recording. So I went to the Google play store to see if there was a version update. 44.2.8 is the updated version but saw numerous complaints about it. I'm currently using 4.2.6. Should I stay with current version or update? I believe the current firmware is 700. Thanks!
I am using an iPhone 6 with GO4 4.2.8 and now 4.2.12. if you where not having any problems with your iPhone, then go back to using it. Also, there is a newer MP FW.

That is what the Mavic built in dual compass GPS is for It shows you where you are on the map. I can see you dont understand, so lets just leave it as is. It doesnt matter either way.
Yeah I do see how it can show where the Mavic is. It likely uses the Mavic's gps to display the home point. I say likely as it certainly can't use the Mavic's GPS if you reset the home point. How does the Mavic know where the new home point is and how do you display that on the map. Not trying to get into it here, just trying to understand.

I fly in a lot of remote areas (National Forest and BLM Lands). I have never flown without a GPS receiver on my smart device, which leads to my confusion on this. I use one of these - GLO™ | Garmin, when flying with my iPAD Mini 2 without a GPS receiver.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glenn-S