DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

using a phone with no Wi-Fi or data connection

boots

Reactions
Hey all
When i first started flying my mavic I was using an old phone with no Wi-Fi or data connection with no issues. However when i went to a new location i got a prompt on my screen that it was a restricted air space and to confirm that you have permission to fly or accept responsibility for your flight. But i seemed to need a Wi-Fi connection in order to confirm this.

You do not need any data or wifi connection to fly as you know so what is the question?
I get the message for an old grass stip that hasn't had a plane on it in 30+ years... I click the appropriate box's and fly. I have no wifi or data connection on the iPad I use.

Thanks for the reply i think i just didn't scroll down enough. Got it figuerd out thanks.

Reactions: LuvMyTJ
And don't forget to cache your maps at home or wherever you have wifi for the area you plan to fly. ;)

Go to the dji go4 home top right corner for Android its three bars may be three dots for iphone. Click on it go to off line maps pick your reagon and then the down load button to the right. I use Android. It may be a little different for iphone. If you still have trouble serch for it on you tube. Hope this helps.

Reactions: Scarab69
And don't forget, you can use a cell phone as a hotspot for the Mavic. Just load it up, let it grab it's maps, and you can turn hotspot back off (if data usage is an issue). I usually turn my phone hotspot on for my Mavic's iPad Mini 4 wifi whenever I'm flying.

Not sure why i didn't think of that. Thanks for the heads up. There is so much to take in when just starting out.

Reactions: Scarab69
Is there any benefit to using a device that has wifi/cellular?

I was thinking of using an old phone I have as well - if I'm in the yard it'll have wifi but if i go elsewhere it wouldn't. Am I losing any functionality/safety by going that route?

With an iPad Wifi and cellular you will have a GPS and still able to use the Follow me mode. You will be also able to change your home point during the flight in case of you change location (boat, etc...)

Is there any benefit to using a device that has wifi/cellular?

I was thinking of using an old phone I have as well - if I'm in the yard it'll have wifi but if i go elsewhere it wouldn't. Am I losing any functionality/safety by going that route?

Can you tether your old phone to your current one?

With an iPad Wifi and cellular you will have a GPS and still able to use the Follow me mode. You will be also able to change your home point during the flight in case of you change location (boat, etc...)
At least now as a beginner, I dont see me using Follow me or moving my home point too much, so that shouldn't be an impact for now.

Can you tether your old phone to your current one?
Yea, If I needed to, I can.. I dont really have any aversion to using my primary phone all the time, it was more that this one is sitting around doing nothing and thought I could at least make some use of it.

Thank you both for the replies!!

At least now as a beginner, I dont see me using Follow me or moving my home point too much, so that shouldn't be an impact for now.

Yea, If I needed to, I can.. I dont really have any aversion to using my primary phone all the time, it was more that this one is sitting around doing nothing and thought I could at least make some use of it.

Thank you both for the replies!!

You won’t be a beginner in a few months !

Using a phone as hotspot will give you the map but you can also cache them when you are at home with your WiFi

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest