DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Using a propeller holder during storage?

JT437

Reactions
Hi, apologies if this question has been answered elsewhere, but I couldn't find a specific answer.

Basically, I have the DJI Mini 2 fly more kit, and I tend to use the (official) DJI propeller holder (the thing that looks a bit like a sandal, lol) when I store the Mini 2 away.

I guess this is the officially recommended way of storing the Mini 2, but I can't help buy worry that the pressure placed on the propeller blades (especially those on the upper part of the drone, as folded) might be causing undue stress and lead to warping of the blades? Is that likely to be a thing?

I know it's not a huge amount of clamping pressure (and the blades on the underside of the drone body are less clamped) but they are still not loose enough to be able to move freely.

I guess that's the idea of the propeller holder - to stop the blades moving around during transit (and I tend to carry mine in the DJI bag, in a backpack, riding an MTB so it does get jiggled about a lot). I do get that, and it's good for transit, but what about storage when not out and about? Should the drone be stored unfolded, without any sort of propeller guard gripping the blades? (even the official DJI one)

Has anyone been storing their Mini 2 with the prop guard on constantly, and noticed any deformation or issues flying? Would some of those third-party silicone ones (that look like a strip) be a better option? Or just store the device unfolded with the props free to dangle?

Thanks

Hi, apologies if this question has been answered elsewhere, but I couldn't find a specific answer.

Basically, I have the DJI Mini 2 fly more kit, and I tend to use the (official) DJI propeller holder (the thing that looks a bit like a sandal, lol) when I store the Mini 2 away.

I guess this is the officially recommended way of storing the Mini 2, but I can't help buy worry that the pressure placed on the propeller blades (especially those on the upper part of the drone, as folded) might be causing undue stress and lead to warping of the blades? Is that likely to be a thing?

I know it's not a huge amount of clamping pressure (and the blades on the underside of the drone body are less clamped) but they are still not loose enough to be able to move freely.

I guess that's the idea of the propeller holder - to stop the blades moving around during transit (and I tend to carry mine in the DJI bag, in a backpack, riding an MTB so it does get jiggled about a lot). I do get that, and it's good for transit, but what about storage when not out and about? Should the drone be stored unfolded, without any sort of propeller guard gripping the blades? (even the official DJI one)

Has anyone been storing their Mini 2 with the prop guard on constantly, and noticed any deformation or issues flying? Would some of those third-party silicone ones (that look like a strip) be a better option? Or just store the device unfolded with the props free to dangle?

Thanks
Holder/Bra is designed for continuous use. It is shipped mounted, where duration of storage in that state is unknown. No problems leaving mine on for months at a time.

i use the official prop holder from DJI and i agree that the strap that goes over the top props does appear to distort them a little ,so i got around the problem by just having the props folded over the top of the strap,this works perfectly in my hard case

i use the official prop holder from DJI and i agree that the strap that goes over the top props does appear to distort them a little ,so i got around the problem by just having the props folded over the top of the strap,this works perfectly in my hard case
Can you show a picture please?

Reactions: millbah

Attachments

• FHD0002.JPG
    FHD0002.JPG
    4.5 MB · Views: 54
  • FHD0003.JPG
    FHD0003.JPG
    4.5 MB · Views: 51

Thanks
I never fold my Minis. I consider the whole folding thing to be an annoyance.

I store my drones unfolded on bookshelves, high enough to avoid feline predation.

For going places, I bought a hard case for the Mini-2 that allows it to be safely transported with the arms unfolded.

YMMV!

MM-FPV!

Reactions: timinator
I have used the DJI blade guard a lot, but now I'm too lazy to take the Mini 2 out of the 360 degree Propeller Guard (besides it was a pain to clamp on, as one of the clips just would not align and I had to do some work with an Xacto knife and pliers to get it to stay.) When I feel comfortable taking off the guard (when I am through running into things), then I'll probably go back to using the blade guard. From the week I did use the blade guard I didn't notice any deformation of the blades. I think they are very flexible. At that time I was keeping the Mini 2 in the very nice bag that comes with the Fly More package.
Ken

Hey...If braces will straighten teeth clamped probs will take a set...anyway that's what I figure. What's wrong with leaving them loose in the bag. they aren't going anywhere.

Reactions: Mr. Rocketman
If you have access to a 3D printer THIS prop holder works perfectly for the Mini 2 and it doesn't put any pressure on the props or the motors. If you find it useful it's always nice to tip the designer. I tried several before I found this one. Good luck

Thanks for the 3D printed suggestions; they both look good, though sadly I don't have access to a 3D printer.

I can't for the life of me think of the necessity of using a propholder during storage. What do you attempt to gain by that? Even when traveling, I just put my drones in the case, and they've always been fine, been flying for 10 years without an issue. Never used prop holder or even gimbal protector. IMO, the probability of causing damage is heightened by putting the gimbal protector on and off than it is storing in a nice form fitting case.

@Parkerjh ,you are perfectly entitled to share your opinion about gimbal protectors ,and prop holders ,on this forum ,and as someone who has always used them since owning my first DJI drone for more than 4 years ,i think that if DJI thought that there was no point in making them,then they would not bother in the first place

@Parkerjh ,you are perfectly entitled to share your opinion about gimbal protectors ,and prop holders ,on this forum ,and as someone who has always used them since owning my first DJI drone for more than 4 years ,i think that if DJI thought that there was no point in making them,then they would not bother in the first place
Cool! Thanks for reaffirming my rights to share my opinion, much appreciated!

And of course, yes, it is just an opinion. Not sure why people want to strap their props together in storage or while in the car. I'm just adding to the discourse and offering up my experience of a decade of flying DJI drones and not finding the utility in using either. That's all.

Reactions: old man mavic

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozwaldcore