DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Upgrade to MP2 from MP?

Michael Ainsworth

Reactions
Have one of first Mavic Pros. Am thinking about buying the MP2, mainly for zoom cam and not video.
Still happy with the MP, have absolutely no issues with How it handles. The only thing I find now is that I am more discerning about the quality of photos. I do a lot of DSLR shooting in RAW format and feel that the MP falls a bit short in quality. Problems with sharpness and tends to be fuzzy in places especially if a lot of trees and foliage around.
Have watched numerous YouTube vids regarding various settings but still not quite happy.
Can I justify spending my hard earned retirement money on the MP2, bearing in mind that my Financial Controller with a big stick has to be persuaded to open her purse strings ?

All I can say is I did the same upgrade & don’t regret it.
I’m sure I’d like an upgrade, but I have the “if I buy an M2P today they will come out with an M3 tomorrow” fear.

Your usage sounds like you will get a noticeable boost going to the M2P and it's the same reason I went for that upgrade as well, I found the 1/2.3in sensor frustrating to work with and while the 1in sensor in the M2P is the smallest of the big sensors it's still a noticeable step up especially in dynamic range and high iso performance. I don't find it's as sharp as other 1in cameras I have (RX10mk2/RX100mk4) but in general if you've worked with 1/2.3in and 1in sensors before you'll have a good idea what sort of benefit you'll get.

If you haven't already it's worth finding some M2P raws and have a play with them to see what you think and should give you a good idea whether it's worth the upgrade.

Have one of first Mavic Pros. Am thinking about buying the MP2, mainly for zoom cam and not video.
You mention the Mavic 2 pro but then you say Zoom.
The Mavic 2 pro has the 1 inch sensor and a controlable aperture.
It would offer a significant improvement in photo quality.
But the Mavic 2 Zoom has the same tiny sensor as your original Mavic and no controllable aperture.
With it you would gain the zoom ability but not a significant photographic improvement.

You mention the Mavic 2 pro but then you say Zoom.
The Mavic 2 pro has the 1 inch sensor and a controlable aperture.
It would offer a significant improvement in photo quality.
But the Mavic 2 Zoom has the same tiny sensor as your original Mavic and no controllable aperture.
With it you would gain the zoom ability but not a significant photographic improvement.
Ok, thanks. I am more interested in just photos and not so much video. I know there are two versions of cameras with MP2. Need to decide which or maybe the New Mini or Air?

Ok, thanks. I am more interested in just photos and not so much video. I know there are two versions of cameras with MP2. Need to decide which or maybe the New Mini or Air?
If you are a photographer on the ground and want the drone for stills ... the obvious choice is the Mavic 2 pro (not the Zoom).

If you are a photographer on the ground and want the drone for stills ... the obvious choice is the Mavic 2 pro (not the Zoom).
I have to agree. I've had my Mavic 2 Pro now for about 6 weeks and I'm very impressed with the quality of the RAW photo files.
I originally swithered over buying the zoom too, but opted for the higher quality of the 1inch sensor in the M2P.

If you hang around for the next best thing you would never buy anything
You are right, but I got burned the first time when I bought my MPP.

Reactions: THE CYBORG
Still happy with the MP, have absolutely no issues with How it handles. The only thing I find now is that I am more discerning about the quality of photos. I do a lot of DSLR shooting in RAW format and feel that the MP falls a bit short in quality. Problems with sharpness and tends to be fuzzy in places especially if a lot of trees and foliage around.
Have watched numerous YouTube vids regarding various settings but still not quite happy.
Can I justify spending my hard earned retirement money on the MP2, bearing in mind that my Financial Controller with a big stick has to be persuaded to open her purse strings ?

To support your business case with the financial controller you should sell the MP first get the funds and then approach. ;)

Reactions: mereflyer
The Mavic 2 is a significant upgrade in quality over the Mavic 1 but the others you mentioned aren’t really an upgrade, especially if you are mainly needing it for photos.

I have the M2P, not the zoom. I fly it more than my P4P’s and the Mavic Pro. The zoom seems to be more suited to video or inspections when it’s not possible to get too close to object you are trying to photograph.

The best answer would be both, zoom and m2 pro
The zoom does have its benefits, but the pictures are certainly better with the m2pro. Lucky me.

Reactions: Drumsagard
3 is on the way i would wait
On the way?
And you know this how?
It's been on the way since the Mavic 2 was released two years ago.
"Rumours" of the impending release of an M3 have been appearing for the last 1.5 years.
No-one has any idea when/if it will be released and no-one will have any idea until just a couple of weeks before release.
Anyone who claims to know, doesn't.

Reactions: SXViper03
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Allezzov