DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Using Nexus 6 with Mavic

TommyGun

Reactions
Just thought I would write a thread on here for anyone googling it since I couldn't find anything, but something a little annoying I discovered yesterday when I received my Mavic. I have a Nexus 6 Phone, the big one, it fits within the controllers grasp but the micro USB port causes two issues.

1) It's in the middle of the large phone and is partially covered by the flipped out holder so accessing the micro-usb using the standard "slider" does not work well.

2) For some reason, the Micro USB port on the Nexus 6 is flipped upside down, opposite of my Samsung S4 or S5, and many other standard android phones. This becomes a issue because you cannot use the nice, shorter, cables that come with the mavic to hook it up because they are only oriented one way. Too get it to work, your screen would be facing down, and away from you. I had to use the extended micro usb cable, and have my phone sit an inch below where it should with a long cable hanging below. Not nearly as nice as a snug fit within the controller.

Sad to say because I love my Nexus 6, but I think I need to get a new phone that works better with the Mavic :(

Reactions: pnwxcharlie
As an iPhone SE owner you couldn't pay me to give up my perfect-sized phone, but i knew I wanted a larger screen for the Mavic so used Android phones seemed the way to go....nothing depreciates faster than a flagship Android phone....:D

I wanted as large and as bright a screen that would fit within the 160mm limit, and the Nexus 6 seemed perfect until I checked the dimensions. I noticed that the fit was just off in one dimension, so I went with a used Note 5 from Craigslist....large, bright, and really cheap too! Thumbswayup

I received my Mavic today and just realized that very problem with the Nexus 6. :confused:

What extended micro USB cable are you using now?

EDIT: Ah, I just read in the manual that you can use an USB-to-Micro USB cable too. I guess this is what you did?!

Last edited:
Reactions: TommyGun
Can someone please post picture(s) of the fit for the Nexus 6?

Good call on the reversed micro-usb cable barefootFPV.

Can someone please post picture(s) of the fit for the Nexus 6?

Good call on the reversed micro-usb cable barefootFPV.
I don't have a pic for you but I don't think it will matter. I can't even get my Nexus 6 to connect properly to the Mavic with any sort of cable. The app itself will not connect to the camera. It shows up and starts giving off all sorts of warnings but no visual. I still haven't flown my mavic because I don't feel safe yet. I hooked it up to my wifes iPhone 6+ just now and it started up perfectly. The Nexus 6 isn't a supported device, I may need to move on and get something else.

I don't have a pic for you but I don't think it will matter. I can't even get my Nexus 6 to connect properly to the Mavic with any sort of cable. The app itself will not connect to the camera. It shows up and starts giving off all sorts of warnings but no visual. I still haven't flown my mavic because I don't feel safe yet. I hooked it up to my wifes iPhone 6+ just now and it started up perfectly. The Nexus 6 isn't a supported device, I may need to move on and get something else.
Had the same problem at first with no video. Make sure your USB option in the notification bar is not set to charge only.

Just thought I would write a thread on here for anyone googling it since I couldn't find anything, but something a little annoying I discovered yesterday when I received my Mavic. I have a Nexus 6 Phone, the big one, it fits within the controllers grasp but the micro USB port causes two issues.

1) It's in the middle of the large phone and is partially covered by the flipped out holder so accessing the micro-usb using the standard "slider" does not work well.

2) For some reason, the Micro USB port on the Nexus 6 is flipped upside down, opposite of my Samsung S4 or S5, and many other standard android phones. This becomes a issue because you cannot use the nice, shorter, cables that come with the mavic to hook it up because they are only oriented one way. Too get it to work, your screen would be facing down, and away from you. I had to use the extended micro usb cable, and have my phone sit an inch below where it should with a long cable hanging below. Not nearly as nice as a snug fit within the controller.

Sad to say because I love my Nexus 6, but I think I need to get a new phone that works better with the Mavic :(

I had the same issue with my Oneplus One. I just got the Nexus 6P with USB-C connector... but ya, a bit disappointing in terms of design layout for both dji and phone. otherwise happy with mavic

My Nexus 6 works fine with the Mavic, I had no problems establishing a connection. Which version of Android are you running?

Had the same problem at first with no video. Make sure your USB option in the notification bar is not set to charge only.
Where is this option and how do I look for/change it? Is it the notification bar on my phone? Within the app? or on the controller itself?? Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks,

Where is this option and how do I look for/change it? Is it the notification bar on my phone? Within the app? or on the controller itself?? Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks,
I found the option you are talking about on my Nexus. I'm going to test it in about an hour, looks like it was set to charge only, i hope this is the solution.

Thanks,

I found the option you are talking about on my Nexus. I'm going to test it in about an hour, looks like it was set to charge only, i hope this is the solution.

Thanks,
Sweet. It pops up in the Android notification bar when the phone is plugged in to the controller.

Sweet. It pops up in the Android notification bar when the phone is plugged in to the controller.
Thank you, that was it. It does seem to connect now. Still I must say though that it appears as if things are much smoother using the iOS app. I always flew my P3P with an iPad Air and never had an issue, it just doesn't feel right on my Nexus 6. And this is coming from someone who hates Apple. But my love for drones overshadows that hate.

Thank you, that was it. It does seem to connect now. Still I must say though that it appears as if things are much smoother using the iOS app. I always flew my P3P with an iPad Air and never had an issue, it just doesn't feel right on my Nexus 6. And this is coming from someone who hates Apple. But my love for drones overshadows that hate.
Been working great for me. Your nexus 6 is a couple years old now though, but there are threads about optimizing phones. Msinger has a great site here.

DJI Mavic Accessories & Tips - Mavic Help

It is a good idea to turn off all extraneous processes that would not be needed for flight. i.e. Bluetooth , WiFi, close all apps that may be open in the background.

The idea is to give the phones processor only one task and that is to run the DJI Go app One will never get down to just one task that is DJI GO app, but there are often other processes that are stealing resources from the main processor on the phone.

The Above link that kmaluo posted is a great starting point.

Are you able to snap a picture of the issues you are having with the nexus 6p? Does it work with the Nexus 6P or do I not really have a choice but to get a new phone :/...

Thank you!!!

Is anyone able to show us how the Nexus 6p doesn't fit in the controller? I don't have it in front of my so it's kind of confusing.

Happy flying

Is anyone able to show us how the Nexus 6p doesn't fit in the controller? I don't have it in front of my so it's kind of confusing.

Happy flying

First off, this should only apply for the Nexus 6, not the Nexus 6P, I believe the 6P is smaller and should work but I wouldn't know for sure. The first pic is how a phone should fit in the holder with using the included SHORT micro usb cable, the Nexus 6 cannot use this because 1) the orientation of the input on the Nexus 6 is reversed (as pointed out earlier, you can buy the other one from DJI.com for $9 but it is not included) 2) The placement of the micro usb on the Nexus 6 is slightly blocked by the length of the holder (See photo 2):

This is a close up of why this doesn't work:

And this is how I have to fly, using the included standard USB to micro USB cable. Kind of clunky and ugly.

Reactions: m4v1c
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929