DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Use SD card in Smart Controller vs Zoom

pickett22

Reactions
Aloha, newbie here with quick question. The Smart Controller and Mavic 2 Zoom have external Micro SD Card slots - is one better than the other to record video? Can you have a card in each and change record locations on the controller once one fills up?

Aloha, newbie here with quick question. The Smart Controller and Mavic 2 Zoom have external Micro SD Card slots - is one better than the other to record video? Can you have a card in each and change record locations on the controller once one fills up?

The SD card in the drone is the only location your high quality media will be saved. The SC can, in addition, record low quality “cache” which is basically just a screen recording of the flight while recording a video. These have limited use.

You can use cache files to play back the recordings you’ve made in the field to make sure you’ve got what you wanted rather than needing to download the files or keep the drone on. Cache files don’t look terrible on a small screen and so they might be ok to send to someone quickly. Much quicker than downloading and editing on a computer. If the quality isn’t something you care that much about cache files are much easier to handle and take much less work.

For the first 4 months I had my drone I didn’t know any better and was sending cache files to my friends and family and they all thought the quality was great. When I figured out what I was doing I started sending the high quality to them and they were blown away.

So if you don’t care about using the highest quality the drone can provide cache files might be ok but for video or photography enthusiasts using the cache files for anything but reference is basically sacrilege

The SD card in the drone is the only location your high quality media will be saved. The SC can, in addition, record low quality “cache” which is basically just a screen recording of the flight while recording a video. These have limited use.

You can use cache files to play back the recordings you’ve made in the field to make sure you’ve got what you wanted rather than needing to download the files or keep the drone on. Cache files don’t look terrible on a small screen and so they might be ok to send to someone quickly. Much quicker than downloading and editing on a computer. If the quality isn’t something you care that much about cache files are much easier to handle and take much less work.

For the first 4 months I had my drone I didn’t know any better and was sending cache files to my friends and family and they all thought the quality was great. When I figured out what I was doing I started sending the high quality to them and they were blown away.

So if you don’t care about using the highest quality the drone can provide cache files might be ok but for video or photography enthusiasts using the cache files for anything but reference is basically sacrilege

Thanks, that clarifies it unlike the manual.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MSPencer