DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Used MPP Arrived Set Up ?? and First Flight

GregE

Reactions
Arrived today from eBay seller. BTW, No flight attempt until I thoroughly understand this thing but I want to ensure systems are good to go before I complete feedback.
Here's what I found checking it over:
The DJI bag held everything but it sure was jammed. No control stick protectors - looking for some.

The camera gimbal was flopping around. The tab on the back of the gimbal was not inserted in the plastic holder slot. After charging the batteries on the flight and remote the MPP goes thru the startup sequence with the camera moving a lot. Once completed the camera stays level when 'hand flying ' the drone. Not able to see the camera display yet- DJI 4 load issues

Used the scanner to load the DJI Go 4, lots of tutorials available but not getting to the fly app to see the camera display. The ap store showed the M 2 zoom model Go Fly
Spark, P4 Mavic and 12 are listed by the Open touch button. What am I missing?

Dozens of other programs available- which ones do I really need?

Pro style blades are pretty scratched up with one battery and drone top showing scratches also. One new style blade missing from the two boxes included with the FlyMore. Replacements Platinums ordered- probably should have checked one the sources here first.

My printer didn't make the color portions of the manuals legible. So reading the PDFs and not making much progress. So looking here for hints/ info. :)

G

platinum Mavic Pro bag.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Hauptmann
Finally got the Go Pro 4 open on the IOS 8 +. I'll connect up after watching a set up video
1:05 minutes.

Thanks for the assist offer Starz- I will holler if/ when I reach a snag

Reactions: Starz
Arrived today from eBay seller. BTW, No flight attempt until I thoroughly understand this thing but I want to ensure systems are good to go before I complete feedback.
Here's what I found checking it over:
The DJI bag held everything but it sure was jammed. No control stick protectors - looking for some.

The camera gimble was flopping around. The tab on the back of the gimble was not inserted in the plastic holder slot. After charging the batteries on the flight and remote the MPP goes thru the startup sequence with the camera moving a lot. Once completed the camera stays level when 'hand flying ' the drone. Not able to see the camera display yet- DJI 4 load issues

Used the scanner to load the DJI Go 4, lots of tutorials available but not getting to the fly app to see the camera display. The ap store showed the M 2 zoom model Go Fly
Spark, P4 Mavic and 12 are listed by the Open touch button. What am I missing?

Dozens of other programs available- which ones do I really need?

Pro style blades are pretty scratched up with one battery and drone top showing scratches also. One new style blade missing from the two boxes included with the FlyMore. Replacements Platinums ordered- probably should have checked one the sources here first.

My printer didn't make the color portions of the manuals legible. So reading the PDFs and not making much progress. So looking here for hints/ info. :)

G

View attachment 91212
My biggest concern is the gimbal clamp not being inserted when you opened it. All the flopping around it’s done on the way to you is sure to have reduced the life of the ribbon cable for the gimbal. That’s the most delicate part and the first thing to go after heavy usage.

Yes I fits tight in the fly more combo bag.

DJI Go 4 is the main app and you may not feel you need any others but Litchi is the major app you can get to expand the capabilities. Not something you need at the moment just focus on getting the feel for manual flight and then you can move to automated flight.

I’m impressed you resisted taking it out for a spin. I think most of us couldn’t wait to get your new drones in the air.

Don’t use props that already look damaged. It’s not worth it.

Finally got the Go Pro 4 open on the IOS 8 +. I'll connect up after watching a set up video
1:05 minutes.

Thanks for the assist offer Starz- I will holler if/ when I reach a snag
Lol! That’s my home DJI and camera dealer! Had no idea they made videos like that. Best store on earth

Looks like your missing one of the tinted sensor covers on the front of the AC, must have seen some impact for that to pop out.

Was this a bargain price ?

I'd generally check the following

• Do the hover and yaw test, does the AC return to a stable hover without too much drift
  • Take some video and photos to make sure the camera/ sensor is OK, view the photos and videos directly off the SD card to assess
  • Obviously check for crash damage, cracks in arm and body connection points and for prop strikes
  • Replace the damaged props with the genuine MPP low noise design
  • Check Obstacle avoidance sensors, by having a look at the OA radars in DJI Go4 to see that the sensors are measuring correctly in relation to obstacles. They should change based on the distance of the obstacle
  • Makes sure it acquires a home point and check it's accuracy on the map, this shows GPS chip is working (do this outside as inside the house the GPS signal may be blocked)
  • Check for battery swelling and any corrosion on the connectors (battery and AC)
  • Charge the batteries up and check the capacity/number of cycles and voltage stats in DJI Go4, any material in-balance in cell voltages could result in a battery failure, which you wouldn't want when flying
  • Check recharged batteries the next day to see if they have held the charge over night, automatic self discharge starts after the default 4 days.
  • Have a look at the IMU and compass sensors to check if all 4 are online and working (this is in the DJI Go 4 app)
  • Have a look at the gimbal on start up to see that it is free moving and not restricted in any way and that the gimbal is not tilted or not centered and moves fluidly when pitching up and down (gimbal control on RC)
  • Check the butterfly's above the rear arms where they connect to the body for stress cracks, these hold the arms down during flight to prevent prop strikes.
dji mavic butterfly - Copy.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: GregE
Agree with replacing blades - I'm missing one 'no circle' low noise blade and don't want to mix the other style with the three I have. The order I made will be here in 10 days I'll check on Amazon as that's too long to sit.

The camera gimble sure feels delicate- concur with your ribbon concern. Waiting to do a video check until I get some honey do s completed.
It's used- Both sensor shipping covers are gone. Is there a permanent lens protector besides the glass about 1/8" in?
Finished the video- nice speaking voice and little hemming and hawing like some- ie Good presentation

Amazon blades delivery Monday :)

Last edited:
Agree with replacing blades - I'm missing one 'no circle' low noise blade and don't want to mix the other style with the three I have. The order I made will be here in 10 days I'll check on Amazon as that's too long to sit.

The camera gimble sure feels delicate- concur with your ribbon concern. Waiting to do a video check until I get some honey do s completed.
It's used- Both sensor shipping covers are gone. Is there a permanent lens protector besides the glass about 1/8" in?
Finished the video- nice speaking voice and little hemming and hawing like some- ie Good presentation

all the camera gimbals feel like they are going to drop off, but I'd check the rubber band connection points on each of the 4 corners of the gimbal mount to see if they are still attached

Mavic pro camera rubber bands - Copy.jpg

Last edited:
Very helpful, thanks again Mate. All four are in place
Camera checked OK
Motors too
Updated FlySafe
aircraft and controller didn't update - must be current
This battery has been charged 21 times, I'll check the other later
Wrote all the version numbers but lost the whole edit- shut down now.

Thanks for comments Here's how the gimbal arrived and how it should be during transit

Attachments

• Gimbal.jpg
    Gimbal.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 18
  • Secured.jpg
    Secured.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
She flies!! Set up in my driveway surrounded by tall trees, vehicles and buildings. Kept it in Beginner mode and did multiple t/o landings - did not RTH. Ran the battery down to 10% then hovered over the pad until 5%. No idea when the last 5% discharge was done by the PO. I did flex test the props first. Superficial scratches and one small chunk from a trailing edge.

Noticed a couple things- very stable with a slight drift R that I may need to tweak out later. though I did pick it straight up to 70' then back down and it hit the cardboard I had set out.
I had a hard time watching the display and camera view. I may do better in a wide open area where trees aren't a concern. And the display is small- may need some stronger half frame readers.

I tried to make a coordinated turn while flying forward but a no go. Need L rudder and aileron, or maybe that wide open area.

Controller battery still had 50%. Drone was not overly warm. Battery still showed one dot at 5% indicated on the remote display.

Checking for updates earlier I forgot to remove the camera gimbal lock before powering up. Noticed it about 10 minutes later and when I removed it the camera then went thru to start up motion checks. Normal??

Lots more to learn but I met my 'understanding requirement' to be safe so took advantage of a no rain window.

Last edited:
I am surprised that your controller battery was at 50% if it was fully charged before your flight. Perhaps you had it connected to the drone for some time without flying the drone. I would expect it to be more like 70 - 75% even when you had the drone battery down to 5%. Maybe it needs to be fully charged a couple of times to get a better performance. I have glued a thin red ribbon to my gimbal clap to remind me to remove it before use.

She flies!! Set up in my driveway surrounded by tall trees, vehicles and buildings. Kept it in Beginner mode and did multiple t/o landings - did not RTH. Ran the battery down to 10% then hovered over the pad until 5%. No idea when the last 5% discharge was done by the PO. I did flex test the props first. Superficial scratches and one small chunk from a trailing edge.

Noticed a couple things- very stable with a slight drift R that I may need to tweak out later. though I did pick it straight up to 70' then back down and it hit the cardboard I had set out.
I had a hard time watching the display and camera view. I may do better in a wide open area where trees aren't a concern. And the display is small- may need some stronger half frame readers.

I tried to make a coordinated turn while flying forward but a no go. Need L rudder and aileron, or maybe that wide open area.

Controller battery still had 50%. Drone was not overly warm. Battery still showed one dot at 5% indicated on the remote display.

Checking for updates earlier I forgot to remove the camera gimbal lock before powering up. Noticed it about 10 minutes later and when I removed it the camera then went thru to start up motion checks. Normal??

Lots more to learn but I met my 'understanding requirement' to be safe so took advantage of a no rain window.
It's OK to run the batteries down once and a while, but to prolong their life, I'd recommend landing at 30%. Then if you are storing them for days, I'd keep them around 40% to 60% instead of fully charged. It's a pain, but they are expensive.

Gorm, good catch. I spent a lot of time in the house using the controller with a tutorial and checking for updates. Left it on between sessions once so the battery usage was high.

I mentioned running it down this time to deep cycle the battery. This will not be the norm. Charging it back to 40% until some home projects are done.

I forgot to remove the camera gimbal lock before powering up.

Do this . . .

mavic_clamp_tape_lr.jpg

Any bright rescue tape or ribbon, glue securely to the back of the gimbal clamp.
I used a dab of black urethane sealer, still there after nearly 3 years.

It's 2nd nature to remove it now, but the tape just makes sure.

Reactions: GregE
Will Do. I've got Remove Before Flight streamers I use for the car key chain. I'm used to pulling them while pre-flighting helos and aircraft.

Still need to get to wide open space and work on coordinated turns

I'm interested in flight route waypoint planning and am reading a couple helpful threads on here. Good info- keep sharing folks!!

IMG_6453.jpg

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scottyg2s