DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Used Mavic mini or mavic mini 2

Dave_VD

Reactions
I have been following the drone world for a couple of years now but I havent had the chance to fly or own one. recently a friend of mine has put his dji mavic mini fly more combo for sale and they are asking around 310 euro for it.

Is it worth getting the mini 1 or should I save up more money and potentially get the mini 2 with the fly more kit brand new. I am a total beginner but I am not sure if the mavic 2 is worth paying around 650 euro with the fly more kit or just pay 310 euro for a used mavic mini.

Reactions: RayKelly
I have been following the drone world for a couple of years now but I havent had the chance to fly or own one. recently a friend of mine has put his dji mavic mini fly more combo for sale and they are asking around 310 euro for it.

Is it worth getting the mini 1 or should I save up more money and potentially get the mini 2 with the fly more kit brand new. I am a total beginner but I am not sure if the mavic 2 is worth paying around 650 euro with the fly more kit or just pay 310 euro for a used mavic mini.
The Mini 2 is well worth the investment over the Mini. The Mini 2 has been out long enough that used deals can be found much less than 650 Euros with a little legwork.

Mini 1 suffered from limited range, transmission issues and flyaways due to a lack of power in the wind.... all of these have been nearly solved by the Mini 2.

Reactions: Brian I
What you said is correct except this part:

It's not correct to say that the drone flew away if someone flies off downwind in a wind too strong for the drone to return against.
It's also not correct to say that the problem is "nearly solved" with the Mini 2. It's a bit more powerful than the original, yes, but if you want to fly where it's typically pretty windy, you really need a drone with more muscle than a Mini 2. The Mini 2 definitely has advantages over the original, but whether they're worth twice the price is obviously a matter of the value an individual buyer puts on those advantages. If you have a 4K monitor, then the 4K video would be a big advantage. If you fly where there's likely to be a lot of wi-fi interference (or you're determined to fly way beyond VLOS), then OcuSync would be nice, etc.

Reactions: Jam0ne
What you said is correct except this part:

It's not correct to say that the drone flew away if someone flies off downwind in a wind too strong for the drone to return against.
Its still a flyaway.... just caused by operator error. The Mini 1 doesn't have enough room for error to deal with winds greater than expected and as its often sold to the "aspiring" drone operator it makes it a bad choice. It takes a little experience to know to fly upwind and more experience to detect when conditions aren't in line with predictions.

By the time the Mini issues a high wind warning it can be too late. New pilots should stay away from the both Mini 1 and Mini SE in favor of Mini 2, Air 2 or larger which have more power and ability to get out of unexpected conditions. Its easy to tell someone to read the manual but even with some book time mistakes happen so its good to have a piece of equipment that has some reserve when learning on the "fly". Staying in the OP's budget, a new/used Mini 2 and possibly a used Air 2 are strong choices.

Reactions: Gary R
Without entering into the previous debate...

I have owned a Mini 1 and now have a Mini 2 (and Mavic 2 Pro). Because of the winds I would have to say that almost 50% of the days that I wanted to fly I wouldn't because of the wind conditions. While the Mini 2 does not have the stability of a larger drone like my Mavic 2, it has significantly more power than the Mini 1 so you can fly with more confidence- but need to observe the same cautions.

The other benefits to the Mini 2 are that it has Ocusync 2.0 which will provide a better signal from the controller to the drone. It has a markedly better camera and can fly a little faster. I wish I had a Mini 1 for weight comparisons, but I have a left-over Mini 1 battery that still works with my Mini 2 and can tell you that the Mini 2 weighs more with the Mini 1 battery. If you ever want to add any accessories, such as strobes, you'll want some additional weight overhead.

My advice to the OP would be, if there is even a question of which one- go for the Mini 2. It's quite formidable.

... It has a markedly better camera ...
Well, the cameras are practically identical, except that recording 4K video is crippled in the original Mini. (The 2.7K video is a downsized version of the 4K that the sensor is actually capturing. The camera system it uses is actually capable of 4K at 60 fps, but that would draw a lot of power and create a lot of heat.) The only real difference for photos is that the Mini 2 supports saving DNG raw photos, but for a "markedly better camera" you need a bigger sensor, like the 1" on the Air 2S.

Have you considered the SE? It's cheap, has the same wind resistance as the 2 and a few other upgrades over the one. Bang for Buckwise, I preferred getting a fly more combo over the 2 as I'm not sure how much I'll use it and there's a good possibility as my "learning" drone it'll be abused. I'm not too fussed about 4k over 2.7, editing in 4k is too tedious for me and unnecessary for what I want (although shooting in RAW and manual would be nice). If I did really get into droning, I would happily skip over the mini 2 for something with more grunt.
Everyone's needs are different, I just thought I would throw it out there as I'm a newbie too and that's how I went.

Reactions: Jam0ne and Capt KO
Its still a flyaway.... just caused by operator error. The Mini 1 doesn't have enough room for error to deal with winds greater than expected and as its often sold to the "aspiring" drone operator it makes it a bad choice. It takes a little experience to know to fly upwind and more experience to detect when conditions aren't in line with predictions.
There is no such thing as a flyaway.
There are just drones lost without an understanding of why.
But ever since 2015 we've been able to analyse the recorded flight data and find out why drones get lost.
And the evidence clearly shows that drones don't fly away.

It takes a little experience to know to fly upwind and more experience to detect when conditions aren't in line with predictions. By the time the Mini issues a high wind warning it can be too late.
New flyers have lots of hazards to learn about.
You shouldn't need a screen warning to know there's wind and its speed and direction.
Just like you don't need to be told there are trees or other obstacles.

But any flyer that lets the wind take their drone can't complain that it "flew away".

Have you considered the SE? It's cheap, has the same wind resistance as the 2 and a few other upgrades over the one. Bang for Buckwise, I preferred getting a fly more combo over the 2 as I'm not sure how much I'll use it and there's a good possibility as my "learning" drone it'll be abused. I'm not too fussed about 4k over 2.7, editing in 4k is too tedious for me and unnecessary for what I want (although shooting in RAW and manual would be nice). If I did really get into droning, I would happily skip over the mini 2 for something with more grunt.
Everyone's needs are different, I just thought I would throw it out there as I'm a newbie too and that's how I went.
The Mini SE does not have the wind capabilities of the Mini 2. It has better wind resistance than the Mini 1 because it uses upgraded batteries and motors but the software limits the tilt to 30 degrees instead of the 40 degrees available to the Mini 2. This means in a stiff headwind it will not be able to fight the wind as well. It may be a better choice than the original Mini but you are still giving up the range and transmission strength of OcuSync plus the 4K video and some of the wind capability .

Reactions: Gary R
The Mini SE does not have the wind capabilities of the Mini 2. It has better wind resistance than the Mini 1 because it uses upgraded batteries and motors but the software limits the tilt to 30 degrees instead of the 40 degrees available to the Mini 2. This means in a stiff headwind it will not be able to fight the wind as well. It may be a better choice than the original Mini but you are still giving up the range and transmission strength of OcuSync plus the 4K video and some of the wind capability .
That's interesting about the tilt. I realize that the mini 2 is better in some areas, it would be silly to them not to have differences given the price point. At a given budget, extra batteries, a charger and a decent carry case suited my needs better, for someone else that may be different.

After all, life is a series of tradeoffs.

Reactions: Saladshooter
According to the DJI spec sheets, the SE and the Mini 2 have identical maximum speeds and wind resistance.

Here’s a list of the improvements that I have seen on YouTube videos comparing the MM to the new Mini 2. I haveposted this severl times on MP. Hope it helps:
1. OcuSync 2.0
2. Better wind resistance scale level 5. 18 – 23 mph ( 29-37 Km/hr) due to new motors.
3. Digital zoom feature. Up to 4 times.
4. 31 minute battery life.
5. Front arms don’t twist/flex as much as on the MM. Plastic covers instead of foam as on Mini 1.
6. 4K video 30 fps.
7. Better props (not so flexible).
8. Top speed up from 29 mph to 36 mph (46- 58 Km/hr).
9. High video bit rate increased from 40 mbps to 100 mbps which gives a better image on your phone/tablet.
10. USB C ports.
11. Quieter than MM.
12. Bigger remote battery 5200 mAh. Twice the size of MM remote giving 6 hrs of flight time.
13. Future update may allow the Smart Controller to be used with it.
14. Shoots photos in RAW now.
15. Still under 249 grams
16. 4K Hyperlapse
17. Battery smart discharge feature.
18. Customisable button.
19. Lipo battery not Lion like Mini 1
20. Better angle for flying into wind
21. Lighter than Mini 1 at reported 242 grams.
22. Improved Quickshots. Dronie goes back further etc
23. Pano added
24. Front light (different colours available).
25. The remote works with the Mavic Air 2 as well.
26. Uses 3 satellite systems. The European Galileo is now available should give better GPS lock.
27. The yaw sensitivity can be adjusted in all 3 flight modes.

Here’s a list of the improvements that I have seen on YouTube videos comparing the MM to the new Mini 2. I haveposted this severl times on MP. Hope it helps:
1. OcuSync 2.0
2. Better wind resistance scale level 5. 18 – 23 mph ( 29-37 Km/hr) due to new motors.
3. Digital zoom feature. Up to 4 times.
4. 31 minute battery life.
5. Front arms don’t twist/flex as much as on the MM. Plastic covers instead of foam as on Mini 1.
6. 4K video 30 fps.
7. Better props (not so flexible).
8. Top speed up from 29 mph to 36 mph (46- 58 Km/hr).
9. High video bit rate increased from 40 mbps to 100 mbps which gives a better image on your phone/tablet.
10. USB C ports.
11. Quieter than MM.
12. Bigger remote battery 5200 mAh. Twice the size of MM remote giving 6 hrs of flight time.
13. Future update may allow the Smart Controller to be used with it.
14. Shoots photos in RAW now.
15. Still under 249 grams
16. 4K Hyperlapse
17. Battery smart discharge feature.
18. Customisable button.
19. Lipo battery not Lion like Mini 1
20. Better angle for flying into wind
21. Lighter than Mini 1 at reported 242 grams.
22. Improved Quickshots. Dronie goes back further etc
23. Pano added
24. Front light (different colours available).
25. The remote works with the Mavic Air 2 as well.
26. Uses 3 satellite systems. The European Galileo is now available should give better GPS lock.
27. The yaw sensitivity can be adjusted in all 3 flight modes.
Good list of improvements , except 4K hyper lapse is a manual thing with a fair amount of post work needed??

As mentioned above, the Mini 2 is formidable. I owned a Mini 2 and Mavic Air 2 at the same briefly and to be honest, 9/10 times I would pick the Mini 2. It’s awesome.

Well, the cameras are practically identical, except that recording 4K video is crippled in the original Mini. (The 2.7K video is a downsized version of the 4K that the sensor is actually capturing. The camera system it uses is actually capable of 4K at 60 fps, but that would draw a lot of power and create a lot of heat.) The only real difference for photos is that the Mini 2 supports saving DNG raw photos, but for a "markedly better camera" you need a bigger sensor, like the 1" on the Air 2S.
Let's not split hairs. What I was getting at was the image result is better with the Mini 2. The difference between 2.7k and 4k video while not earth shattering is significant.

The bottom line is that the Mini 2 is something that a beginner can grow into while the Mini 1 is a drone that a beginner can grow out of. 300 Euros for a starter drone isn't bad if it comes with the extra batteries, charger etc and if the OP knows the seller well and the condition of the Mini 1.

The Mini 1 isn't a bad drone. In fact it's quite good for what it is. But in terms of "growing out of" a Mini 1, my own experience as a beginner had me buying a Mavic 2 Pro FOUR WEEKS after getting my Mini 1. Would I have done that had a Mini 2 been my first purchase? Eventually, but not nearly that quickly.

Reactions: B52-D
Let's not split hairs. What I was getting at was the image result is better with the Mini 2. The difference between 2.7k and 4k video while not earth shattering is significant.
Yes, it's significant IF you're watching 4K video on a 4K monitor, and I've said elsewhere that that's an advantage some buyers should consider in deciding if a Mini 2 is worth twice the price. I'm not sure what hair I'm splitting to say that otherwise, the image results are virtually the same, because the camera systems are virtually the same.

As a learner ,I would probably go for the M1.
I have one and fly in winds up to about 20 kph. It has been rock steady and the photos I get are fine.
I think if I was going to crash and break a toy I would rather it cost only 375 rather than 650.
Later when you have got a bit of flight time then re evaluate if you want something bigger, faster, better camera etc.

Reactions: Jam0ne
Yes, it's significant IF you're watching 4K video on a 4K monitor, and I've said elsewhere that that's an advantage some buyers should consider in deciding if a Mini 2 is worth twice the price. I'm not sure what hair I'm splitting to say that otherwise, the image results are virtually the same, because the camera systems are virtually the same.
Look... The technicalities of the physical camera makes no difference. The ability to shoot in 4k does, regardless of whether the OP has a 4k monitor or not. OTHERS might have one and want to view in 4k. While it may not be of value to the OP TODAY in a few weeks it might. That's one of the reasons that prompted me to get a M2P four weeks after buying the Mini 1 and upgrading that to the Mini 2 as soon as I had the chance. The important aspect which you seemed to miss is the fact that a Mini 1 is easy to grow out of. While perhaps not a long-term purchase, in most cases it will be long enough to warrant spending more for the better model. I have learned my lesson time and time again, the moment you write the check you forget what the cost was. Had I heeded my advice I probably would have initially purchased a MA2 and went through the same agony... only to write a much bigger check, buying twice within a month.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS