DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

US TSA selects MIA to test drone detection systems

JoeyThePilot56

Reactions

The TSA started using this technology today at KMIA ( Miami Intl Airport, Class B Airspace). This airport is within 5 miles of my office and about 10 miles from my house. Tonights news Press conference with the TSA stated they also have the technology to knock drones out of the sky that violate the airports perimeter. Why do you guys think ?

The TSA started using this technology today at KMIA ( Miami Intl Airport, Class B Airspace). This airport is within 5 miles of my office and about 10 miles from my house. Tonights news Press conference with the TSA stated they also have the technology to knock drones out of the sky that violate the airports perimeter. Why do you guys think ?
I’m confused why the TSA would be the ones using this this…

I doubt “they,” the TSA, has means to knock UAVs out of the sky. That must have been a misunderstanding.

I’m confused why the TSA would be the ones using this this…

I doubt “they,” the TSA, has means to knock UAVs out of the sky. That must have been a misunderstanding.
I'm trying to find the link. They showed this device that looks like a Buck Rogers ray gun mounted on a tripod that's suppose to be the weapon to take down the drones. I would imagine it's some kind of high power microwave gadget that overloads the drones electronic components causing it to go down.

The drone is not literally knocked out of the sky...someone posted a video last week of one I think in England in which the operator of the drone lost control of it to the people who literally just took it over and landed it within their perimeter and were able to keep the drone

The drone is not literally knocked out of the sky...someone posted a video last week of one I think in England in which the operator of the drone lost control of it to the people who literally just took it over and landed it within their perimeter and were able to keep the drone
Wow, that reminds me when I use to fly RC planes with the old radio and color flag system for the frequency you were using and some jerk would turn on a radio on your same channel and actually steal your plane and land it somewhere else. BTW, A few guys that were doing that were caught by the flyers and got the Sh1t beat out of them, actually, one ended up in the hospital with a few broken bones.

screen-shot-2020-02-11-at-11-48-01-am-1581450509.png

The first time we saw this technology was when a large group of protesters pointed there laser pens at the phantom 4 and we saw it come down, anyone remember that thread.

So I am not to surprised someone ran with it but I hope they do better , like being able to send a return to home signal and catch the drone pilot if needed and or scan the ID for a nice expensive ticket in the Mail.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain.

TSA ? I dont care, I respect the US airspace and people’s privacy with passion, as a personal doctrine.
Thieves and pranksters? they will have this technology soon if not already.

Would have though FAA would be more the ones to use this tech . . . here CASA has been using DJI Aeroscope at airports, apparently trialling around different airports.

Not sure if any have been permanently installed or in use at any of our major airports, we don't have that many anyway, Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, the rest are not in that much of a need as yet.

Sydney Harbour has reputedly used Aeroscope too, probably the Sydney Harbour Authority are the ones overseeing that.

From searching for the tests being done it appears the tests are just DTI (Detect Track Identify) tests and not destroy tests. It is already being tested at LAX

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000