DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Upstate NY THATCHER PARK

Splue

Reactions
Hey folks,
I'm still very new to shooting and editing. Just after this video did I learn about the proper adjustments to shutter speed and fps and how they work together properly for the most smooth "cinematic" look. So I have a set of ND filters in the mail and look forward to some future filming. So here's my 3rd edited project, I'm not very satisfied with the outcome and would really appreciate any input on how to make more cinematic footage and most importantly speed up my editing procedure as it takes what seems like FOREVER! thanks for the views!

Flying tips: Fly straight lines as much as possible and use the video from those flights. Plan out these courses beforehand and fly them beforehand if necessary to visualize the route.
During editing the turns are typically removed.
Instead of turning the Mavic while in one spot hovering to uncover some more of the scene try flying using Course Lock in a straight line while the camera is pointed outwards at your subject. Or use Active Track - Spotlight mode to keep the subject (POI) in frame as you fly your path. Spotlight mode within active track can be used on stationary items and not just moving subjects. That way when you fly and the Mavic changes position it will keep the point of interest in view.

Editing Tips (software dependent): What are you using for an editing program ?

Reactions: Splue
Flying tips: Fly straight lines as much as possible and use the video from those flights. Plan out these courses beforehand and fly them beforehand if necessary to visualize the route.
During editing the turns are typically removed.
Instead of turning the Mavic while in one spot hovering to uncover some more of the scene try flying using Course Lock in a straight line while the camera is pointed outwards at your subject. Or use Active Track - Spotlight mode to keep the subject (POI) in frame as you fly your path. Spotlight mode within active track can be used on stationary items and not just moving subjects. That way when you fly and the Mavic changes position it will keep the point of interest in view.

Editing Tips (software dependent): What are you using for an editing program ?

Im currently using lumafusion 2.0 on my 2017 12.9 iPad pro. I'm getting a little confused with what fps settings I should run to utilize nice slow hi res "cinematic" take while still being able to speed ramp without stutter. I figured ND filters are a first step and to always keep the shutter speed at double the fps and iso as low as possible. And it takes forever to edit as I'm still new to the process, but lumafusion is a great tool that I'm sure I'll speed up with over time.

Gotcha!
No experience with Lumafusion as I do my editing on a PC with Premiere Pro.
You are on the right track. ND filters added to allow the shutter speed to be double the frame rate. Polar Pro has an app that one can download to help with choosing the correct ND filter depending on lighting conditions. Although I usually just pop on an ND 8 and point my Mavic at the brightest part of a scene and then make sure ISO is 100 and see if I can get double the Shutter Speed of frame rate. Then pull the filter and go up or down (i.e. ND4 or ND 16) to allow the proper frame rate and Shutter Speed.

Hey folks,
I'm still very new to shooting and editing. Just after this video did I learn about the proper adjustments to shutter speed and fps and how they work together properly for the most smooth "cinematic" look. So I have a set of ND filters in the mail and look forward to some future filming. So here's my 3rd edited project, I'm not very satisfied with the outcome and would really appreciate any input on how to make more cinematic footage and most importantly speed up my editing procedure as it takes what seems like FOREVER! thanks for the views!
I learn something from every pilot and editor I encounter . . . good job.

Hey folks,
I'm still very new to shooting and editing. Just after this video did I learn about the proper adjustments to shutter speed and fps and how they work together properly for the most smooth "cinematic" look. So I have a set of ND filters in the maiil and look forward to some future filming. So here's my 3rd edited project, I'm not very satisfied with the outcome and would really appreciate any input on how to make more cinematic footage and most importantly speed up my editing procedure as it takes what seems like FOREVER! thanks for the views!

Did you get a permit to fly?

Great scenery.
From my point of view i like to follow a story line and would like to see you order and arrange the shots to follow the story sequence. Probably could have reduced some of the repeated scenery bits?
Lovely colours.

Hey folks,

Lived in Delmar just outside of Albany for a few years. Beautiful place.

Grew up in the area fly my drone there often, unfortunately it's prohibited. Was told this by the park police who said I need a permit. That was in November 2019. Back today at a different location thinking no one would notice my 15 minute flight. Wrong . a woman at the visitors center told me no drones allowed without a permit a license and something else that had to do with insurance.they are cracking down so call the visitors center for instructions

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarmstrong2580