DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

USA state drone laws

That's interesting information. I just looked up my state (NY, unfortunately), and already see proposed law being at odds with federal law in some cases, and I didn't see any exceptions mentioned of for those of us flying under Part 107, not that NY would even know what Part 107 is. I'm not sure if what I'm reading from the 'Reference' link is the whole thing or not; It bears looking into. I also did NOT see any proposed law that would provide any protection to those of us being 'harassed' or threatened while flying, or consequences for someone intentionally destroying or damaging a drone while in flight or otherwise. I'm inclined to write someone about this.

capture_001_25022018_192857.jpg

Reactions: chazzm
Good info, thanks for posting. Like most small towns, my city does not have any restrictions of their own, they just go by the state requirements, which pretty much follows the FAA requirements.

We had a bill, similar to this one, in California, that was "not" signed into law, thankfully. It stated, without permission, you had to fly over private property at least 350 feet. Since 400 ft is the FAA limit, it didn't allow much room to maneuver for video/camera shots.

Weight limit must be their idea of less than lethal if there were a failure to stay in the air. I'd me more comfortable with a 10oz limit, if this were the reason. The FAA states 55lbs. As for the limitation of how high, 122m/400ft is already the rule from the FAA, and flying recklessly would be considered redundant.

As much as I understand Federal vs. State, the State, or Municipals can make stricter laws. Also, I'm not sure what the FAA recommends is actually backed by any legal statutes, nullifying them as a law. I do get the feeling the FAA feels this is their jurisdiction and that they should be the major influence in such matters, but here in California, I recently found out that there are some areas I should be able to fly, but I'm still not allowed.

The 400' AGL doesn't apply to Part 107 if flying within 400' of a tower or structure - I can fly to 800' AGL if over a 400' tower, for example. My 107 license is good for 55 lbs. What right does NY have to nullify that on a state-wide basis, not that I'll ever fly a 55 lb UAV, but that's not the point. The 100' above private property also raises questions. The FAA regulates airspace, not states. Yes, there are redundancies and unnecessary items in this proposed law as well as far as reasonable expectations of privacy, harassment, etc., which just makes it very poorly written. Again, I'm not sure if I've found the full text of the proposed law, but I do not see any mention of commercial operations in what I have read.

The 400' AGL doesn't apply to Part 107 if flying within 400' of a tower or structure - I can fly to 800' AGL if over a 400' tower, for example. My 107 license is good for 55 lbs. What right does NY have to nullify that on a state-wide basis, not that I'll ever fly a 55 lb UAV, but that's not the point. The 100' above private property also raises questions. The FAA regulates airspace, not states. Yes, there are redundancies and unnecessary items in this proposed law as well as far as reasonable expectations of privacy, harassment, etc., which just makes it very poorly written. Again, I'm not sure if I've found the full text of the proposed law, but I do not see any mention of commercial operations in what I have read.

my bet, since they are lib lawmakers, there won't be any provisions for commercial. I forgot about the structure rule. I thought that would apply to me too (Rec Pilot)?

Proposed NY Drone Laws

I have put NY proposed drone laws down below.
I am glad that lawmakers are making regulations in a deliberative manner rather than reacting to single incident events or drone incidents in the news.
I am OK with all of these except the one I underline below.

• Would impose a range of regulations on drone flight:
    • Would make it illegal to fly a drone higher than 400 feet above ground level or outside the operator’s line-of-sight
    • Would make it illegal to fly a drone weighing more than 10 pounds
    • Would make it illegal to fly a drone in restricted airspace, in a reckless manner, or with the intent to harass or annoy an individual
    • Drone flight would be prohibited below 100 feet over private property without consent.

• Would impose strict liability on drone owners, operators, and manufacturers for any injuries or property damage resulting from a drone crash.
  • Would place limits on drone usage by law enforcement & government officials.
  • Would place limits on law enforcement usage of drones.
  • Would prohibit the use of drones to aid in hunting or any other taking of wildlife.
    Would make possession of a drone equipped with a deadly weapon a felony.
  • Would make it illegal to photograph or record an individual with a reasonable expectation of privacy.
  • Would make it illegal to use a drone camera to look into a neighbor’s yard or windows.
  • Would expand existing surveillance laws to include activity committed via drone.
  • Would prohibit civilian drone flight within 1,000 feet of a correctional facility.

Sure... I'd trust the information on this site....

Question: Do I need to register my drone with the FAA?
If you fly for commercial purposes, yes. If you fly for hobby/recreational purposes, no. Previously, the FAA had required all drones to be registered, however a court ruling struck down this requirement for hobbyists in May 2017. This is still a developing situation, and U.S. Congress is reportedly looking to legislation that would expand the FAA’s rulemaking authority in this regard.

Sure... I'd trust the information on this site....

Question: Do I need to register my drone with the FAA?
If you fly for commercial purposes, yes. If you fly for hobby/recreational purposes, no. Previously, the FAA had required all drones to be registered, however a court ruling struck down this requirement for hobbyists in May 2017. This is still a developing situation, and U.S. Congress is reportedly looking to legislation that would expand the FAA’s rulemaking authority in this regard.

This is no longer true. I believe it President signed a bill into law, that had this registration in it, and now it's back to the way it was before May. You need to pay the $5 for the FAA#, and adhere it to each drone you fly over .55 lbs to 55 lbs.

Example One

Example Two

Example Three

This is no longer true. I believe it President signed a bill into law, that had this registration in it, and now it's back to the way it was before May. You need to pay the $5 for the FAA#, and adhere it to each drone you fly over .55 lbs to 55 lbs.

Example One

Example Two

Example Three

Yes, I know. I pointed this out because people seemed to be buying into what this site was pushing. Obviously their information is incorrect.

Reactions: MavicAirMike
I'm from Ohio & was under the impression I didn't have to register.I just fly fly for hobby/recreational purposes.Thanks

I have been looking for somewhere for clarification about flying a drone very limited altitude and distance (i.e. 30 ft high within a 30-40 ft radius) just for the purpose of photography on either my own property or public land for "selfie" type family photos etc. I can't find any regulations other than the standard 400 ft limit VLS and not endangering property or people. Does anyone know of a different set of rules for "selfie drones" or any drone being used in a "selfie" capacity.

Recently, my wife and I were in Seattle where I later found there is a city ban on all RC flying devices. We put my Mavic Air up about 10 feet from us and about 4 ft high to take a picture in front of the little cottage that we stayed in. We were in a garden setting, not endangering people or property and yet according to Seattle law (at least my understanding) we could be prosecuted for illegal operation of an RC Airborn Device. It seems "logical" that a different set of rules should apply or am I missing the point?

Does anyone know of a different set of rules for "selfie drones" or any drone being used in a "selfie" capacity.
The US Constitution, the First Amendment allows you to do this. You just can't be in violation of legal law.

Recently, my wife and I were in Seattle where I later found there is a city ban on all RC flying devices. We put my Mavic Air up about 10 feet from us and about 4 ft high to take a picture in front of the little cottage that we stayed in. We were in a garden setting, not endangering people or property and yet according to Seattle law (at least my understanding) we could be prosecuted for illegal operation of an RC Airborn Device. It seems "logical" that a different set of rules should apply or am I missing the point?

You don't link to the law an I question if it does actually apply to what you were doing. Personally, I can't comment on a law where no information is given. I highly doubt Seattle has outright outlaws all RC devices as mentioned.

I have been looking for somewhere for clarification about flying a drone very limited altitude and distance (i.e. 30 ft high within a 30-40 ft radius) just for the purpose of photography on either my own property or public land for "selfie" type family photos etc. I can't find any regulations other than the standard 400 ft limit VLS and not endangering property or people. Does anyone know of a different set of rules for "selfie drones" or any drone being used in a "selfie" capacity.

All I can find is that there is a City-wide ban on drones in Parks. On personal property, there is none. But, laws that could legally impact you would be the 5 mile Airport rule (1.5 mile restriction).
Selfie drones ... the Mavic Air, is not a selfie drone. Any drone that weights more than a 1/2 lb. should be considered a FAA regulated drone.

I would imagine that the City is concerned about your drone injuring or annoying someone trying to enjoy the park, which is why this is only limited to City run parks.

DRONES - Special Events Office | seattle.gov

Drones and rockets prohibited at City parks - Parkways

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada