DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Used smartphones

PoAia

Reactions
Hey guys I'm a newbie I have a mini2 and was thinking of buying a used I phone and plan to use it only to fly my mini ,question is does the phone need to be activated

No, as long as it works, but some of the older phones get weighed down with memory issues.
Regards

Thanks for that information I never thought about that
And the Android DJI Fly app for the mini 2 requires a 64 bit processor. Won't even install on a device with a 32 bit processor. Best to check the list of approved devices on the DJI site before you pull the trigger.

(DJI Fly - Download Center - DJI)

Other devices "may" work but proceed with caution.

Be Careful Out There...

Reactions: Gagey52
I'm constantly getting calls while flying so I use an iPad. If you're looking for a dedicated device, an iPad (even a mini) works pretty well and the bigger screen can be helpful. Just get a cheap tablet holder for your controller on amazon.

Also check compatibility against the version of the app you are likely to use, possibly for the reasons given in post #2

Reactions: PoAia
And the Android DJI Fly app for the mini 2 requires a 64 bit processor. Won't even install on a device with a 32 bit processor. Best to check the list of approved devices on the DJI site before you pull the trigger.

(DJI Fly - Download Center - DJI)

Other devices "may" work but proceed with caution.

Be Careful Out There...
Thanks I heard that the I phones or the I pad mini works best with dji products

A UK spec Samsung S6 works perfectly well for me for the fly app and can be quite cheap, I have several. I use pre 1.2 versions of the app for my mavic mini, 1.3 (I think) for the mini 2 and 1.4.8? for the FPV. The reason for the pre 1.2 versions is that I like readable logs that I can process with CsvView etc.

I bought a second hand Samsung galaxy S8 + for £130 no SIM (no need for any connection) It works a treat. Key reason I bought it is because the NITS (screen brightness) is great. I can see it in quite strong sunlight and much better than my regular Huawei P30 pro phone.

Reactions: Kendallfordguy
I'm constantly getting calls while flying so I use an iPad. If you're looking for a dedicated device, an iPad (even a mini) works pretty well and the bigger screen can be helpful. Just get a cheap tablet holder for your controller on amazon.
ok thanks I was thinking of an I pad mini or a good recondition Iphone

Can’t answer your question because I only use my regular (non-dedicated) iPhone with my Air 2S, but just chimed in to welcome you to the MavicPilots forum. Enjoy, and happy flying! 👋🏾

I bought a second hand Samsung galaxy S8 + for £130 no SIM (no need for any connection) It works a treat. Key reason I bought it is because the NITS (screen brightness) is great. I can see it in quite strong sunlight and much better than my regular Huawei P30 pro phone.
Great I heard that the android is having problems with the minis

A UK spec Samsung S6 works perfectly well for me for the fly app and can be quite cheap, I have several. I use pre 1.2 versions of the app for my mavic mini, 1.3 (I think) for the mini 2 and 1.4.8? for the FPV. The reason for the pre 1.2 versions is that I like readable logs that I can process with CsvView etc.
Good information thank you

Good information thank you
I think the earliest version you can use with the Mini 2 is 1.2.something, I think I have tried 2 of the 1.2 versions (see DJI Fly APKs - APKMirror ) with the Mavic Mini and with both I got disconnections at ridiculously close distances 10 -15 ft etc. so when I got the Mini 2 I went straight to the 1.3.

PS I have a pre 1.2 fly app on a 5S iphone and it works fine but it is a SMALL screen. Since I believe it is more difficult, if not impossiible, to revert to an earlier version of the App I am not going to try a later version of the App on this phone

Last edited by a moderator:

You can turn on the do not disturb feature to eliminate calls and texts when flying. There is an extra step to also turn off calls or texts from your contacts. I'm not sure why apple just couldnt let Do not disturb, mean everyone.

One thing that does not appear to have been drawn to your attention is screen size, depending on how good your eyes are you might want to consider a tablet.

You can turn on the do not disturb feature to eliminate calls and texts when flying. There is an extra step to also turn off calls or texts from your contacts. I'm not sure why apple just couldnt let Do not disturb, mean everyone.
Unfortunately, I need to take a lot of the calls for work.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98