DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

USA

There's the general 107 laws, but laws can be diffrent state to state, county to county and city to city!

Reactions: mmamonster
There's the general 107 laws, but laws can be diffrent state to state, county to county and city to city!

Yes. If you scroll down on the page I'd linked above, it includes a breakdown by state, and some cities.

Hi Mart
If you do fly in the US I'd be very interested how you got on - perhaps do a post for the UK area of the forum when you get back ( presume East Cheshire is UK East Chesh, I'm in CWAC.
Barrie

Hi Barrie,
Been to the US quite a few times, but new to drones so would be good to take with us next vacation. Scholar green east cheshire.
Atb
Mart

Hi Mart,

For clarity are you traveling to the U.S.A specifically or other places in the Americas as well? Others answered the United States of America laws question but I wanted to add that I hope you have a AMAZING trip. Things are crazy everywhere in the world right now but I pray you return happy, healthy, and safe with a wealth of great memories and drone footage of it all!!!

Hi Mart,

For clarity are you traveling to the U.S.A specifically or other places in the Americas as well? Others answered the United States of America laws question but I wanted to add that I hope you have a AMAZING trip. Things are crazy everywhere in the world right now but I pray you return happy, healthy, and safe with a wealth of great memories and drone footage of it all!!!

Yes usa , vegas, texas or florida it will be one of those places as we have good friends there, it wont be until later this year or early next year.
Atb
Mart

Hi Mart - Thanks for your reply - hope you get better flying weather in the States than we have had recently! We in the UK have to grab every opportunity to fly when the weather lets us , do we not!

After you look at the drone laws and then consider controlled airspace and then state park rules you may conclude that there is no place to fly. Consider instead flying over Bureau of Land Management property. There are lots of beautiful but remote BLM properties all over the US open to drone flying. Just make sure the one you choose isn’t Restricted or MOA land.

I took my drone over to PA last year whilst on a business trip. Managed to get a few flights in without issue. People tend to leave you alone or watch from a distance if they are interested.

Yes usa , vegas, texas or florida it will be one of those places as we have good friends there, it wont be until later this year or early next year.
Atb
Mart

At one point or another, I have lived in each of these areas so if I were choosing a place where I wanted to vacation SOLELY based on potential camera footage from my drone, personally I would choose Vegas.

Why ? Well, Vegas stands out to me because of the wide variation of potential footage -
Possible shoots to consider:
  • Might get lucky and capture aliens flying around area 51
  • Hoover Dam would be amazing
  • Lake Mead too!
  • some amazing architecture in Vegas
  • Grand Canyon just a few hours south I think -
  • after the Grand Canyon, go a little further south and get some beautiful shots of the red rocks around Sedona
  • Painted Desert in Arizona is not too far from the Grand Canyon
  • Meteor Crater would be cool to get
  • UTAH - Utah is also pretty close to Vegas - few hours away - and you can get amazing footage from a bunch of different places there .....Bryce Canyon, Canyon Lands and many more...
I don't know what the specific laws are in any of those places so you would need to do your research -

Regardless of where you decide to go - I hope you enjoy your trip! Be Safe - Wear a Mask - Wash your Hands and Have fun! ;)

• Might get lucky and capture aliens flying around area 51
  • Hoover Dam would be amazing
  • Lake Mead too!
  • some amazing architecture in Vegas
  • Grand Canyon just a few hours south I think -
  • after the Grand Canyon, go a little further south and get some beautiful shots of the red rocks around Sedona
  • Painted Desert in Arizona is not too far from the Grand Canyon
  • Meteor Crater would be cool to get
  • UTAH - Utah is also pretty close to Vegas - few hours away - and you can get amazing footage from a bunch of different places there .....Bryce Canyon, Canyon Lands and many more...
I don't know what the specific laws are in any of those places so you would need to do your research -

Area 51: Flying Drones around Area 51

Hoover Dam: FAA bans drone flights near Hoover Dam, other US landmarks

Anything titled "National Park" is a no-go. That covers the Grand Canyon National Park, the Painted Desert (inside Petrified Forest National Park), Bryce Canyon National Park, and Canyonlands National Park.

Meteor Crater is entirely contained within private property, and they have posted signs prohibiting drones.

Lake Mead is a nice option, though. As long as you don't take off or land within the boundaries of the Park, anyway.

Area 51: Flying Drones around Area 51

Hoover Dam: FAA bans drone flights near Hoover Dam, other US landmarks

Anything titled "National Park" is a no-go. That covers the Grand Canyon National Park, the Painted Desert (inside Petrified Forest National Park), Bryce Canyon National Park, and Canyonlands National Park.

Meteor Crater is entirely contained within private property, and they have posted signs prohibiting drones.

Lake Mead is a nice option, though. As long as you don't take off or land within the boundaries of the Park, anyway.

I thought there might be some rules like that - but I also figured that while you can't fly in the National Parks, there is some pretty amazing scenery outside of the parks - just be careful regarding private property and such...

Heres a question for ya'll...
If I were to come holiday in the States and bought my drone do I need a FAA permit to fly it legally....I am assuming I do...
Is there such a thing as an equivilant of an International drivers licence for drones....
I am guessing not but thought I throw it out there

Heres a question for ya'll...
If I were to come holiday in the States and bought my drone do I need a FAA permit to fly it legally....I am assuming I do...
Is there such a thing as an equivilant of an International drivers licence for drones....
I am guessing not but thought I throw it out there

Check the link in my first post in this thread (Post #2).

Reactions: Juggler
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest