DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Using hand launch and capture

Nickyb65

Reactions
Hi All,

Had my Mini Pro 3 for a week now and really impressed with it.

I took it out yesterday, it was a bit windy (around 28mph) but I thought about keep it low, but the tiny drone still managed to stay in the same spot in the sky,
just so impressive with this technology and I'm sure its no easy engineering feet to accomplish.

A couple of points I'm hoping you can help me with?

1. The RC display showed 'windy conditions' were does this info come from, how does the drone know it's windy? Would this be from the amount of
turbulence the drone is experiencing/bumping etc?

2. I'm as other forum members suggested doing hand launches now. A bit working at first, thinking the drone will tip sideways and lop my fingers off LOL
but is really easy and a few YouTube videos explain this.

On landing, its taking me a bit longer.

I keep my palm flat and pull of the left stick but the drone then try's to move up (probably think its hitting the ground), I then grab it under neath and can't believe the strength
this drone has as it try's to pull away from my hand.

Should I just execute the landing from the RC controller and just keep my hand still?

Thanks for any advice

Thumbswayup

Reactions: old man mavic
@Nickyb65 it gets the information from the IMU ,which is monitoring various inputs from different sensors ,and comparing them to predetermined measurements provided by set parameters in the programming,this happens constantly when the drone is in flight
it does not know how strong the wind actually is ,just that it exceeds what the drone is capable of overcoming,according to those set parameters
with the hand catching hover just as you are now with your palm flat then wait for the drone to rise up as it senses your hand , after it has stopped rising, just hold the left stick fully down ,and it will descend onto your hand, keep your hand still till the motors stop, then release the left stick
be very careful in windy conditions, and position yourself so the wind is behind you ,so if something goes wrong the drone will not be blown into you

@Nickyb65 it get the information from the IMU ,which is monitoring various inputs from different sensors ,and comparing them to predetermined measurements provided by set parameters in the programming,this happens constantly when the drone is in flight
it does not know how strong the wind actually is ,just that it exceeds what the drone is capable of overcoming,according to those set parameters
with the hand catching hover just as you are now with your palm flat then wait for the drone to rise up as it senses your hand , after it has stopped rising, just hold the left stick fully down ,and it will descend onto your hand, keep your hand still till the motors stop, then release the left stick
be very careful in windy conditions, and position yourself so the wind is behind you ,so if something goes wrong the drone will not be blown into you
Thanks very much for the detailed info, it still amazes me all this technology and what it can do, especially in sub 250 gram product. (Removed by Moderator due to being political)

I would strongly recommend you disregard much of this article. It is very clear the author has little knowledge on the subject and has merely compiled snippets of inaccurate text from the Internet and incorrectly interpreting DJI’s manual and guidelines.

DJI or other small drones do not have spinning disk gyroscopes - they use MEMS devices which are miniature electro-mechanical devices created by similar processes to the manufacture of semi-conductors and measure vibration of a microscopic tuning fork amongst other methods to detect angular rotation.

IMU’s do not need repeated calibration and only when, very rarely, a calibration is required it needs more than a flat surface - it most importantly needs a level one.

I would strongly recommend you disregard much of this article. It is very clear the author has little knowledge on the subject and has merely compiled snippets of inaccurate text from the Internet and incorrectly interpreting DJI’s manual and guidelines.

DJI or other small drones do not have spinning disk gyroscopes - they use MEMS devices which are miniature electro-mechanical devices created by similar processes to the manufacture of semi-conductors and measure vibration of a microscopic tuning fork amongst other methods to detect angular rotation.

IMU’s do not need repeated calibration and only when, very rarely, a calibration is required it needs more than a flat surface - it most importantly needs a level one.
thanks for the reply, I will take what you said onboard.

To amplify what @old man mavic said, rather than fighting the drone when landing it in your hand, it's better to just keep holding the stick down until it descends into your hand and the motors stop. I do this all of the time. When it lands in my hand, I grip it firmly but hold it in place until the props stop spinning.

Another tip is to hand launch and land with the wind to your back. You don't want a strong gust of wind blowing it back toward your face.

On landing, its taking me a bit longer.

I keep my palm flat and pull of the left stick but the drone then try's to move up (probably think its hitting the ground), I then grab it under neath and can't believe the strength
this drone has as it try's to pull away from my hand.

If you have a lanyard for the remote, it makes hand launching / landings much easier.

I never trusted myself with the open palm method but tend to grasp the aircraft underneath like a dart or paper airplane for a good grip.

In case you didn't know, you can tilt the aircraft past 90 degrees and it will kill the motors.

It's not recommended due to possibly dropping the aircraft and damaging it or yourself, but it works in an emergency.

NOT a good idea as the motors will try to stabilise the craft, overspeed.

Reactions: Bob in Savannah
For those interested in learning a bit more about these amazing pieces of technology, rather than just flying them, the IMU (Inertial Measurement Unit) could be called the brain of the drone's auto pilot system and usually comprises:
  • 3-axis accelerometer: measures the accelerations along its X, Y & Z axes
  • 3-axis gyroscope: measures the rotational velocity around its X, Y & Z axes
  • 3-axis magnetometer: measures the local magnetic field components along its X, Y & Z axes
This setup is made out of 9 sensors (3 sensors X 3 axes), so it is generally referenced as 9-DOF IMU.

Very basically the outputs from the IMU feed into the motor control system (along with outputs from the GPS, Barometer and others fitted sensors) which in turn change their individual rotational speed to correct (cancel out) these sensed changes.
As I say, very basic description.....................

For those interested in learning a bit more about these amazing pieces of technology, rather than just flying them, the IMU (Inertial Measurement Unit) could be called the brain of the drone and usually comprises:
  • 3-axis accelerometer: measures the accelerations along its X, Y & Z axes
  • 3-axis gyroscope: measures the rotational velocity around its X, Y & Z axes
  • 3-axis magnetometer: measures the local magnetic field components along its X, Y & Z axes
This setup is made out of 9 sensors (3 sensors X 3 axes), so it is generally referenced as 9-DOF IMU.

Very basically the outputs from the IMU feed into the motor control system (along with outputs from the GPS, Barometer and others fitted sensors) which in turn change their individual rotational speed to correct (cancel out) these sensed changes.
As I say, very basic description.....................
thanks for the info, very interesting indeed.

I'm not a fan of hand catching and on the fence about hand launching, but sometimes its necessary. The Mini 2 was easy to hand launch because once you get the motors going you can just toss it in the air. I don't think you can launch a Mini 3 by tossing it into the air, and need to use the stick or the launch button on screen. As suggested a lanyard will help you because you'll need to be able to hold the drone and work the sticks to start up the motors.

But regardless of how you choose to launch and/or land I strongly recommend getting a lanyard for your controller(s). It will almost always be useful, but there are so many conditions and situation where may it may be essential. My Mavic 2 and Mini 2 (DJI RC) get packed with the lanyards still attached to the conroller. The RCN1 controller doesn't close all the way with the lanyard attached, but it is right there and the first thing I attach when setting it up.

But regardless of how you choose to launch and/or land I strongly recommend getting a lanyard for your controller(s).
Good advice! Not that I often do it but being right handed I find it very hard to hold the controller and pull the L/H stick down at the same time!

The RCN1 controller doesn't close all the way with the lanyard attached, but it is right there and the first thing I attach when setting it up.

Here's what I did a couple of years ago.

Worked great. :cool:

Reactions: gope_73
Let’s go back to the OP hand catching for a moment. I have hand caught my drone hundreds of times now but about 6 weeks ago, I got careless and in a hurry and cut 2 of my fingers badly. This was with an Air2S. Learn how to catch because there are times when you’ll need to, just don’t get over confident or careless. 🙀

Let’s go back to the OP hand catching for a moment. I have hand caught my drone hundreds of times now but about 6 weeks ago, I got careless and in a hurry and cut 2 of my fingers badly. This was with an Air2S. Learn how to catch because there are times when you’ll need to, just don’t get over confident or careless. 🙀
The Air2's and the Mavic 2's/3s have thicker propellers driven by more powerful motors so they can really hurt you if you get careless. Even the MInis can bite you or cut you pretty good. I got bit pretty good once.

With my Mini 2, after getting "bit" once, I found a "catch" routine that I liked better. I'd bring my Mini 2 in close, and because it had leg extensions on it, I'd grab one of the front legs while it was hovering in front of me and turn it upside down where the motors would stop. That wayI could get a good grasp of the drone and shut down the motors without using the controller. Can't do that with a Mini 3 as they amputated the legs to save weight so it could have sensors.

I’ve resisted posting to this thread, but @Dbez1 shared their experience, here is some modern theory around industrial safety:

There are no or few true accidents. There are unsafe actions, which sometimes result in property damage, injury, or mortality.

In industrial safety one of the primary goals is to reduce damage/injury, by eliminating unsafe actions.

Can you really call holding for launch with those props spinning and accelerating a safe action? If it were a tablesaw or other stationary power tool you would not have your hand within the danger zone where the blade could cut you. And that power tool is stationary; it isn’t moving like a drone.

I don’t think hand launching, or even worse, hand catching is a safe action. I might accept the risk, but even as I do so some kid is watching saying “Seth did it, so it must be OK”. Or you might post on a drone forum about how you’ve never had a problem, so it must be safe.

It’s inherently unsafe. I don’t quarrel with those who want to play the odds with their own safety - have at it. But please don’t normalize it. That no damage resulted 999 times, but on the thousanth time @Dbez1 was badly cut is entirely predictable. That is how “accidents” happen.

Unlike industrial environments we haven’t had a drone fatality yet. Drones are a bit more forgiving. Rant over. Whew.

IMO there is nothing more satisfying than creative solutions. I have employed something similar with my Mavic 2's controller. I put hair bands through the hole in the fold-out handles and then attach a 2 point lanyard to them. Another approach was to wrap a hair band entirelyaround the controller. I use a clip attachment that slides over the top edge of the controller, though a hairband would indeed fit inside as the antenna retracts and closes. The thing is that with the single hairband I'd probably still have to detach the strap.

The most difficult one to figure out was the DJI RC controller. No handles or places to clip onto. But the screen shade I bought had two thumbscrews that secured the shade on bottom of the controller. I cut two leather patches and punched holes in them for the screws and to attach the strap- and Bob's your uncle. I don't use the screen shade very often, but the thumbscrews, leather and usually the strap stay attached when packed. Extremely convenient.

Sorry if I've hijacked this thread.

IMG_4108.JPG

1662590569266.png

1662590789071.png

My opinions. Worth precisely what you pay for them:

1) A lanyard for the RC is essential. I have a very long story about why, but I won't relate it here. It has to do with how many hands we have. :)

2) Hand launch/catch skills are similarly essential. There are times when you simply have to hand launch and catch. Best you're familiar with the technique and well practiced in the art. It's mildly hazardous, but so is a hammer.

Yeah, the Air2s is wicked. I very stupidly tried to milk just that last bit of battery out of mine once, and when it forced an emergency landing, I used my last second of control and flew it toward my location where it snagged on a deck rail as it descended. A leg of the drone hooked the rail, but it was bouncing all over as if trying to free itself, and I panicked and ran over and just grabbed it wherever I could, because a recovery would have been very difficult if it had fallen. Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrp. OUCH. Did a number on a few fingers and near my thumb. I only realized after 15 seconds or so that I was bleeding profusely. Fortunately the property owner was nearby and gave me some paper towels and band-aids. Lesson learned 🙄.

Attachments

• 2602A661-9983-4BFB-A170-09B139D97112.jpeg
    2602A661-9983-4BFB-A170-09B139D97112.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 8
Reactions: Dbez1
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member