DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Upgrading Mavic mini camera

Physically the camera hardware is the same, so it wouldn't be an upgrade.

The difference will be in the board that does the image processing/video compression.

I understood it was the same camera in the Mini and Mini 2. Does anyone out there have both models and care to comment on their video results?

Physically the camera hardware is the same, so it wouldn't be an upgrade.

The difference will be in the board that does the image processing/video compression.
So is it possible to replace the boards?

I don't think anyone has tried. Be a pioneer, get a mini2 main board and swap it out and see what happens🙂

What is it you're ultimately wanting to achieve? Get raw stills and 4k on a mini1? As the mini1 has a few other design weak points (props prone to warping, underpowered motors, relatively weak transmission power flimsy arms...) people just get a mini2 instead.

I don't think anyone has tried. Be a pioneer, get a mini2 main board and swap it out and see what happens🙂

What is it you're ultimately wanting to achieve? Get raw stills and 4k on a mini1? As the mini1 has a few other design weak points (props prone to warping, underpowered motors, relatively weak transmission power flimsy arms...) people just get a mini2 instead.
Yea maybe I will but kinda weary because this is my first drone. Yeah I really just want the camera bump without buying a new drone.

Be aware that even replacing like-for-like components on DJI drones is fraught with issues. Gimbal modules typically need to be paired with the main board before they'll behave properly.

I've got a mini 1. I wouldn't mind having 4k and raw capability, but it's not actually that big a step up from what the mini1 can do. Sure, it's better, but less than what the hype would lead you to think. Its all still relying on the same lens and sensor after all.

Last edited:
Reactions: chiangmaicharlies
Okay, I keep seeing "Mavic Mini" and Mavic Mini 2" Are we talking DJI Mini here? If so the name Mavic doesn't come into it. That's a whole different line. Must be the translation from the Chinese.
The first of the DJI "mini" series was called the Mavic Mini, but is often referred to as the mini 1 to differentiate it from the mini2. The second model ditched the Mavic name and just got called the Mini 2, but sometimes the old Mavic name creeps back in by those so used to using the name.

Hi there, im a Dji Technician,
Both cameras mini 1 / se / 2 are the same, dji only changes de lens that has de 4k/silver label, but the hardware its the same.

the things occurs on the mainboard, that are not the same and has diferent capabilities for decoding image, here is where 4K appears Haha!

you can upgrade your mini 1 installing a mini2 mainboard, and use it as is.
but you will have to Recode the gimbal with python software, if don't do this, the gimbal does not calibrate.

also a message of "Gimbal Imu Error" will appear forever, works great but the error when you start your drone will stay forever.!

hope this helps u !

Feel free to to try but I think you will end up spending more on the “upgrade” than just buying a used (or even brand new) mini 2. I also am not sure if the m1 controller can even support 4K videoing (probably can just not completely sure). I would say just upgrade to mini 2 because you gain so much features, performance, and quality for probably less money than upgrading m1
Good luck!

Feel free to to try but I think you will end up spending more on the “upgrade” than just buying a used (or even brand new) mini 2. I also am not sure if the m1 controller can even support 4K videoing (probably can just not completely sure). I would say just upgrade to mini 2 because you gain so much features, performance, and quality for probably less money than upgrading m1
Good luck!
All the 4k video happens on the drone image processing board and gets saved onto the SD card. The controller doesn't really get involved.

I'd also say that upgrading to a full mini 2 would be a better choice than obtaining (where from?! a donor mini2?) a mini2 main board and inserting it into a mini1 with all the pitfalls and uncertainties associated with that. Remember that you're not getting a vastly better camera - it's the same hardware supported by a slightly improved mainboard. If better image quality is what you're after then a higher spec drone is what you need (eg Air 2, Air2s, mini3 etc) along with the bigger price tag.

Reactions: Mavic Merrick
I believe the camera/gimbal is hardware locked to the board and wouldn't allow an unauthorized swap at that part (though you can replace motors etc).

Edit : hardware locked in the sense that even if you swapped with the exact same model part. It won't work because it's encrypted to that specific one paired when manufactured.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato