DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Use Your Dome!

Using the bubble on it is bad for the drone since it stops the airflow through the drone, basically blocking all the air from entering and cooling the drone.
The bubble would help indeed but I rather keep my drone cool and avoid glare on the video. Looking at your drone really touches my heart tho, ouch D:
I think @Thunderdrones can help you out with that damage.

Using the bubble on it is bad for the drone since it stops the airflow through the drone, basically blocking all the air from entering and cooling the drone.
The bubble would help indeed but I rather keep my drone cool and avoid glare on the video. Looking at your drone really touches my heart tho, ouch D:
I think @Thunderdrones can help you out with that damage.
I typically don't fly it with the bubble on because you're right, it definitely affects the quality of the video. I was flying it for my 8 year old niece and she was loving the high-speed, low-altitude video on the iPad and I just let it get too low. Remarkably, it cartwheeled and regained flight stability before I took this pic, despite two broken props. Mavic's are truly amazing.

Just curious, how much would it cost to repair damages similiar to those?

I alway ran a dome on mine however it is open in the front and bottom to allow full movement of the gimbal. It is also black so it acts as a sun shield. It will protect the gimbal without interference so a win all around. You can get them on eBay, search for mavic sun sheild. Around $12 or so

Reactions: jkirk
If every new drone pilot used prop guards or cages and the OEM DJI gimbal bubble (without lock), there would probably be the same amount of crashes but not as much damage.
If the gimbal bubble didn't create that bizarre glare curve, I'd use it every time. I don't believe it restricts air flow. I do believe it could prevent camera shake from the real and apparent wind.
I just realized as I wrote this that the glare curve may only occur when flying toward the sun/light, which, unless the gimbal is pointed down, is the least attractive lighting for vid/pic. So, I think I'll try the gimbal bubble, again...lock off of course.
Don't think I'll use the prop guards as they might drag the battery life.

Regarding: "Don't think I'll use the prop guards as they might drag the battery life. "

The official DJI guards are very light and aerodynamic. I also have height extenders - and the extra weight of all of that doesn't seem to affect battery life much, if at all. I flew for fifteen minutes today before pressing RTH, and when the AC landed it still had 30% battery left. Since the Mavic Pro has obstacle avoidance only on the front, I do everything I can to protect the AC. I might do a couple of test runs to see exactly how much these extra attachments reduce battery life. If I do that, I'll report the results in this forum - but I'm guessing the reduction of battery life will be negligible.Mavic_Pro.png

Sport mode + low altitude - protective dome = concentrated sadness.View attachment 52966
Why pay loads of money for a camera that a top class camera company has sweated for years to develop, so's they can provide you with a lens that has superlative optical properties, only for you to cover it and destroy it's qualities with a cheap bit of platic that has all the optical properties of a paper bag? Would you draw a beard in felt-pen over the Mona lisa as well?

Reactions: HighlandsVideo
If the gimbal bubble didn't create that bizarre glare curve, I'd use it every time. I don't believe it restricts air flow. I do believe it could prevent camera shake from the real and apparent wind.
I just realized as I wrote this that the glare curve may only occur when flying toward the sun/light, which, unless the gimbal is pointed down, is the least attractive lighting for vid/pic. So, I think I'll try the gimbal bubble, again...lock off of course.
Assuming you're serious, I would buy myself a large black polythene sack to put what's left of your a/c inside! Let me try to explain..... If you're walking down the street and your eyes are working with 100% efficiency, would you wrap a polythene bag over them in case there was any dust about and then complain when you walked into a lamp-post?

I have two MP's and have been flying them for over a year now in some very windy conditions WITHOUT the bubble. And I don't think I've ever noticed "camera shake" when shooting HD video. That gimbal assembly and it's sync to the IMU sensors is ingeniously designed and works excellently as long as everything is calibrated properly.

I have two MP's and have been flying them for over a year now in some very windy conditions WITHOUT the bubble. And I don't think I've ever noticed "camera shake" when shooting HD video. That gimbal assembly and it's sync to the IMU sensors is ingeniously designed and works excellently as long as everything is calibrated properly.
I have, and I calibrate the IMU, and the gimbal; monthly. I'm not sure what the resolution has to do with it.

I have, and I calibrate the IMU, and the gimbal; monthly. I'm not sure what the resolution has to do with it.

I wasn't implying that resolution was a factor, but only that I have not experienced any instability or camera jitter in unstable air in any of my video shots, and I SURELY wouldn't use the dome for any video that I really cared about. Your mileage may vary.

Assuming you're serious, I would buy myself a large black polythene sack to put what's left of your a/c inside! Let me try to explain..... If you're walking down the street and your eyes are working with 100% efficiency, would you wrap a polythene bag over them in case there was any dust about and then complain when you walked into a lamp-post?
What's to prevent the same dust from being attracted to the lens? You can't clean the lens at 400 feet.
I've seen several videos with the dome attached, and the only distraction was the sun glare. Otherwise, it looked the same as the video the dome video was being compared to i.e. sans the dome.

What's to prevent the same dust from being attracted to the lens? You can't clean the lens at 400 feet.
I've seen several videos with the dome attached, and the only distraction was the sun glare. Otherwise, it looked the same as the video the dome video was being compared to i.e. sans the dome.

It hasn't been a factor for me yet, has it for you? That lens is pretty small and if you're flying in conditions where dust at any altitude is a factor, maybe you should wait until things improve. And there's still the glaring fact (no pun intended!) that you're shooting from a high quality camera lens system through plastic.

If this is not a concern then please disregard mine or any of other's replies.

I wasn't implying that resolution was a factor, but only that I have not experienced any instability or camera jitter in unstable air in any of my video shots, and I SURELY wouldn't use the dome for any video that I really cared about. Your mileage may vary.
I care about all of my video, and there are defects in all of it, and all of the defects are attributable to the camera, whether it be shake, noise, one truly bizarre shot wherein the earth appeared to quake significantly. or the fact that it is a 1/2.3 CMOS sensor, which others favor so much they went out and bought a MP2Pro. It's not precious glass. I suspect the lens itself is plastic.
These are not great cameras. It doesn't even have an aperture, so forget about trade offs of the exposure triangle. Still with me?
These low cost drones pale in comparison to an intermediate level mirror less camera with interchangable lenses. Their only advantage is the perspective.
I doubt Hollywood is knocking on your door for the breathtaking footage you cherish

I care about all of my video, and there are defects in all of it, and all of the defects are attributable to the camera, whether it be shake, noise, one truly bizarre shot wherein the earth appeared to quake significantly. or the fact that it is a 1/2.3 CMOS sensor, which others favor so much they went out and bought a MP2Pro. It's not precious glass. I suspect the lens itself is plastic.
These are not great cameras. It doesn't even have an aperture, so forget about trade offs of the exposure triangle. Still with me?
These low cost drones pale in comparison to an intermediate level mirror less camera with interchangable lenses. Their only advantage is the perspective.
I doubt Hollywood is knocking on your door for the breathtaking footage you cherish

Perhaps you should be on the Inspire forum. Using the dome on a Mavic and arguing about camera imperfections seems incongruous. But I'll end this discussion with my previous line... Your mileage may vary.

Regarding: "Don't think I'll use the prop guards as they might drag the battery life. "

The official DJI guards are very light and aerodynamic. I also have height extenders - and the extra weight of all of that doesn't seem to affect battery life much, if at all. I flew for fifteen minutes today before pressing RTH, and when the AC landed it still had 30% battery left. Since the Mavic Pro has obstacle avoidance only on the front, I do everything I can to protect the AC. I might do a couple of test runs to see exactly how much these extra attachments reduce battery life. If I do that, I'll report the results in this forum - but I'm guessing the reduction of battery life will be negligible.View attachment 53678
Please do test. I'd be curious to see the results. 15 minutes seems short even with 30% battery life remaining.
Honestly, I don't think I'd use the landing gear, or guards as that is just more set up time. I typically hand catch, and launch from a home made pad

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rui S