DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Using a second phone?

Elgreco3

Reactions
Hi guys.
Fairly new to this as I was into rc helicopters for a long time but now
I just got the mini, and I find using my phone is a pain.
Taking off the case, using while you might get a call/text etc.
I have my older note 8 that I can use a it's left on the side at ehe moment.
Obviously simcard is not active.
It has gps etc of course.. So what would I be missing if I just use that?
Do I need an active connection? Data?
What's the deal?

Hi guys.
What's the deal?
you dont need cell service ,if it is compatable with the app ,then to get the best performance shut down all apps that you do not need the fly app does need a 64 bit system and uses a lot of the operating system if it does not have a large memory then disable cache to device in the app

Hi guys.
What's the deal?
Ex Heli guy myself... But drones are more of a "movie maker" than a hobbie compared to the Helis. Plus a lot cheaper over a year ? !!
I use an old Pixel 3xl. No sim, no data etc. Just connect to the wifi and Playstore update it before i leave the house. Have had no issues with DJI spark, mini or osmo pocket and action using.

Ex Heli guy myself... But drones are more of a "movie maker" than a hobbie compared to the Helis. Plus a lot cheaper over a year ? !!
I use an old Pixel 3xl. No sim, no data etc. Just connect to the wifi and Playstore update it before i leave the house. Have had no issues with DJI spark, mini or osmo pocket and action using.
Not for me!!! I still love to just fly quads LOS just like I fly my helis. But flying FPV is what I really love flying a DJI Aircraft Amazing tech.

I'm using an older retired BB KeyOne. Not really optimum since it has a physical keyboard and barely fits into the clamps.

I'm considering another phone. But I guess I'd like long battery life and a bright screen if I'm going to invest in a phone to serve merely as a complement to the controller.

Ideas?

Hi guys.
What's the deal?
Since you already have a tablet, first load it with DJI FLY. If all that is good then just download the maps for your flight area in advance. You will probably want a Lekufee tablet holder that can also be used for the phone.

When I had a Mini I used an OTG cable to supply power to my tablet when flying and both when the MC is turned off.

Attachments

• Mini OTG.jpg
    Mini OTG.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 33
Using a retired note 8 in airplane mode as primary device in the MM controller and so far flawless, and is a great highly visible display for this purpose, recommend repurposing no longer front line electronics like this. Uninstalled most of the no longer needed/used apps to free memory and reduce bloat ware and battery drain. Kept maps and use several drone specific WX and flight planning apps and DJI Fly.

Reactions: CareyL
Exactly what I do...after the first time getting a phone call while I was flying made it an easy decision!

I just picked up a used iPhone 7 Plus with a blown earpiece and bad battery for cheap. I swapped out the battery and use it as a dedicated device for my Mini.

I think the iPhone 6-7-8 Plus are the perfect devices to use because of 5.5", 16:9 screen and it fits perfectly in the controller. I started out using my OnePlus 7T Pro and barely got it to fit mainly because of how the cable plugged into the USB C port sat in the controller handle. I felt like it was putting a lot of wear and tear on the port.

Last edited:
Has anyone tried to use demo phones (without gsm module)? They can be found at low price, unused (not talking about used for show rooms).

Afaik, Samsung can be used without problems, apps can be installed regulary, but also i got info that on Lg demo phones there is couple restriction (battery can be charged only up to 50%, app installation via gplay i locked etc).

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair