DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Upside Down Flying a Mavic Pro Platinum?

rconradvt

Reactions
Hello All!

I have been flying my MPP for about 4 1/2 hours of flight time. I am very new to this type of flying, I have my Private Pilot, VFR Rated License, and have to say this Mavic drone is almost as much fun as a Cessna, and can do much better video and photos. Lots of people have approached me when I fly my Quad Copter and ask me all kinds of questions. The three most heard is how high, how far, and how fast? Today I was flying in about a 10 MPH wind. As I cleared a house roof edge the Quad buffeted in the updraft and I thought is was going to flip upside down. My spoter then asked me "can it right itself if it flips upside down?" What say you all? This is a very well made and designed piece of machinery, very stable, but can it be flipped upside down and will it right it self or auger down into the earth as far as the little plastic props will chew?

Hello All!

I have been flying my MPP for about 4 1/2 hours of flight time. I am very new to this type of flying, I have my Private Pilot, VFR Rated License, and have to say this Mavic drone is almost as much fun as a Cessna, and can do much better video and photos. Lots of people have approached me when I fly my Quad Copter and ask me all kinds of questions. The three most heard is how high, how far, and how fast? Today I was flying in about a 10 MPH wind. As I cleared a house roof edge the Quad buffeted in the updraft and I thought is was going to flip upside down. My spoter then asked me "can it right itself if it flips upside down?" What say you all? This is a very well made and designed piece of machinery, very stable, but can it be flipped upside down and will it right it self or auger down into the earth as far as the little plastic props will chew?
It can very effectively I might add. The only issue is that you would have to modify parameters so that it doesn’t disarm the motors after flipping. By default the motors will disarm at a certain attitude limit. Many people turn off their motors after hand catching by flipping it over on its back.

So it CAN but unless you modify the software it WON’T.

That mod would most likely be beyond my talents.

It will recover from a flip provided it has enough height
As I used to say in my Cessna days "altitude is insurance" :)

I read on the Phantom Pilots Forum of a guy that clipped a power line with the landing gear of a P4P and it righted itself and hovered just before it hit the ground

It can very effectively I might add. The only issue is that you would have to modify parameters so that it doesn’t disarm the motors after flipping. By default the motors will disarm at a certain attitude limit. Many people turn off their motors after hand catching by flipping it over on its back.

So it CAN but unless you modify the software it WON’T.

For obvious reasons the motors will not shut down in mid-air due to tilt - that requires OSD_groundOrSky = "Ground".

Reactions: gspell
For obvious reasons the motors will not shut down in mid-air due to tilt - that requires OSD_groundOrSky = "Ground".
Hmm... interesting so if you hit something AND it flips that must flag something else that kills the motors then? Is ground/sky determined by IMU or sensor data?

Hmm... interesting so if you hit something AND it flips that must flag something else that kills the motors then? Is ground/sky determined by IMU or sensor data?

If it hits something in mid-air causing it to flip - branch, bird or whatever - then it would obviously be a bad idea to program it to shut down the motors. On the other hand, if it is on the ground upside down, or being held upside down, then it is desirable to shut down the motors. The ground/sky flag is the same criterion that kills the motors after landing - i.e. it switches to ground when it detects no further descent.

You just can't help yourself can you! Start lookin for a third pro now;)

Is it possible to flip the MPP quad on purpose durring flight. Maybe sport mode? Just asking for a friend....

No - that requires full manual mode.

....and a setting the gimbal to FPV mode. But the roll axis will not barking as a true FPV copter at all,like cam on a XinLin 161 or on diverse race copters do.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corbo2000