DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Vehicle roof mount antenna?

RamItOne

Reactions
Hey guys, first off no intention of flying while in a moving vehicle.
What I'm hoping to find is an antenna mount I could put on the roof (magnet or whatever) that I could run a cable from to the mavic controller while I'm in the cab.

Any helpful thoughts would be appreciated

I would be a lot more concerned about the RC side - have you looked into that? There are mods available that allow you to connect a different antenna (or a cable) but they require a decent amount of DIY tinkering...

If anyone finds a good solution I'm interested in this also... Looks like most of the range enhancing antennas that requ8re you to take apart the controller and install connectors to mount the antenna are directional, no good for a vehicle mount since you'd be forced to fly in one direction or try and reposition your vehicle constantly. I guess the trick is to find a 2.4ghz and a 5ghz antenna that can be connected to a cable, which, probably would need to be as short as possible for the least signal loss. Maybe a dual band Wi-Fi router high gain type? Could be a cool setup if one is setup correct I'd think.

I use one of these readily available range extender antenna / no amp, 20170811_182027 — Postimage.org

Seems to me if you do a controller mod ( which is required to install extended range antennas, relatively easy ) and could find some 2 mmcx to rp-sma female cables that were long enough you could modify the antenna mount add some suction cups to hold it to the roof of the car, ( would not recommend using magnets they may interfere with signal) the CP signal will allow you to fly in any direction if they were pointing straight up, the trick is find the right cables long enough to reach out the window to the roof ?? Never seen them that long, maybe a custom make

This is the antenna I use mine is not the "Boosted" version, it's much cheaper without the Amplifiers and gives me more range than I will ever use.

FPVLR Advanced Circular Antenna Kit for Phantom 4 (Boosted) They have them for the Mavic as well

I use one of these readily available range extender antenna / no amp, 20170811_182027 — Postimage.org

Seems to me if you do a controller mod ( which is required to install extended range antennas, relatively easy ) and could find some 2 mmcx to rp-sma female cables that were long enough you could modify the antenna mount add some suction cups to hold it to the roof of the car, ( would not recommend using magnets they may interfere with signal) the CP signal will allow you to fly in any direction if they were pointing straight up, the trick is find the right cables long enough to reach out the window to the roof ?? Never seen them that long, maybe a custom make

This is the antenna I use mine is not the "Boosted" version, it's much cheaper without the Amplifiers and gives me more range than I will ever use.

FPVLR Advanced Circular Antenna Kit for Phantom 4 (Boosted) They have them for the Mavic as well

Maybe I'll just skip the roof mount and just add the better antenna to the remote. I fly through woods, neighborhoods, cell phone tower infested WiFi infested areas sometimes and would be nice to be able to drop down a bit lower at the further distances to get better videos. Unless I can find some long cables. At least if I could, once the normal antenna mod is done, adding extension cables is the easy part.

Maybe I'll just skip the roof mount and just add the better antenna to the remote. I fly through woods, neighborhoods, cell phone tower infested WiFi infested areas sometimes and would be nice to be able to drop down a bit lower at the further distances to get better videos. Unless I can find some long cables. At least if I could, once the normal antenna mod is done, adding extension cables is the easy part.
I've gone out over 2 miles sat in car with heater on.

Convertable???

Good idea, but unfortunately for us here in south Louisiana in the summer, its 95+ degrees, 100% humidity and a heat index of 115. Gotta keep them windows closed and the AC on. Can't wait till the fall!

Convertable???

Here is the weather right now where I live, check out the heat index "feels like" OMG! "Luckily" it is only 71% humidity right now and not 100%! And the temperature's still going up, now it says feels like 128.

upload_2017-8-17_13-49-27.png

Last edited:

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
turtle27mike