DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

USA registration

Still a long way away from passing as written but If registration is tried again it will immediately head back to court.

Not if Congress enables it. The only reason it was challenged was that it clearly contravened Section 336. If Congress changes the law then there will be no basis for further challenge.

Reactions: BigAl07
Not if Congress enables it. The only reason it was challenged was that it clearly contravened Section 336. If Congress changes the law then there will be no basis for further challenge.

BINGO! If they had done this the RIGHT way from the beginning Taylor would have lost.

Of course someone is going to take it to court some people (not just attorneys) thrive on this. The difference is they will have it much more "Solid" this time through.

I for one greatly encourage registration and I'm glad to see it potentially coming back.

That's not very surprising, and I won't be surprised if at some point soon Congress rolls back the entire premise of PL 112-95 Sec. 336 now that recreational sUAS use has become some widespread.

I completely agree with this. We may just be seeing the tip of the Ice Berg here. Congress realizes that they screwed up in 2012 because they were very near sighted and didn't think "UAS" would become the industry it has exploded into. By removing their mistakes we could see more understandable regulations as opposed to what we are faced with now with hobby vs commercial. Also hopefully they will drop the term commercial and call it correctly... CIVIL operations with commercial being one of many types of flights under CIVIL operations.

What is wrong with registration. We RC flyers had to register our radios back in the 70's. No big deal.

Exactly. For a while we had to get an FCC license as well.

We're giving our ages away now by admitting these facts LOL

No big deal with registration. Even though it isn't required, I would recommend doing it. Not only is the requirement coming back, it'll help you now when having to deal with the authorities who question whether your flying is legal or not. Just my $0.02.

I agree with the above. There is value in registering whereas the small fee can alleviate Police,etc from their questioning and even if required, it would show the large number of hobbist who love this activity.

I for one greatly encourage registration and I'm glad to see it potentially coming back.
Perhaps registration done legally. Just remember... the FAA and DOT flat out lied to people last time. The FAA then used the registration as a way to illegally change Section 336.

Reactions: smurfslayer
What is wrong with registration. We RC flyers had to register our radios back in the 70's. No big deal.

What might be wrong with it? Since we don't what they are going to do.... could be almost anything. Last time we had to register the FAA also changed Section 336 on us.

Perhaps registration done legally. Just remember... the FAA and DOT flat out lied to people last time. The FAA then used the registration as a way to illegally change Section 336.

Section 336 is part of public law - the FAA cannot, and did not change that. Could you elaborate?

Section 336 is part of public law - the FAA cannot, and did not change that. Could you elaborate?

Part of the registration was that you agreed to fly at 400' or less. The FAA told people that the _registration_ was done under the FAA's authority to maintain safety. You never heard them talk about any 400' limitation.

Part of the registration was that you agreed to fly at 400' or less. The FAA told people that the _registration_ was done under the FAA's authority to maintain safety. You never heard them talk about any 400' limitation.

Right - but you agreed to fly under 400 ft or what would happen? 336 was the FAA excuse for registration - that they were attempting to prevent endangerment of the NAS under the authority of 336 (b). It didn't change 336 and, ultimately, it didn't prevail.

Right - but you agreed to fly under 400 ft or what would happen? 336 was the FAA excuse for registration - that they were attempting to prevent endangerment of the NAS under the authority of 336 (b). It didn't change 336 and, ultimately, it didn't prevail.

No, Section specifically stated that they could not implement a registration. The FAA created the registration under separate powers (safety). The registration did _nothing_ for safety. We know that for a fact. Many drone fliers were "for" the registration only because it may have helped stop further regulations. But make no mistake, it did nothing for safety. That 400' limit included.

No, Section specifically stated that they could not implement a registration. The FAA created the registration under separate powers (safety). The registration did _nothing_ for safety. We know that for a fact. Many drone fliers were "for" the registration only because it may have helped stop further regulations. But make no mistake, it did nothing for safety. That 400' limit included.

That's not correct. Section 336 said that the FAA could not promulgate any new rules. It did not specifically mention registration and included the caveat that it did not prevent the FAA from enforcing airspace safety - those were not separate powers:

336 (b) STATUTORY CONSTRUCTION.—Nothing in this section shall be construed to limit the authority of the Administrator to pursue enforcement action against persons operating model aircraft who endanger the safety of the national airspace system.
You can assert your opinion that registration did nothing for safety, and I tend to agree, but you cannot cite it as a fact, and the motives that recreational fliers had for registering are not relevant to the law. Registration was struck down because, however one looked at it, it clearly was a new rule.

An altitude limit, such as 400 ft, is relatively easy to argue as an effective safety provision, but the FAA did not attempt to make it a rule (336 prohibited that too) and instead simply tried to get hobbyist agreement not to exceed it as part of the registration process.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000