DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Using GPS on wifi only enabled tablet

LazyBird

Reactions
Hello everyone, I am very new to drone flying. I have a Mavic Air and wanted to tap into any feedback or experience anyone has on using an iPad Mini 4 wifi tethered to the RC via data cable while providing GPS coverage via hotspot using a cell phone? I think it would still need maps to be cached before flying but would it in particular support accurate RTH function or dynamic RTH if used this way?

but would it in particular support accurate RTH function or dynamic RTH if used this way?
Don't waste your effort.
Your drone already has its own perfectly good GPS receiver.
It uses that for all flight functions.

The only features that can use a GPS in your tablet are Follow-me flight and resetting the home point to the current location of the controller.
Neither is used much by most flyers and there are alternatives that work just as well anyway.

Thanks Meta4, that’s very helfpful. Didn’t know the bird has inbuilt gps function. Look forward to continue learning at this forum.

I've used a wifi only iPad Pro, either tethered to my iPhone or with my (business) mobile hotspot with no problems at all. (Edited to add - with a Mavic 2 and the standard controller, in case that makes any difference.)

Reactions: Streeturchin
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SkyTechDji