DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Use of drones at African lodges and other travels

Dale D

Reactions
Site
vimeo.com
Having been to Africa on safari 12 times (almost all countries-Kenya,Tanzania, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Namibia, South Africa, etc.), I find myself on the mailing list of many tour companies. Now, invariably, I find that almost all of the promo videos incorporate drone videos. Yet, when I ask if I can bring my own drone I am told the usual litany- e.g.: it disturbs the animals, it contributes to poachers, the drone upsets the animal's well being, etc. So I have never used my drone on these trips. I would love to have been able to use it to make videos such as the one I am attaching. I received this video in today's mail and it got me to thinking.

This "no drone" policy is now beginning to take hold in many tourist attractions and I find it troubling. I understand the reasons for the prohibitions, but for mere documentation of locations, I find it such a wonderful addition to a video.
Presently , if the covid-19 quarantine is lifted, I plan to travel in December to the Persian Gulf cities of Abu Dhabi, Dubai, Doha, and Muscat(Oman). All countries have a strick no-drone ban, yet there are tons of videos on You Tube of all of these cities. The penalty for drone flying in Oman presently is three years in jail, and to quote, " Flying a recreational drone is illegal in Oman, with a minimum penalty of three years in jail."

I know this post will garner a lot of comments defending these policies but I just wanted to hear to feedback of the forum members. Here is the African lodge promo video for an example. This is, of course, not my work.
Singita Pamushana Lodge

Last edited:
Neither arguing for or against the local laws. It is their country. However, if they have such laws and penalties why not respect them and would flying be worth the risk? Especially for a tourist?

Obviously I wouldn't dare fly at any of these places. My last flying in foreign countries were Iceland where the laws are pretty relaxed except for national parks, and in Madagascar where is there is very little law enforcement outside of the cities. I won't even think of packing the drone for the Persian Gulf cities.

It is not just drones that are banned in many places. I went to several places many years ago and was able to take photographs without any issues. But over the last say, twenty/thirty years one after another now ban photography altogether. York-minster being one and Rosslyn Chapel being another. They want to sell photographs so ban any of us doing our own thing. GREED !

Gordon Bennett, York Minster has banned photos?????? That's simply unfair ! I had a full blown tripod in there years ago trying to capture the windows with a new Canon 350D, it was years ago lol.
I always hoped to get back and it's one of the places I'd love to fly a drone around but obviously that would be a bit of a problem.

So after watching the video I don't really have any idea about the drone laws there except as you said not worth pushing the envelop in countries where you have no rights.

However, that looks like a bad *** trip and I have now added it to my travel plans in the next 3 years.

Neither arguing for or against the local laws. It is their country. However, if they have such laws and penalties why not respect them and would flying be worth the risk? Especially for a tourist?
100% agree

I've also noticed that many official tourism videos posted by various destinations that strictly ban drones incorporate video that is clearly shot by a drone. Hypocritical, but what can you do?

have to put in a correction to an earlier post here.
Yorkminster does allow private photographs. I said :

" It is not just drones that are banned in many places. I went to several places many years ago and was able to take photographs without any issues. But over the last say, twenty/thirty years one after another now ban photography altogether. York-minster being one and Rosslyn Chapel being another. They want to sell photographs so ban any of us doing our own thing. GREED ! "
I just checked up again as I think i was confused with another church. But Rosslyn definitely not allowed last time I went there.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Can I take photos of the Minster?

Answer was Yes but no video or photographs during services. Photos only for personal use not to be sold.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Sorry for the confusion PhiliusFoggg.

Just some of my pics from 2006 before all, the greed started to be applied. i have others with my wife in them and that is what you cannot buy from their shop. Very annoying. So we won't be going back. Their loss in revenue.

Attachments

• IMG_0557.JPG
    IMG_0557.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0568.JPG
    IMG_0568.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0571.JPG
    IMG_0571.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0560.JPG
    IMG_0560.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0562.JPG
    IMG_0562.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 16
I lived in Muscat (Oman) for a couple of years and then in Dubai. It is quite sensitive geographically and also quite a small place. Many sensitive installations (oil, gas and military) would be easily accessible by drone flight as well as the Sultan's private properties. I wouldn't even have my drone packed in my case if I was going there and certainly would not consider flouting a law. I have been on a tour of their prison!

• Haha
Reactions: Physopto
I lived in Muscat (Oman) for a couple of years and then in Dubai. It is quite sensitive geographically and also quite a small place. Many sensitive installations (oil, gas and military) would be easily accessible by drone flight as well as the Sultan's private properties. I wouldn't even have my drone packed in my case if I was going there and certainly would not consider flouting a law. I have been on a tour of their prison!

Prison!!!!! Ouch

Having been to Africa on safari 12 times (almost all countries-Kenya,Tanzania, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Namibia, South Africa, etc.), I find myself on the mailing list of many tour companies. Now, invariably, I find that almost all of the promo videos incorporate drone videos. Yet, when I ask if I can bring my own drone I am told the usual litany- e.g.: it disturbs the animals, it contributes to poachers, the drone upsets the animal's well being, etc. So I have never used my drone on these trips. I would love to have been able to use it to make videos such as the one I am attaching. I received this video in today's mail and it got me to thinking.

This "no drone" policy is now beginning to take hold in many tourist attractions and I find it troubling. I understand the reasons for the prohibitions, but for mere documentation of locations, I find it such a wonderful addition to a video.
Presently , if the covid-19 quarantine is lifted, I plan to travel in December to the Persian Gulf cities of Abu Dhabi, Dubai, Doha, and Muscat(Oman). All countries have a strick no-drone ban, yet there are tons of videos on You Tube of all of these cities. The penalty for drone flying in Oman presently is three years in jail, and to quote, " Flying a recreational drone is illegal in Oman, with a minimum penalty of three years in jail."

I know this post will garner a lot of comments defending these policies but I just wanted to hear to feedback of the forum members. Here is the African lodge promo video for an example. This is, of course, not my work.
Singita Pamushana Lodge

There appears to be an increase of "Phobia" related to drones all over the world. Not worth the hassle as far as I can see. The new rules all over the place may eventually tame the public reactions to drone flights, but I doubt it. I well remember visiting several Gulf ports on gas tankers many years ago when I was an engineer. We took chances on beer etc. But the penalties were survere if caught. Not sure what would happen with a drone !!

So after watching the video I don't really have any idea about the drone laws there except as you said not worth pushing the envelop in countries where you have no rights.

However, that looks like a bad *** trip and I have now added it to my travel plans in the next 3 years.
You had better save up your money! The Singita lodges are known to be among the most expensive lodges in all of Africa. Plan on spending at least $1000 per day per person, but possibly could be more. We have stayed at the famous Singita Ebony and we will never forget it. Leave the drone at home.

You had better save up your money! The Singita lodges are known to be among the most expensive lodges in all of Africa. Plan on spending at least $1000 per day per person, but possibly could be more. We have stayed at the famous Singita Ebony and we will never forget it. Leave the drone at home.
Well thanks to Corona I haven't taken my first four vacations this year and probly won't take my last 2, so piling that money up for vacations!!!

Well thanks to Corona I haven't taken my first four vacations this year and probly won't take my last 2, so piling that money up for vacations!!!
Not to change the subject but my wife and I are absolutely addicted to African safaris (we've done it 12 times), and you are in for one wonderful life changing experience. Start with either Kenya or Tanzania. Best animals, and lots of them. Botswana has superb animals and lodges but it is also the most expensive. Get yourself a travel agent that ONLY does Africa. I can supply a recommendation.

I was in Russia (Moscow and St. Petersburg) several years ago and visited all the standard tourist places. Several had signs saying "No flash photography", did people obey that, NO. Going to the Red Square I was banned from taking in my Sony EX1 HD video camera (it is fairly large) by the guard with the statement (Professional camera, NO!). I am not a professional, but was not prepared to argue with the guard as I would undoubtedly loose. Fortunately my partner has a small HD video camera, which was acceptable, and so I got to take all the videos that I wanted. What surprised me was the willingness of so many people to flaunt the rules, so possibly ruining it for future photographers.

I was in Russia (Moscow and St. Petersburg) several years ago and visited all the standard tourist places. Several had signs saying "No flash photography", did people obey that, NO. Going to the Red Square I was banned from taking in my Sony EX1 HD video camera (it is fairly large) by the guard with the statement (Professional camera, NO!). I am not a professional, but was not prepared to argue with the guard as I would undoubtedly loose. Fortunately my partner has a small HD video camera, which was acceptable, and so I got to take all the videos that I wanted. What surprised me was the willingness of so many people to flaunt the rules, so possibly ruining it for future photographers.
You, my friend, have opened a favorites subject of mine !

If Covid cooperates, I will be able to go to my planned trip to the Persian Gulf, including the city of DUBAI in the UAR. The tallest building in the world is the Burj Khalifa. I plan to do a timelapse of a sunset there but was told that NO TRIPODS were allowed in the observation deck! I pleaded with them by e-mail for several months- no dice. So I am now planning to take my Osmo Action (like a Go Pro) on a tiny Manfrotto tripod as well as my Osmo Pocket. If they ban these, I am S.O.L. By the way- tickets are now about $125.00 per person.

See attachments.Screen Shot 2020-06-19 at 5.04.21 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-06-19 at 5.04.48 PM.png

Not to change the subject but my wife and I are absolutely addicted to African safaris (we've done it 12 times), and you are in for one wonderful life changing experience. Start with either Kenya or Tanzania. Best animals, and lots of them. Botswana has superb animals and lodges but it is also the most expensive. Get yourself a travel agent that ONLY does Africa. I can supply a recommendation.
Awesome, I am going to take you up on that. Have you guys always stayed at lodges like that one, or is there more economical ways to get it done and get the experience. My wife and I love to travel and might have to work this in around Peru and Italy in the next 3 years.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corbo2000