DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Variable ND Filter Polarization Effect

Diegus011

Reactions
I own several of the Polar Pro ND filters, but recently picked up a Freewell Variable ND Neutral Density filter set, hoping to simplify my setup and not have to switch filters so often. Filters appear to be well built, and an excellent price point, but the variable ND filter basically works by overlapping two linear polarizers. This introduces polarization onto the images, which for a wide angle camera lens, like the one in the Mavic 2 Pro, causes different degrees of polarization throughout the frame. This is extremely unappealing to my photographer-purist side. I have included an image capture where this is effect is obvious. The left side of the sky is substantially darker, since that part of the sky was closer to the 90 degrees to the sun position (this is the area of strongest polarization). For some, this may not be a problem, or it may actually be exactly what you are looking for, but it is definitely something to be aware of after spending so much on a great flying camera, only to have your shots potentially ruined by polarization.

Polarizer-Effect.jpg

I know some here use them and I mean no offense to any of you, but I just say no to the VND filters due to all the reports of low image quality, always, whether compared to normal ND filters or not. I don't use low-end filters on my other cameras either.

And while I have several ND + CP filters (not variable) for the drones, I sometimes ask "just how neutral is it, if I'm also applying polarization, which can affect image colors and contrast?" (An ND filter without any other filtering does nothing more than reduce light, equally across the spectrum and even wide-angle field of vision, hopefully without any change to anything else, especially color and contrast.)

In land photography, I stopped using CP filter with wide-angle lenses all together, but I still use ND filters on all of them.

Chris

Reactions: Prismatic
I know some here use them and I mean no offense to any of you, but I just say no to the VND filters due to all the reports of low image quality, always, whether compared to normal ND filters or not. I don't use low-end filters on my other cameras either.

And while I have several ND + CP filters (not variable) for the drones, I sometimes ask "just how neutral is it, if I'm also applying polarization, which can affect image colors and contrast?" (An ND filter without any other filtering does nothing more than reduce light, equally across the spectrum and even wide-angle field of vision, hopefully without any change to anything else, especially color and contrast.)

In land photography, I stopped using CP filter with wide-angle lenses all together, but I still use ND filters on all of them.

Chris
I likewise have found NDCP filters can create unnecessary difficulties, both in video and still images.

It's easy and far more effective to apply digital manipulation to get a nearly identical--and uniform!--result.

I will use one, sometimes, to penetrate the surface glare of water, and can imagine other special applications.

From a photography point of view...The type of glass used in filters can and will make a difference. Better glass = $$$.
Yup. I have nothing in my 4x5 kit but Symmars, Rodenstocks, and Nikkors. I first learned the vexing trouble with polarized filters as a large format photographer.

Last edited:
Thanks for the post on the variable ND.
Plenty of reports of them being 'clean', but guess it depends on the shot/conditions etc.
I've been of the notion that no way can they be as good as a traditional ND.
I usually just keep my ND 8 on most of the time anyways.
Your post helps confirm my decision to steer-clear of the variable ND.

Reactions: pelagic_one
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest