DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Upgrading my monitor

I went from the mini 4 to the Tripltek Pro.

I thought about a Smart Controller for the bright screen but thought I'd get more use from the Tripltek, which has the brightest screen of all the tablets.

I use the tablet holder and the Tripletek adaptor from Thor's Drone World along with a lanyard for comfortable flights in the sun or shade.

Good Luck. :)

Mini 5 will be the cheaper, better choice. Besides, it is the same size as your Mini 4, and an easy transition. Much lighter than any other alternative. The SC is very long in the tooth, crazy expensive, and will require using a proprietary Android version of DJI Fly, which is quite different from the iOS version, with you are already are familiar.

Reactions: Fergy
Reactions: MA2 317
Spent a month looking at monitors. As said before, I am in no hurry and like to check out things before I buy. I am a ham and have spend months looking at equipment. So what did I finally go with. The Tripltek as stated above. I am impressed with it.

Hi,
Time has come to upgrade my Ipad Mini 4, thinking of the DJI Smart controller or the Ipad mini 5 but am open to suggestions on what other users have and there thoughts.
I'm using the Tripltek Pro also. It runs all the DJI Apps. I did have to download the DJI FLY app directly from DJI to the Tripltek to install it. It is heavy due to its battery which is needed to power the very bright screen. Even on a sunny day on the white sandy beaches of Florida, I can see the screen very well. I attached velcro to the back of the Tripltek and the R/C holder to give it better stability.

Reactions: MA2 317 and Fergy
For someone coming from a super lightweight iPad Mini 4, the excessive weight of the expensive Android only Triptek Pro, requiring a bulky, expensive Lifthor mount, will be a huge change, compared to staying with the far better, already familiar iOS version of DJI Fly, and merely upgrading to an iPad Mini 5, which will fit his existing mount perfectly. With the saved difference in price, he could also buy a Mini 2, with which he could use the same iPad Mini 5!

For someone coming from a super lightweight iPad Mini 4, the excessive weight of the expensive Android only Triptek Pro, requiring a bulky, expensive Lifthor mount, will be a huge change, compared to staying with the far better, already familiar iOS version of DJI Fly, and merely upgrading to an iPad Mini 5, which will fit his existing mount perfectly. With the saved difference in price, he could also buy a Mini 2, with which he could use the same iPad Mini 5!
It IS heavy and bulky. You definitely need something prefabricated like lifthor or something DIY to hold it securely in place. It's a great workout, holding it during a flight. My biceps and shoulders are huge now! lol

I pay no attention to the weight any more. Do need to get the wife to take up a couple inches on the neck strap. Love the video you get with the thing.

Any thoughts on whether the Tripltek will continue to serve as such a great platform once software updates or entirety new systems are introduced?

It seems to be very expensive for a tablet with very few functions...

Any thoughts on whether the Tripltek will continue to serve as such a great platform once software updates or entirety new systems are introduced?

It seems to be very expensive for a tablet with very few functions...
Not as expensive as the Smart Controller and yes the Triplek Android system will update as well as other Android devices

a tablet with very few functions...
What do you think a Tripltek Tablet is? It's a normal every day high end Android 64bit, 8 core tablet with 8gb of RAM and 128gb of internal memory and Mini SD card expansion. It runs all the normal Apps from the App store. Plus it doubles as a phone, just by slipping in your sim card. It has a front and back facing camera w flash.
It's display is 1200 nits, That doesn't dim when it's hot or in the sun.
It has 4G LTE, GPS, WIFI, and Bluetooth
It's Fast. Has a Long Lasting Battery @ 10,000 mah.
Compatible with All Drones
Practically indestructible

Am I missing something?

These are the reasons I won't waist my money on a Smart Controller, with very few functions.

What do you think a Tripltek Tablet is? It's a normal every day high end Android 64bit, 8 core tablet with 8gb of RAM and 128gb of internal memory and Mini SD card expansion. It runs all the normal Apps from the App store. Plus it doubles as a phone, just by slipping in your sim card. It has a front and back facing camera w flash.
It's display is 1200 nits, That doesn't dim when it's hot or in the sun.
It has 4G LTE, GPS, WIFI, and Bluetooth
It's Fast. Has a Long Lasting Battery @ 10,000 mah.
Compatible with All Drones
Practically indestructible

Am I missing something?

These are the reasons I won't waist my money on a Smart Controller, with very few functions.
Thanks, perhaps I was not clear.

An average Android tablet costs a half the price and while it lacks a phone (which I don't see as an advantage in a tablet) it is less bulky and therefore more suitable for other tasks and it's price allows one to replace it more often to keep up with the progress drone software will be expected to make.

Getting a dedicated industrial tablet for your drone is great in terms of brightness and stability but you need to understand that you'll be paying more and getting less than a plain tablet which will serve other functions and be replaced every 2-3 years.

Correct me if you feel I'm looking at this issue incorrectly.

Lifthor is NoT the only one that as adapters for the Tripltek tablet. I bought an adaptor from, Aerial-Pixel (approved vendor on here) for $18.0(USD)

Reactions: Jagerbomb52

An average Android tablet costs a half the price and while it lacks a phone (which I don't see as an advantage in a tablet) it is less bulky and therefore more suitable for other tasks and it's price allows one to replace it more often to keep up with the progress drone software will be expected to make.

Getting a dedicated industrial tablet for your drone is great in terms of brightness and stability but you need to understand that you'll be paying more and getting less than a plain tablet which will serve other functions and be replaced every 2-3 years.

I think of it as more of a monitor for my drone. One that can be used between other drones that I own. I did not buy it as a tablet to watch movies or play games. I don't plan on replacing it every few years as you mentioned. I have Yuneec drones that have displays built into the controller. Had them for years. Don't every plan on replacing them with new ones till they break. To me your either buying a dedicated piece of hardware for your drone or a tablet the whole family uses.
20210825_202658.jpg

I think of it as more of a monitor for my drone. One that can be used between other drones that I own. I did not buy it as a tablet to watch movies or play games. I don't plan on replacing it every few years as you mentioned. I have Yuneec drones that have displays built into the controller. Had them for years. Don't every plan on replacing them with new ones till they break. To me your either buying a dedicated piece of hardware for your drone or a tablet the whole family uses.
View attachment 134234
I would do the same if I wasn't concerned it will not keep up with software updates...

Not true. You can purchase the Smart Controller that has limited functions and DJI is known for not updating the OS of their devices. I've owned the Crystalsky 7.85 Ultra Bright for years and there has never been an update. Also, as I've stated before, the Crystalsky (won't work with DJI Fly) and The Smart Controller are more expensive. But look, I'm not trying to sell you on the Tripltek, go buy an iPad mini 5 and suffer to see the screen in the bright sun.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stokdgenetics