DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Upgrade advice please

RSDonovan

Reactions
I have owned and flown a mini since January and I’m very pleased with it. Except...

1. Its very windy where I live on the English South coast, so flight opportunities are limit.
2. it seems very easy to lose signal from controller to drone, sometimes at a very short distance

Both of these detract from owning this drone to a certain extent.

I understand that the Air 2 could mitigate these problems, but by how much?

Has anyone computed the factors such as extra MPH of wind tolerance, extra distance before signal loss. For example, could I expect it to tolerate 50% more wind MPH, and 100% more reception distance?

i would prefer hearing anecdotal advice from Air 2 users rather than using the DJI figures.

Thanks for your help.

Logically the MA2 supports a lot more wind than the mini, but you always have to be careful, according to DJI around 23.5 mph / 37.8 km / h. Regarding signal stability, in this characteristic, it is infinitely superior to the Mini, where the little one works with WIFI connection, the MA2 works with the updated and improved OcuSync 2.0 system, which gives it signal stability for both video as the scope of the best or the best that exists in the segment. He could fly more without losses, beyond 3600 miles, or 6 km.
Believe me when I tell you, until very recently I owned the Mini, a great drone of exceptional quality, I sold it and bought the MA2 combo, and the truth is that they have no comparison, they are both good drones, but the security that The MA2 gives you when you fly far, the Mini doesn't. Among other things.

Last edited:
For wind, you can't get "exact" like 2 times based on anecdotal evidence. However, there are a few videos that show that the Air 2 is way better in wind than the mini. Here's different days, similar conditions.

Mini:

Air 2:

Somewhere there's a leaf blower test (with the Mavic 2 as well) but couldn't quickly find that video, but similar thing, the mini struggles in places the Air 2 won't.

As far as the range, it will vary greatly on your conditions. The Air 2 has the potential to be much better than the mini, and there are plenty of comparison videos. However, if you are flying in a wifi congested area and immediately heading over trees, you won't get great range with either, although the Air 2 will give you a little more. In good conditions thought, the Air 2 will go much farther.

Here's one comparison As far as the 2 Pro, in the range test sometimes it is a bit ahead and sometimes a bit behind the Air 2. Range is rated for the same with the latest firmware on the Pro 2.

As for the recommendation for the Pro 2, it's a great drone, but you have to decide if the cost is worth it. Outside of photography, it seems to be a little better in wind, with similar range to the Air 2. It's a big price to pay for that, if you aren't interested in the better sensor.

For wind, you can't get "exact" like 2 times based on anecdotal evidence. However, there are a few videos that show that the Air 2 is way better in wind than the mini. Here's different days, similar conditions.

Mini:

Air 2:

Somewhere there's a leaf blower test (with the Mavic 2 as well) but couldn't quickly find that video, but similar thing, the mini struggles in places the Air 2 won't.

As far as the range, it will vary greatly on your conditions. The Air 2 has the potential to be much better than the mini, and there are plenty of comparison videos. However, if you are flying in a wifi congested area and immediately heading over trees, you won't get great range with either, although the Air 2 will give you a little more. In good conditions thought, the Air 2 will go much farther.

Here's one comparison As far as the 2 Pro, in the range test sometimes it is a bit ahead and sometimes a bit behind the Air 2. Range is rated for the same with the latest firmware on the Pro 2.

As for the recommendation for the Pro 2, it's a great drone, but you have to decide if the cost is worth it. Outside of photography, it seems to be a little better in wind, with similar range to the Air 2. It's a big price to pay for that, if you aren't interested in the better sensor.

Thanks for the great advice and links to excellent videos!

I upgraded to the Air 2 from the Mini for the exact two reasons you stated. Very happy with the improved connection and stability. I didn’t think the Pro 2 would be much different except for perhaps minor stability improvement over the Air 2 since it’s heavier (don’t know for sure). I valued the small increase in portability of the Air 2 over the Pro 2’s bigger sensor.

Reactions: Tetrad
I think you made a good choice for your need. Have fun it's a great drone. I had a fabulous day with many flight at many different location ;)

i would prefer hearing anecdotal advice from Air 2 users rather than using the DJI figures.
I flew my M2P for a commercial mission to acquire roof images in up to 30mph gusts. UAV Forecast app stated 35mph at 400 feet. The images came out clear and quite usable by the client.

After landing I looked over at my MA2, and since I had airspace approval I thought I’d fly up to compare images and wind performance. I only flew a couple times across the top of the warehouse, but the flight performance was similar, and the images came out with similar sellable quality.

I can’t offer any computed percentages, but I’d guess the MA2’s wind resistance would be about 5-7mph lower than the M2P. My first thought: They’ve fixed the issues with the Mini by releasing the MA2.

I’m another person that was in the same boat as a few here. I got the MA2 because of the MM wind limits and I also wanted an upgrade in camera. Almost went M2P for the better camera and capabilities but couldn’t justify the extra $ at this time.
I’m glad I added the MA2 as there’s already been a few windy days that I got to fly without worry.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada