DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Upgrade 3 to a 3 cine

Ralph thompson

Reactions
Anyone know if its reasonable/possible to upgrade a standard Mavic 3 to a Mavic 3 cine? I think the only HW difference is the larger internal memory, the rest is SW/Firmware/Pro res license and the SC if you want it.

I was thinking there may be an M2 interface on the M3 somewhere. Saw a Chinese teardown video of the M3 and could not tell if there is or not.

Even if you could replace the internal memory it’s almost assuredly encrypted so you won’t be able to just swap it out for a different part and it still won’t make ProRes recording enabled.

Anyone know if its reasonable/possible to upgrade a standard Mavic 3 to a Mavic 3 cine? I think the only HW difference is the larger internal memory, the rest is SW/Firmware/Pro res license and the SC if you want it.
Exactly what I would like to try as well.
It could be something like mavics 2/zoom, where droneid changes depending what camera is connected. Same firmware is running on both, kind of "one track" solution.

If the firmware differs it can be hard. Very hard :)

Mavic 3 CIne SSD Card & SSD Adaptive Board Module
Mavic 3 SSD Mounting Piece
Mavic 3 Coaxial Cable (SSD-Core Board)
Mavic 3 SSD to Core Board Coaxial Cable Cover

Reactions: EasyV
Mavic 3 CIne SSD Card & SSD Adaptive Board Module
Mavic 3 SSD Mounting Piece
Mavic 3 Coaxial Cable (SSD-Core Board)
Mavic 3 SSD to Core Board Coaxial Cable Cover

Ah thanks, didn't know about these.

Then the answer is no :)

Hm wonder why they went for a coax? Havn't seen that for a while.

Reactions: EasyV
Doesn't seem practical. You need that 1TB SSD for the Pro res 422 HQ for both write speed and capacity.

Reactions: brett8883

The bigger issue is the minimum sustained write speed of the internal storage, not the capacity (you can buy micro SD with the same capacity). There are no micro SD cards that can keep up to uncompressed 4:2:2 4K60P ProRes, hence the need for the SSD in the first place. I'm guessing because of that specific hardware limitation, DJI isn't going to let end users "upgrade" their M3 to a M3 Cine. It would also likely be a support nightmare for them. I think you'd be far better off just buying the Cine in the first place. DJI also charges $500 USD for a ProRes license on their Inspire line, so I assume it's the same for the M3.

Hm wonder why they went for a coax? Havn't seen that for a while.
Because you can't carry today's signal speeds that length on individual wires. All the camera cables in DJI things are micro-coax too.
To clarify it's not one big coax like you might know, but essentially every signal line is a tiny coax.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swigmofa