DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Using an iPad Pro 10.25" screen with Mavic Pro and the Titan Switch antenna system

iowahill

Reactions
First, my thanks to forum member sea157 for ideas on how to best configure my MP1 controller, my iPad Pro, and the Titan Switch amplified range extender system into a manageable package, as well as bdog and a couple of others for help in using Litchi for mapping and surveying which I had started a thread about earlier.

So I tried two different tablet holders to mount my 10.25" iPad to my controller, one which seemed a little better than the other, but both were somewhat unwieldy and cumbersome to use when attached to the controller. It was sea157 who encouraged me to replace my Itelite NanoSync (passive) range extender with the Titan Drones Switch system that has re-configurable directional and omni antennas as well as a powered amplifier, all of which can be changed in a matter of seconds for a particular need.

My particular need was for an omni-directional system with maximum gain and range for mapping my mining property in mountainous and forested territory as well as local missions in the more urban area of my business where obstructions like trees and buildings are many. So after much discussion on the Mavic forum and reading of other's experiences, I made the plunge to get the Titan Switch as well as their car-mount +9 dB 14" whip antennas that have ~10'-plus cables and QMA quick release antenna connectors instead of the screw-on SMA style that is commonly found.

I had already swapped out the Itelite kit controller SMA connectors on my controller with the Titan QMA connectors and the Tee mount that comes with their system. In initial testing I found that the Titan 14" omni whip antennas would far exceed the range of my bird's battery to return home, so I felt very satisfied for making the purchase.

But the problem of having an awkward configuration being held in my hands while flying and trying to watch the tablet's screen was a problem in need of a solution. That's where sea157 stepped in and sent me photos of his solution, mounting the works on a camera tripod. In looking at his photos I got the idea but nothing seemed to make sense to me until I received the Titan kit and started to do a skeletal assembly for testing.

Then things then began to gel for me. I wanted the controller to be as free from any added weight as possible, my iPad to be easily removable from its mount, and everything capable of being broken down into small enough modules that they could be packed into a small padded case. The tripod could be handled separately due to its length. So though I can see a few areas that can be improved here's what I have...

mt-1.jpg mt-2.jpg mt-3.jpg mt-4.jpg mt-5.jpg mt-6.jpg

The tablet with its protective Fintie cover slips nicely into the aluminum channel frame which has been formed into a U shape and has holes and clearance made to allow plugging in the 10' Apple USB-to-Lightning cable between the controller and the tablet. The Fintie cover's flap also serves as a sun shade when the formed wire bail attached at the base of the frame through two small holes is used.

The frame is attached to a piece of 1 1/2" aluminum angle with Superglue after I had sanded off the anodized coating from the mounting surfaces and degreased the contact area. The assembly is bolted to a 1/4" beam clamp that acts as a riser and mates with the tripod's 1/4" threaded fastener.

I had ordered a spare tee-mount receptacle from Titan that is mounted to the rear of the frame and tripod mount assembly, though the car-mount cables are attached to the same kind of mount. So I will eventually remove one of the mounts just to clean things up a bit.

I didn't want to take too much metal off of the U-frame so I have to power my iPad up before inserting it into the frame. I'm sure there's a few ways to do it but I want to keep things as simple as I can with what I have.

I have about 10' of cable between my controller and the tripod bound in spiral wrap to give me mobility around the tripod if and when I choose. It could be argued that my current placement of the tablet creates a shadow obstruction to the rear of the antennas, but the tripod mount swivels so that I can always swing into the direction of the bird if I see signal loss. It hasn't been an issue for me yet.

I'm sure that other clever and resourceful members have their own solutions and ideas, so comments and suggestions are most welcome. And if you've been inspired, go for it!

Last edited:
You are going deep and I love it! Super glue gets the thumbs down though. Drive some self tappers in at strategic locations.

I couldn't use a fastener because I needed the full channel to seat the iPad. Tig or AL wire weld would be good but I didn't have either and was anxious to get this done. The Superglue method is about the same as Grumman used to build the Yankee and perhaps a few other small planes. I've flown right seat in a Yankee and am here to attest that the wings or other vital components were still there when we touched down!

Rev 2 of the design will be my chance to correct any mis-steps.

Reactions: Mavic Pro Platinum
So first, my thanks to member sea157 for ideas on how to best configure my MP1 controller, my iPad Pro, and the Titan Switch amplified range extender system into a manageable package, as well as bdog and a couple of others for help in using Litchi for mapping and surveying which I started a thread about earlier.

So I tried two different tablet holders to mount my 10.25" iPad to my controller, one which seemed a little better than the other, but both were somewhat unwieldy and cumbersome to use when attached to the controller. It was sea157 who encouraged me to replace my Itelite NanoSync (passive) range extender with the Titan Drones Switch system that has re-configurable directional and omni antennas as well as a powered amplifier, all of which can be changed in a matter of seconds for a particular need.

My particular need was for an omni-directional system with maximum gain and range for mapping my mining property in mountainous and forested territory as well as local missions in the more urban area of my business where obstructions like trees and buildings are many. So after much discussion on the Mavic forum and reading of other's experiences, I made the plunge to get the Titan Switch as well as their car-mount +9 dB 14" whip antennas that have ~10'-plus cables and QMA quick release antenna connectors instead of the screw-on SMA style that is commonly found.

I had already swapped out the Itelite kit controller SMA connectors on my controller with the Titan QMA connectors and the Tee mount that comes with their system. In initial testing I found that the Titan 14" omni whip antennas would far exceed the range of my bird's battery to return home, so I felt very satisfied for making the purchase.

But the problem of having an awkward configuration being held in my hands while flying and trying to watch the tablet's screen was a problem in need of a solution. That's where sea157 stepped in and sent me photos of his solution, mounting the works on a camera tripod. In looking at his photos I got the idea but nothing seemed to make sense to me until I received the Titan kit and started to do a skeletal assembly for testing.

Then things then began to gel for me. I wanted the controller to be as free from any added weight as possible, my iPad to be easily removable from its mount, and everything capable of being broken down into small enough modules that they could be packed into a small padded case. The tripod could be handled separately due to its length. So though I can see a few areas that can be improved here's what I have...

View attachment 59129 View attachment 59130 View attachment 59131 View attachment 59132 View attachment 59133 View attachment 59134

The tablet with its protective Fintie cover slips nicely into the aluminum channel frame which has been formed into a U shape and has holes and clearance made to allow plugging in the 10' Apple USB-to-Lightning cable between the controller and the tablet. The Fintie cover's flap also serves as a sun shade when the formed wire bail attached at the base of the frame through two small holes is used.

The frame is attached to a piece of 1 1/2" aluminum angle with Superglue after I had sanded off the anodized coating from the mounting surfaces and degreased the contact area. The assembly is mounted to a 1/4" beam clamp that acts as a riser and mates with the tripod's 1/4" threaded fastener.

I had ordered a spare tee-mount receptacle from Titan that is mounted to the rear of the frame and tripod mount assembly, though the car-mount cables are attached to the same kind of mount. So I will eventually remove one of the mounts just to clean things up a bit.

I didn't want to take too much metal off of the U-frame so I have to power my iPad up before inserting it into the frame. I'm sure there's a few ways to do it but I want to keep things as simple as I can with what I have.

I have about 10' of cable between my controller and the tripod bound in spiral wrap to give me mobility around the tripod if and when I choose. It could be argued that my current placement of the tablet creates a shadow obstruction to the rear of the antennas, but the tripod mount swivels so that I can always swing into the direction of the bird if I see signal loss. It hasn't been an issue for me yet.

I'm sure that other clever and resourceful members have their own solutions and ideas, so comments and suggestions are most welcome. And if you've been inspired, go for it!

A little different than mine but it looks good iowahill.

Reactions: iowahill
Hope it holds as Version 2 might mean the addition of a new 10.25" Ipad to replace the one that flew the coop. At least add a tether?

Hope it holds as Version 2 might mean the addition of a new 10.25" Ipad to replace the one that flew the coop. At least add a tether?

Got the tether "just in case"! But I have much faith in the methyl-based cyanoacrylate that is formulated for metal-to-metal bonding.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lboogie007