DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Upgrading M3 Experience

Dale D

Reactions
Site
vimeo.com
I just spent the better part of one hour trying to upgrade my M3. It was a great humbling but learning experience for me. I am no computer genius. but a bit better than the average man on the street, and a little bit lower than most of you guys here on this superb forum.
Here is what I learned;
It was not automatic! I did not get an alert or notice when I turned on my RC Pro and M3 as one of you had mentioned and as I had hoped. Oh, no, that would be too easy.

I needed to upgrade all three (3) things! The DJI Assistant 2, the Mavic 3, and the RC Controller each separately. At first I tried to upgrade from my old DJI Assistant 2 and it did not seem to work.

Please note, you cannot do the upgrade to get the new Waypoints with the old DJI Assistant 2 app.

So I needed to do the following;

1, DJI Assistant 2. from 1.90 to V2.1.15 from the DJI Downloads site under Mavic 3
2. Mavic 3 plugging into the computer with the new DJI Asst 2 open- download and install aircraft from 01.00.0900 to 01.00.1000
3. RC Pro Controller- plugged into the computer with the DJI Assist 2 open- download and install from V03.01.1100 to V 03.01.1200

The downloads and the installations were two separate progress blue bars.

Any problems along the way? YES. You bet!

I learned that first I had to uninstall the old DJI Assistant 2. Secondly, My MAC did not want to let me install the new app because they named it an un-recognized party. I had to FORCE my MAC to accept it. (click -install anyway). Apple made me constantly enter my password.

Both the RC pro and the M3 had to be on all the time.

After all of this, I took my bird outside and launched it and lo and behold the new waypoint icon was on my screen, and my screen under "about" had all the new numbers. Aircraft 01.00.1000;RC 03.01.1200, DJI Asst 2 V2 1.15

Yeah!

Dale

I upgraded my RC Pro/Mavic 3 this morning with the following steps that worked for the last update as well.

1. Turn on both the drone as well as the controller. The controller in my case is set to connect to my house wireless network.

2. You will be informed of the update with a dialogue box that tells you the update is available and gives you the option of downloading it.

3. DJI will also let you know that an update is available for the controller.

I gave up on even bothering with DJI Assistant 2. It works from my older Intel based Mac laptop but is a complete waste of time on my Studio Mac (M1 Max chip). The above works fine from both the laptop as well as the Studio computers.

The mandatory step is that the controller has to be able to see the drone with the controller connected to the internet.

Last edited:
I upgraded my RC Pro/Mavic 3 this morning with the following steps that worked for the last update as well.

1. Turn on both the drone as well as the controller. The controller in my case is set to connect to my house wireless network.

2. You will be informed of the update with a dialogue box that tells you the update is available and gives you the option of downloading it.

3. DJI will also let you know that an update is available for the controller.

I gave up on even bothering with DJI Assistant 2. It works from my older Intel based Mac laptop but is a complete waste of time on my Studio Mac (M1 Max chip). The above works fine from both the laptop as well as the Studio computers.

The mandatory step is that the controller has to be able to see the drone with the controller connected to the internet.
Yeah I didn't need DJI Assistant at all nor have I ever used it to update my Mavic 3. The RC Pro and the drone being on at the same time has always worked in my case.

Reactions: Moving Zen
Looks like there's a DJI Fly update to 1.9.0 (1865) as well

I just spent the better part of one hour trying to upgrade my M3. It was a great humbling but learning experience for me. I am no computer genius. but a bit better than the average man on the street, and a little bit lower than most of you guys here on this superb forum.
Here is what I learned;
It was not automatic! I did not get an alert or notice when I turned on my RC Pro and M3 as one of you had mentioned and as I had hoped. Oh, no, that would be too easy.

I needed to upgrade all three (3) things! The DJI Assistant 2, the Mavic 3, and the RC Controller each separately. At first I tried to upgrade from my old DJI Assistant 2 and it did not seem to work.

Please note, you cannot do the upgrade to get the new Waypoints with the old DJI Assistant 2 app.

1, DJI Assistant 2. from 1.90 to V2.1.15 from the DJI Downloads site under Mavic 3
2. Mavic 3 plugging into the computer with the new DJI Asst 2 open- download and install aircraft from 01.00.0900 to 01.00.1000
3. RC Pro Controller- plugged into the computer with the DJI Assist 2 open- download and install from V03.01.1100 to V 03.01.1200

I learned that first I had to uninstall the old DJI Assistant 2. Secondly, My MAC did not want to let me install the new app because they named it an un-recognized party. I had to FORCE my MAC to accept it. (click -install anyway). Apple made me constantly enter my password.

After all of this, I took my bird outside and launched it and lo and behold the new waypoint icon was on my screen, and my screen under "about" had all the new numbers. Aircraft 01.00.1000;RC 03.01.1200, DJI Asst 2 V2 1.15

Yeah!

Dale
I don't see the Assistant 2 update that supports Mavic 3/Classic. The DJI.com/ca does not show any version of Assistant 2 for Mavic 3. However the firmware updates seem to work fine over wifi. I am in Canada and we are forced to dci.com/ca

when doing any sort of firmware update ,regardless of whether it is for the drone ,and or controller ,it is always best policy to have the new DJI RC connected to the drone during the update, that way if for instance i had a mavic 3 ,then having the RC and drone connected during the latest update would not only have installed the latest App update ,but would have added the firmware to the drone for the new waypoints feature all at the same time
always try to have at least 75% charge in the RC and drone ,because some of these updates can take quite a while ,to download and install

Here is what I learned;

Yeah!

Dale
Dale - does this new feature allow you to simply program waypoints or will it allow you to set radius of curvature and gimbal position at each waypoint like Litchi? Can you program it to capture still images at selected waypoints, or just fly the route?

I need to wait for the rain to stop to try this out here.

Dale - does this new feature allow you to simply program waypoints or will it allow you to set radius of curvature and gimbal position at each waypoint like Litchi? Can you program it to capture still images at selected waypoints, or just fly the route?

I need to wait for the rain to stop to try this out here.
Watch this video and it will explain everything you need to know about the new Waypoints.

Watch this video and it will explain everything you need to know about the new Waypoints.

This is a great summary of how to use this very nice new feature. From what I see this does everything that Litchi does with one exception. I cannot run this in Google Earth Pro to preview and tune it prior to flying the mission. I very much appreciate it that DJI added this feature.

Does anyone know if collision avoidance is disabled when flying a waypoint mission?

Reactions: Hauptmann
Did anyone experience any bugs when using the new M3 waypoints?
Overall it's nice and has a lot of advance features. However, it feels a bit unstable. Especially when trying to move a waypoint to a new location. Attempting to do so causes the app to crash. Also the green path between waypoints doesn't always appear on the map. Same true with the POI icon. With that said I'm delighted with having this capability. Thank you DJI!

Reactions: Hauptmann
Yes the sensors all work in Waypoint mode.
One bizarre problem I had was I couldn't seem to get out of Waypoint mode in the map view. I could revert to camera view but in the maps view, there doesn't seem to be a way to exit. If you tap the waypoint icon it goes from yellow back to white but the view is still in waypoint mode. If you click Back you exit the Fly app.
Another issue is that the battery status is not displayed in map view.
I did have the waypoint mode crash in the RC Pro, when I was trying to set the POI. At first POI didn't even show but then the app crashed and it all worked fine afterwards.

Last edited:
Here is what I learned;

Yeah!

Dale
Dale: Quick question. Before going through all this did you try going to Profile, settings, check for updates? If you have the drone connected/powered-on that almost always works. I sometimes skip the update to do something first , then need to do this to recheck since it won't notify again.

As to the "new" version of DJI Assistant, I being it's now called DJI Assistant for Consumer Drones, for anyone looking. I have used it many times to roll back Firmware, then reinstall the version I want or reinstall the latest (you can't reinstall FW that is already on the Drone and Controller in most cases unless it's a partially failed installation.

Reactions: JoelP
Dale: Quick question. Before going through all this did you try going to Profile, settings, check for updates? If you have the drone connected/powered-on that almost always works. I sometimes skip the update to do something first , then need to do this to recheck since it won't notify again.

As to the "new" version of DJI Assistant, I being it's now called DJI Assistant for Consumer Drones, for anyone looking. I have used it many times to roll back Firmware, then reinstall the version I want or reinstall the latest (you can't reinstall FW that is already on the Drone and Controller in most cases unless it's a partially failed installation.
Hi Joel:
Of course I WISHED that when I turned on my M3 and fired her up for a flight , the RC Pro would have TOLD me there is an update. The RC Pro knows it is me. Nothing would have been easier that to see an update notice. I guess I am missing something that others on the forum have.

In any case, here is what I had to do to make things work;

Uninstall DJI Assistant 2 from my Mac

Install DJI Assistant 2 app from 1.8.0 to 1.9

Upgrade M3 by plugging it into the MAC with the new DJI Assistant 2 on screen. The M3 shows up on the DJI Asst. 2. The upgrade was from 01.00.0900 to 01.00.1000.

The process first installed the software on to my computer, then uploaded to my M3. Each of these steps was shown by a blue progress line which took about 5 minutes.

Upgraded the RC Pro the same way- from 03.01.1100. to 03.01.1200

I am devoting some time today to now work on learning the new way points, which now shows up as an icon on the screen of my RC pro!

Dale

Dale - thanks for the detailed explanation of how to make waypoints work, but it still seems to not work. Here is the path I followed:

1. Started my drone and RCN1 controller and before taking off looked to see if there was a firmware update, and there was.
2. I updated the firmware using the Fly app from my iPhone.
3. I saw no icon on the left side of the screen for waypoints, so I took it up a few feet and still nothing.
4. Bringing my M3 inside I followed the lead of yours and uninstalled my current DJI Assistant 2 version and reinstalled what I thought was the correct and current version then connected my M3.
5. It failed to recognize my M3 so I uninstalled the DJI Assistant 2 again and reinstalled a different version that showed up after I went to the Mavic 3 page.
6. I restarted the M3 with a USBC connection to my Windows PC and it recognized the Mavic 3 and allowed me to refresh the firmware update.
7. When this was completed, I repeated this with the RCN1 controller plugged into the PC and refreshed that firmware until it said "complete".
8. I restarted the M3 with the controller and once again there was no icon for waypoints. I check the optional settings for the Fn button and saw no option for waypoints there either.

Does this only work for the Pro controller?

Thanks in advance for any further advice as to what else I might have overlooked.

Dale - thanks for the detailed explanation of how to make waypoints work, but it still seems to not work. Here is the path I followed:

1. Started my drone and RCN1 controller and before taking off looked to see if there was a firmware update, and there was.
2. I updated the firmware using the Fly app from my iPhone.
3. I saw no icon on the left side of the screen for waypoints, so I took it up a few feet and still nothing.
4. Bringing my M3 inside I followed the lead of yours and uninstalled my current DJI Assistant 2 version and reinstalled what I thought was the correct and current version then connected my M3.
5. It failed to recognize my M3 so I uninstalled the DJI Assistant 2 again and reinstalled a different version that showed up after I went to the Mavic 3 page.
6. I restarted the M3 with a USBC connection to my Windows PC and it recognized the Mavic 3 and allowed me to refresh the firmware update.
7. When this was completed, I repeated this with the RCN1 controller plugged into the PC and refreshed that firmware until it said "complete".
8. I restarted the M3 with the controller and once again there was no icon for waypoints. I check the optional settings for the Fn button and saw no option for waypoints there either.

Does this only work for the Pro controller?

Thanks in advance for any further advice as to what else I might have overlooked.
Did you update Fly to 1.9.0?

Did you update Fly to 1.9.0?
Yes- I have finally figured it out. I had to go to my Profile on the RC Pro, log in with my DJI e-mail and password, go to settings, and upload maps. When I uploaded the latest firmware of the RC Pro it automatically uploaded Fly 1.9.0.

Thank you. I have already configured, off line with my RC Pro only (M3 not on), my first pre-planned Way Points and saved it.

Thanks Joel.

Dale

Reactions: zeusfl
I am not sure what I did since I was already at Fly version 1.9.0, but I restarted Fly and went into Profile as Dale suggested. It immediately recognized that it was my account when I went there. Next, I went to the launch screen and, lo and behold, there was the waypoint icon. I am not entirely sure why, but I am very pleased that this new feature is now there and seems to work. If the rain would stop briefly, I will go try this out. Thanks for the help, Dale.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bahamaboy242