DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Upgrading from my ageing P3 pro. Considering Mini 2 and Air 2S

Hodor

Reactions
Hi,

Have had a drone for many years now, though time with my young kids has meant my "latest" drone the P3 Pro has been gathering dust for a while, and having had reason to use it again this week Ive decided its probably getting a bit long in the tooth now, and the protability of a smaller newer drone would likely mean I would use it more often.

Ive looked at the specs and it seems the camera on the mini 2 appears to have almost the exact same specs as my P3 pro (1/2.3 sensor, same resolution, framerate recoring pf 4k etc etc).

Ive never had any of the collision sensors etc of the air 2S, and I havent had any of the more photography friendly items like the smart shots or any of the autonomous stuff. However there is an appeal of the larger sensor and these smart modes as I dont fly very often, certainly not often enough to have completely mastered panning smoothly and keeping subject centred. I can do it to a degree, and circling round an object is easy enough using the P3.

Both drones appear infinitley more portable than my P3P, so I would assume moving to either of them would satisfy my desire to have amore portable drone meaning I will take it out more often (cycle rides etc), I doubt I wouldbe using either at night, so doubt the 1 inch sensor would be used to its maximum pottential, though I guess it would provide some benefit on dull days (which we get plenty of in the UK).

Whilst I dont mind the extra cost of the Air 2S over the mini 2, will i see the benefit of the extra automated features, will I see the benefit of the better camera as a hobbyist? The rules in the UK for drones under 250g also mean I may be able to use in more places (although I am a registered drone pilot and therefor both choices will put me in A1 I believe). My current P3 Pro is now legacy and falls into A3, meaning I shall need a new machine if I want to get closer than 150m to any subject, including my own garden as neighbours are within 150m

Happy to hear from owners of botha dn see any suggestions from other owners...

Reactions: ATW
I own a mini and a mini 2 and I would love to get a Air 2S. If you can spare the cash, go 2S for sure. But you would be missing out on the mini which is a sheer joy to fly and takes portability and ease of use to the absolute max.

Here in Canada, even with a drone license, there are places that the mini is your only real option for flying without the headache of being denied permission to fly. So why not mini 2 then buy 2S when it is cheaper, say on Amazon Prime day?

Reactions: Gagey52 and ATW
Here in Canada, even with a drone license, there are places that the mini is your only real option.
For tourists visiting Canada a sub-250gram Mini actually is your only option.

Anything weighing more than 250 grams must be registered and you must hold at least a Basic licence to fly it in Canada. But you also need to be at least 14 years old and a citizen of Canada in order to obtain that licence and registration. [See CARS 901.04] The only way for tourists to get around those requirements is to apply for, and receive, a Special Flight Operations Certificate (SFOC), and good luck with that. [See CARS 903.01(c)]

However, even foreign tourists are currently permitted to fly sub-250 gram micro-drones in Canada subject to complying with the "Don't be stupid" rule - CARS 900.06, which says:

"900.06 No person shall operate a remotely piloted aircraft system in such a reckless or negligent manner as to endanger or be likely to endanger aviation safety or the safety of any person."

Welcome, if your only using occasionally, the Air2S is a big investment to have sitting around. The mini 2 is a great little a/c that has all the requirement that even the most exacting hobbyists could need.
Hope this helps, enjoy your drone.
Regards

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bertmag