DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Uploading DEM to Litchi?

Rymong

Reactions
Hello all. I'm new here, hoping for some help. I need to fly terrain following missions over a large path of jungle. I have a detailed DEM of the canopy, which I'm trying to upload to Litchi. I've converted it into an .asc file from a .tif using a program called Quick Terrain Modeler. When I try to upload the .asc file, either Litchi doesn't try (if the file size is very large) or gets hung saying "Loading...100%" with a spinning wheel (if the file size is more manageable). Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Can you extract a smaller portion of the file that covers your subject area? I've uploaded ascII into Litchi before and it worked fine. I used GlobalMapper to convert the DEM.

Using Global Mapper worked. Thank you! I see the transparent green grid box in the Litchi mission hub, but when I start building waypoints over it, Litchi alerts me that it doesn't have any elevation data. Are you able to know what I am doing wrong?

Attachments

• litchi error.JPG
    litchi error.JPG
    143.3 KB · Views: 19
Using Global Mapper worked. Thank you! I see the transparent green grid box in the Litchi mission hub, but when I start building waypoints over it, Litchi alerts me that it doesn't have any elevation data. Are you able to know what I am doing wrong?
I'm not sure. I just tried it using a DEM for your area and converted it to ASCII format with GlobalMapper. It works fine. Points 1-5 are on the grid and point 6 gave me a warning of no elevation data, being off the grid. Where did you get your DEM?

Attachments

• capture_001_18052019_160258.jpg
    capture_001_18052019_160258.jpg
    260.9 KB · Views: 16
We've built the DEM from scratch by flying photogrammetery missions over the jungle canopy with a Mavic Pro last year. I've got a 1.6gb tif with what should be sub-4cm accuracy. I used Global Mapper to convert the .tif into tiles that are in .asc format.

To make sure I'm doing it correctly...if I'm uploading a DEM, then in settings, USE ONLINE ELEVATIONS should be unchecked. Correct?

Or if it is to be checked, how do I now if Litchi is using my elevations over the ones on its servers?

To make sure I'm doing it correctly...if I'm uploading a DEM, then in settings, USE ONLINE ELEVATIONS should be unchecked. Correct?

Or if it is to be checked, how do I now if Litchi is using my elevations over the ones on its servers?
"Online Elevations" should be unchecked, that is correct. I assume you have "Above Ground" checked since you're using a surface model. From GlobalMapper you would choose 'file', 'export', 'export elevation grid format' and choose ARC ASCII Grid as the format. Perhaps your high res DSM is too much for Litchi. You might try increasing your sample spacing on export. Centimeter accuracy is overkill for a drone that has 10 feet accuracy at best. It might take some trial and error. I've never used one of my drone DSMs as an import, so I'm not sure how much the Mission Hub can handle.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000