DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Using Zoom conferencing with DJI Smart Controller [works, sorta!]

David Dennis

Reactions
West Palm Beach, Florida & Platanillo Costa Rica
(I started this as a question, but I seem to have found a workaround to make it function. I figure this might save others a bit of trouble so I am sharing my experience.)

I have a DJI Mavic 2 Pro and the Smart Controller.

I installed Zoom from the Google Play store (the agony of getting the Google Play Store working is best left as an exercise for the reader, but once loaded it appears to function as expected). It's worth noting that there are a lot of phony zoom apps and they pretty much hide the real one. To download Zoom, go to the Zoom web site and use their download link for the app.

I was excited to see that Zoom would let you share the screen with the stream. That is, I could supposedly send what was on the screen to the Zoom conference, so I could show the world (or at least my Zoom conference) the flight. When I turned on my Mavic and connected it to the controller, and set in zoom to share the screen, it worked and I was thrilled!

But when I switched back to DJI Go to fly the drone, it didn't work. The drone would fly but the image coming from Zoom was still the initial image before I started flying.

What it looks like is that you can only run one app at a time on the Controller and so this will not work.

However, what you can do is fly the drone using the physical controls, with the app running in the background, and zoom in front. Then you can click on the thumbnail image of your flight to enlarge it to full screen, and you get the image of the app, which is transmitted to your contacts. The only problem is that you can't use the controls of the app, and it is a bit laggy. Best practices would be to start DJI Go, begin video recording and switch to the Zoom app for the main act. But precise flying is going to be difficult due to the lag, so watch out, leave the automated assistants on and have fun!

Because DJI GO is not really operational, the video feed from the drone does not get saved and you just get a blank screen while you are doing this. I assume, but have not checked, that the video saved in the drone's SD card is good.

Of course you can use this information at your own risk and I cannot be responsible if you destroy your drone in the process of making it work :(.

If there is a way to run both Zoom and DJI Go at the same time so I could use Go's features while transmitting in the background, I would love to hear it.

Hope this helps someone and was of interest.

David

(I started this as a question, but I seem to have found a workaround to make it function. I figure this might save others a bit of trouble so I am sharing my experience.)

I have a DJI Mavic 2 Pro and the Smart Controller.

I installed Zoom from the Google Play store (the agony of getting the Google Play Store working is best left as an exercise for the reader, but once loaded it appears to function as expected). It's worth noting that there are a lot of phony zoom apps and they pretty much hide the real one. To download Zoom, go to the Zoom web site and use their download link for the app.

I was excited to see that Zoom would let you share the screen with the stream. That is, I could supposedly send what was on the screen to the Zoom conference, so I could show the world (or at least my Zoom conference) the flight. When I turned on my Mavic and connected it to the controller, and set in zoom to share the screen, it worked and I was thrilled!

But when I switched back to DJI Go to fly the drone, it didn't work. The drone would fly but the image coming from Zoom was still the initial image before I started flying.

What it looks like is that you can only run one app at a time on the Controller and so this will not work.

However, what you can do is fly the drone using the physical controls, with the app running in the background, and zoom in front. Then you can click on the thumbnail image of your flight to enlarge it to full screen, and you get the image of the app, which is transmitted to your contacts. The only problem is that you can't use the controls of the app, and it is a bit laggy. Best practices would be to start DJI Go, begin video recording and switch to the Zoom app for the main act. But precise flying is going to be difficult due to the lag, so watch out, leave the automated assistants on and have fun!

Because DJI GO is not really operational, the video feed from the drone does not get saved and you just get a blank screen while you are doing this. I assume, but have not checked, that the video saved in the drone's SD card is good.

Of course you can use this information at your own risk and I cannot be responsible if you destroy your drone in the process of making it work :(.

If there is a way to run both Zoom and DJI Go at the same time so I could use Go's features while transmitting in the background, I would love to hear it.

Hope this helps someone and was of interest.

David
Wondering if a second controller could operate the drone controls with the SC as the video control only? Or vice versatile?

After some use, I have figured it out. When you have the Zoom meeting going, you need to click on the "Share" selection at the bottom. In that, scroll to the share screen. This will then make a green line border around the screen. From there you can then go back to the control screen and it will share this with the meeting. Have fun!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest