DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Using the Smart Controller w/LAANC

I suppose you're asking how to install Airmap or Kittyhawk, since those are the only two apps I'm aware of currently that can process LAANC requests.

You'd have to sideload the APK for those apps.

Probably easier just to submit authorization requests using either of those apps on your phone. Authorizations have no technical bearing on whether the AC will fly or not. That's controlled by DJI geofencing which tries to follow FAA mappings, but has been wrong sometimes, or considers other hazards not explicitly restricted by FAA.

LAANC authorization and DJI geofencing unlock are completely separate. LAANC is to be legal with FAA. Unlock is so you can actually fly.

You obviously have to unlock with Go/Fly on SC, but you can run Airmap or Kittyhawk on any mobile device, not just one being used to control your AC.

Thats why I wasn't quite clear why you asked getting LAANC on the SC.

Reactions: MRomine
LAANC authorization and DJI geofencing unlock are completely separate. LAANC is to be legal with FAA. Unlock is so you can actually fly.

You obviously have to unlock with Go/Fly on SC, but you can run Airmap or Kittyhawk on any mobile device, not just one being used to control your AC.

Thats why I wasn't quite clear why you asked getting LAANC on the SC.

Yeah I understand that the two are separate. I just wish there was a way that once you got approval using LAANC to load that into the SC so that you can begin flying immediately. To get approval from the DJI system is cumbersome at times and can also be lengthy thus holding up precious work. I wish DJI would instigate the LAANC approval system into the SC. After all it is the FAA that controls the airspace in this county not DJI. With the DJI geofencing system I feel like a foreign corporation is controlling the airspace.

Yeah I understand that the two are separate. I just wish there was a way that once you got approval using LAANC to load that into the SC so that you can begin flying immediately. To get approval from the DJI system is cumbersome at times and can also be lengthy thus holding up precious work. I wish DJI would instigate the LAANC approval system into the SC. After all it is the FAA that controls the airspace in this county not DJI. With the DJI geofencing system I feel like a foreign corporation is controlling the airspace.
I'm trackin' wit ya, brother!

I found a video on the web... that allows you to add playstore to the smart controller.... since I have to SCs I tried one...and it worked and I was able to download and install Aloft on the Smart Controller. Since everything worked out fine with first SC (Mini2 and Air 2S) I did my second SC (M2P) and it worked fine as well. I have around 10 hours on the (Recreational) SC and 4 Hours on the (Part 107) SC with no crashes on either controller.

I have since added Air Data to both SCs.

I found a video on the web... that allows you to add playstore to the smart controller.... since I have to SCs I tried one...and it worked and I was able to download and install Aloft on the Smart Controller. Since everything worked out fine with first SC (Mini2 and Air 2S) I did my second SC (M2P) and it worked fine as well. I have around 10 hours on the (Recreational) SC and 4 Hours on the (Part 107) SC with no crashes on either controller.

You still need an Internet connection to access real time data. I simply use smartphone to check prior to launching Mavic 2 Pro with SC.

Care to share the link to that video? On YouTube?

You still need an Internet connection to access real time data. I simply use smartphone to check prior to launching Mavic 2

You still need an Internet connection to access real time data. I simply use smartphone to check prior to launching Mavic 2 Pro with SC.
Yes, that is true... I carry a Hotspot with me so SC has internet via wifi (assuming it's available at the flight location) but you can also use hot spot in your phone. I like having all my flight stuff in one place... on the SC. I realize that I am not eliminating the phone. But all my apps are in one place and I personally find that convenient.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petravka