DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Upgrading to Mavic 2 Pro

ERC

Reactions
Having recently bought a Mavic Mini to test the waters and see if I'd ever use a drone, I am now hooked and want to upgrade to the Mavic 2 Pro. :) Considering all the regulation changes in July and the talk of a Mavic 3 Pro sometime soon, am I better off waiting a couple of months to see how that unfolds? Currently I am only using the drone recreationally with a view to do some commercial work after July when I can get the relevant permissions.

Reactions: Hauptmann
You can wait to see what DJI will release this year or get the Mavic Pro 2 now or in a few more months. They may get drop in price.

Reactions: ERC
The mavic pro 2 is a near professional incredible drone. I would learn/practice with your mini for a couple months and see what happens on the mavic 2(3) situation and then make your next buying decision. There is a lot to learn flying a drone! Enjoy the mini! P.S. I have the mavic 2 Pro?

Having flown a LOT of DJI hardware, I can say that you can't go wrong with the M2P. It's a very solid machine, that is stable during flight, with a beautiful camera system.

I have a P4P that I reserve for ATTI mode flight and mapping, but for the most part the M2P has taken over the majority of the duties.

I would echo most of the sentiments above. I bought the M2P as my first drone ever about a year ago and just love it. It flys like a dream and takes great photos and stunning videos. Zero regrets. The one thing I would caution you is when DJI releases a new drone it typically has issues for a while that usually get resolved eventually with firmware updates. To avoid this headache I would wait 4-6 months before pulling the trigger on a new model.

Thanks for the advice. I absolute love the mini but there are a few things that I would like to have such as 4k, a better range (I only get around 300-400m on the mini) and a bit more stability in the wind.

Releasing autel evo 2 will push dji to create mavic 3 pro very soon. Dont think we will wait more then 6 months for this. It is not good idea to buy mavic 2 pro in my opinion. If you want drone now why not buy evo 2? It is much better then m2pro in almost everything.

Reactions: RogerMav and ERC
Releasing autel evo 2 will push dji to create mavic 3 pro very soon. Dont think we will wait more then 6 months for this. It is not good idea to buy mavic 2 pro in my opinion. If you want drone now why not buy evo 2? It is much better then m2pro in almost everything.

Not heard of that. I will look into it. I probably will stay with DJI though after using the mini.

Reactions: hashfly
Having recently bought a Mavic Mini to test the waters and see if I'd ever use a drone, I am now hooked and want to upgrade to the Mavic 2 Pro. :) Considering all the regulation changes in July and the talk of a Mavic 3 Pro sometime soon, am I better off waiting a couple of months to see how that unfolds? Currently I am only using the drone recreationally with a view to do some commercial work after July when I can get the relevant permissions.
I went through the same thing you are going through now. Started with the MM and then ended up getting a M2P with fly more combo. I just got an email from DJI and they are discounting the M2P 14% on their store site. I bought mine just before Christmas from B&H using their Payboo cc and they pay the tax plus free shipping. I'm glad I didn't wait.

Jerry.

The Mavic 5, due in 3.5 years, is rumored to be an outstanding drone. I'd recommend waiting until that one comes out, then not purchasing it until they announce the Mavic 6 so that you can get a good deal on the M5. ?

The Mavic 5, due in 3.5 years, is rumored to be an outstanding drone. I'd recommend waiting until that one comes out, then not purchasing it until they announce the Mavic 6 so that you can get a good deal on the M5. [emoji106]
By that time, hobby flying as we know will only be with a commercial license and also be remote ID. More restrictive and intrusive than any time before.

The EVO2 with 48MP is pretty crappy. Take a look at actual RAW files before you say "it's much better then M2P in almost everything." That's just not true at all. 48MP of crap with a ****** 1/2" sensor as opposed to a HASSELBLAD 1" sensor. No brainer to chose Hasselblad over EVO2's 1/2" and 1" sensors. Take a look at TomsTechTime raw files from an actual EVO2.

The EVO2 with 48MP is pretty crappy. Take a look at actual RAW files before you say "it's much better then M2P in almost everything." That's just not true at all. 48MP of crap with a ****** 1/2" sensor as opposed to a HASSELBLAD 1" sensor. No brainer to chose Hasselblad over EVO2's 1/2" and 1" sensors. Take a look at TomsTechTime raw files from an actual EVO2.
You are comparing the wrong drone... The Autel Evo 2, 8K version is basically a Mavic 2 Zoom but if you choose the 6K version, that's the one comparable to the Mavic 2 Pro. The 6K have the following specs: 1-inch CMOS sensor and 29mm (full-frame equivalent) focal length optics with adjustable aperture (f/2.8-f/11). The sensor offers maximum resolution of 20MP (5,472 x 3,648px), the ISO range is 100-12,800.

The Mavic Pro 2 doesn't have a Hasselblad anything, it's just used as a brand and it's a Sony 1in sensor inside which I suspect will also be the case for the Autel as well given I'm not aware of any other companies manufacturing 1in sensors at the moment and it has the same 20MP resolution. The M2P's output is an improvement over the smaller sensors but it's nothing special for the sensor size, it's behind the Sony 1in cameras and from what I've read the P4P as well.

IMHO, the M2P camera is more than "good enough" and I'd bet that the VAST majority of drone flyers couldn't tell the difference by the time any given video clip hits YouTube. The reasons to choose Autel vs DJI has to do much more with DJI's increasingly intrusive and oppressive software architecture, and their truly baffling and arbitrary customer service.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shandilya