DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Using Mavic Mini Controller with an iPhone X and Otterbox case?

RavenManiac

Reactions
How thick is the phone with the otter box...? You might find you spend as much time setting up the tablet holder as you would taking the case off....

But if the case is 10mm or less in thickness then it might be work trying out this accessory "Yifant Phone Support Mount for DJI Mavic Mini", looks like it would be quick to install and use...

Amazon.com: Yifant Phone Support Mount for DJI Mavic Mini/Mavic 2 / Mavic/Mavic Air/Spark Drone Remote Control Accessories Smartphone 3D Holder for iPhone/Samsung/Huawei/Xiaomi Cellphone: Toys & Games

Mrveronn, thanks for your response.

The Otterbox is 6.31" long x 3.55" wide x 1.39" thick. I considered using a dedicated iPad mini 2 with the PSYTECH holder but it only has 440 nits of brightness, whereas the iPhone X is 726. I suppose I could pair the iPad mini 2 with a hood. My main concern is since I'm an inexperienced pilot I want to be able to clearly see what the Mavic Mini is seeing to avoid any collisions, especially with trees, which are my biggest fear.

What would you do?

I think when I had a otterbox on my phone I had to take it out of the case. However...none are perfect. The larger the screen the better off you are (ipad pro) but there are time's when your visibility is limited regardless unless you have a large shade. I've never used a shade mainly because they are so unhandy and draw a lot of attention but you are going to find time's when only shade will help. Iphone's have a feature that dims the screen when the phone is under a load (DJI 4) and is also in high temps and you can't turn it off with any of the Iphone's that I have had. That lone tree can really be a friend in need.

Reactions: RavenManiac
I have an otterbox case on my Iphone 6 S+ but the problem is not getting it into the holder but the data cable can't plug into the phone with the case.

If your going to use a Ipad mini there is no need for an extra holder as the one with the remote fits fine.

You will also need an extended data cable, I did buy from Amazon a cheap one but it didn't work so ordered from here DJI Mavic Mini - For Apple Devices - Custom Data Cable (30cm) - Lightning

IMG_0763(1).JPG

IMG_0764(1).JPG

grahamjohnson10, thanks for your post and the photos.

Do you have any issues with screen glare or brightness? Is an iPad mini 2 powerful enough to run the GoFly app? And finally, if the iPad mini doesn't have cellular communications how do you get satellite links and Mavic Mini trajectory?

I don't know about glare as it's always been cloudy.
My Ipad is not cellular only wifi.
I do connect it to my Iphones hotspot so as map data shows up ok.
Mavic Mini trajectory is via the data cable.
The only downside is the DJI Fly compass is not very good.

OH AND NEVER UPDATE YOUR HOME POINT

Capture.JPG

Ok, good to know. Thanks for the tips. Out of curiosity, why is it a bad idea to update the home point?

1.39" thick...yea, that is too thick for the phone mount I linked...

I agree you need to look at a tablet mount to accommodate a case like that...I think you'll find a lot of suggestions/comments on the forum about the different types...

In my case, I was planning to use my iPad so got a tablet mount, but found it was just too fiddly setting everything up. And in addition I discovered that the tablet mount would not hold the iPad case (that I was using for my iPad) very firmly in the holder. So I went with a iPad Mini 4 that can slide right into the RC mount. Gives me a nice size screen, and quick to setup. And I have a screen shade that slips onto the antennas, and helps see the screen in bright light.

I've kept the tablet mount (sold by Drone Valley) in case I every want/need to use my iPad...it does a decent job (if I take the iPad out of its case) and it folds up really compactly, and it has a storage compartment...lightweight plastic so easier to carry, but won't stand much abuse...

I don't know about glare as it's always been cloudy.
My Ipad is not cellular only wifi.
I do connect it to my Iphones hotspot so as map data shows up ok.
Mavic Mini trajectory is via the data cable.
The only downside is the DJI Fly compass is not very good.

OH AND NEVER UPDATE YOUR HOME POINT

View attachment 87456
Because when you update the homepoint it sets it to where your tablet thinks it is.
The white line above is where it thinks the tablet is.

Wow! Ok, good to know. BTW, I just ordered a cable from Drone Valley per your suggestion, so thanks!

And finally, how do you quote in this forum?
Just click the gray Reply button to the bottom right of the message you want to quote.

1.39" thick...yea, that is too thick for the phone mount I linked...

So I went with a iPad Mini 4 that can slide right into the RC mount. Gives me a nice size screen, and quick to setup. And I have a screen shade that slips onto the antennas, and helps see the screen in bright light.

Can you post a link to the screen shade you purchased?

Reactions: grahamjohnson10
Hello everyone.

First-time drone owner. I want to use my new Mavic Mini with my iPhone X with an Otterbox Case. I would prefer not to have to remove the case every time I fly. Is this a good solution? Amazon.com: PGYTECH Tablet Mount Holder Compatible with DJI Mavic Pro/Mavic Air/Spark/Mavic 2 Pro/Zoom, Adjustable Foldable Bracket Aluminum 4-10.5 Inchs Pad Holder Remote Controller Accessories Parts RCmall: Toys & Games

Thanks for your help.

I modified (altered) my otter case to allow the cable to plug into my phone. It involved removing some soft case material and some of the plastic portion. Scissors worked on the soft part and a hack saw blade worked on the plastic portion. Now I don't have to remove my otter case to fly.

Hello everyone.

First-time drone owner. I want to use my new Mavic Mini with my iPhone X with an Otterbox Case. I would prefer not to have to remove the case every time I fly. Is this a good solution? Amazon.com: PGYTECH Tablet Mount Holder Compatible with DJI Mavic Pro/Mavic Air/Spark/Mavic 2 Pro/Zoom, Adjustable Foldable Bracket Aluminum 4-10.5 Inchs Pad Holder Remote Controller Accessories Parts RCmall: Toys & Games

I have a MM and use the iPhone 7 plus in an Otterbox Defender case. I use this holder (see attached) with a longer RC cord. It works perfectly.IMG_6590.jpg

Thanks for your help.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corbo2000