DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Upper visual IR sensor indoors

Ralph thompson

Reactions
Interesting observation, flying indoors with no GPS (or possibly very weak GPS but no GPS indications) and all visual sensors turned off, Go4 shows ATTI mode. But in fact the upper IR sensor does still operate at about 4 feet from the ceiling, the M2P altitude is limited, trying to increase altitude doesn't work. A red upper obstacle warning is shown. So just to be absolutely sure that the sensor was the only limiting input, I taped a small piece of paper over the sensor and there was no altitude limiting anymore. A nice feature but I wonder why its just not a switch in the sensor settings. Maybe DJI figure there's no reason for you to want to fly close to an upper obstacle.

You will also find the the bottom sensors are still active but, the upward looking sensors can over ride them, in or out of doors. I once forced an M2P/Z to the ground by gradually lowering my hand over the upward looking censors i.e. no joystick etc. commands.
I find the upward looking sensors a bit of a pain indoors and hadn't thought to mask them, thanks for that.
How opaque was the paper you used?

I just cut about an inch wide piece of sticky note, stuck it on the battery so it over lapped the sensor, then added a bit of scotch tape to be sure. It‘s an IR sensor so it can’t see through paper.
Ive only tested this in my house but need to be able to climb to about 50 feet in a indoor construction site. I’m hoping there’s no other height limitations. I read that there was an 80’ limit in ATTI so in my case, that would not be a problem.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada