DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Vertical panorama stitching

Helgegustav

Reactions
Hello

I dont own a drone yet, but Im considering getting a Mavic Air.

One feature on the Mavic Pro that I liked was the portrait mode, it seems awesome to use for panoramas. I was disappointed when it wasnt featured on the Air.

I noticed though that there is a vertical panorama mode, which led me to wonder if its possible to shoot multiple vertical panoramas and then stitch them together to create a horizontal panorama in photoshop or lightroom. Can anyone confirm or maybe try this?

Also, is bracketing available in the vertical panorama mode?

Last edited:
unfortunalty no bracketing isnt available in pano mode and theres no settings in pano mode to change things like amount of shots rows etc, now litchi does allow all that, u can bracket every shot and if u desired have a very huge file, say u chose 3 rows 8 photos per row and bracket all of those would be huge but very detailed, i did this by accident, ii had it in bracket 3 shots then went to pano mode and to my surprise all the shots were bracketed resulting in lots of work haha, u would have to edit each set individual then stitch the set of finished brackets, lots of work but if the image was worth it i am sure would look stuning, unfortunaly my poor ol mac air isnt up to the task of editing huge files like that, it already struggles with reg pano mode hahah

unfortunalty no bracketing isnt available in pano mode and theres no settings in pano mode to change things like amount of shots rows etc, now litchi does allow all that, u can bracket every shot and if u desired have a very huge file, say u chose 3 rows 8 photos per row and bracket all of those would be huge but very detailed, i did this by accident, ii had it in bracket 3 shots then went to pano mode and to my surprise all the shots were bracketed resulting in lots of work haha, u would have to edit each set individual then stitch the set of finished brackets, lots of work but if the image was worth it i am sure would look stuning, unfortunaly my poor ol mac air isnt up to the task of editing huge files like that, it already struggles with reg pano mode hahah

So you mean that the app automatically took 3 rows with 8 photos in each row? And bracketed them? Wow haha, thats total of 72 photos. Understandable that your MBA struggles.

However, do you think the DJI app vertical panorama feature would be possible to use to create a ultra highres photo?
For example, shoot 3 vertical panoramas and then stitch them together horizontally in Lightroom.

So you mean that the app automatically took 3 rows with 8 photos in each row? And bracketed them? Wow haha, thats total of 72 photos. Understandable that your MBA struggles.

However, do you think the DJI app vertical panorama feature would be possible to use to create a ultra highres photo?
For example, shoot 3 vertical panoramas and then stitch them together horizontally in Lightroom.

yes litchi allows brackets per photo in pano mode, u can choose 5 brackets to if u like so even bigger file, unfortunatly the dji app give u 0 flexibility for settings, the best feature in litchi pano is u can set the time between shots, in dji u cannot and it tries to go to fast and sometimes doesnt focus proper or gives u a wrong exosure, in litchi i set mine to .5 seconds so it can focus and achieve proper exposure, litchi takes a long time to make the pano but its far more flexible, in dji if u went into bracket mode and portait mode u could take a series of shots and pan the drone your self and hope they stich properly, that would give u a high res image, but the app itself wont do it unfortuanly.

i am heading out soon i am going to try what i said in the dji app, i will shoot in prtait mode and bracket x3 and take 3 photos panning slightly each one and see if lightroom will stich them,

Reactions: aliveathome
i am heading out soon i am going to try what i said in the dji app, i will shoot in prtait mode and bracket x3 and take 3 photos panning slightly each one and see if lightroom will stich them,

I know for sure that the portrait mode works for shooting manual panoramas on the Mavic Pro, but I dont know if the vertical panorama mode on the Mavic Air will work the same way!

We dont have litchi yet soo??

The vertical panorama mode on the Mavic Air takes 3 images. In my opinion the drone doesn't do a very good job of stitching them together -- the picture looks like it has a lot of barrel distortion.
However, the 3 images can be combined in lightroom very easily and give a great result.
- You select the 3 pictures
- Right click on one of them and choose "Photomerge -> Panorama -> Perspective projection"

Here is a vertical panorama of the Mission in San Rafael, California (Town Motto: "The City With a Mission"). This place is impossible to photograph well without a drone because either you stand right in front of it and shoot way up, or you stand away from it, in the middle of street, and have trees in your way.

Here is the image straight out of the drone:
DJI_0048.JPG

And here is the image stitched together with Lightroom:

mission vertical pano (1 of 1).jpg

Reactions: tiparoch
The vertical panorama mode on the Mavic Air takes 3 images. In my opinion the drone doesn't do a very good job of stitching them together -- the picture looks like it has a lot of barrel distortion.
However, the 3 images can be combined in lightroom very easily and give a great result.
- Right click on one of them and choose "Photomerge -> Panorama -> Perspective projection"

Here is a vertical panorama of the Mission in San Rafael, California (Town Motto: "The City With a Mission"). This place is impossible to photograph well without a drone because either you stand right in front of it and shoot way up, or you stand away from it, in the middle of street, and have trees in your way.

View attachment 32042

View attachment 32043
Looks great! Makes me want to get one.

View attachment 32042

View attachment 32043

Yeah looks great!

But can you shoot 3 of those panoramas while manually moving the camera between takes, and then combine and stitch the 3 vertical panoramas into a horizontal panorama? In e.g lightroom. So the result consists of a total of 9 photos.

yes u totally can, before the update in dji go that allowed pano thats how people did it, all manually, if panos are your thing and yes they are kinda my thing, i think litchi may be your choice, it offers so much flexibility on panos, dgji go does as well offers 4 dieeerent modes but 0 settings within those modes, ltuchi offers much more, i have been experimenting with all the different settigs in litchi pano and once u find the ones u like its pretty awsome .this wasnt in vertical and its very compressed for fb but the orignal is huge and detailed. DJI_0014.jpeg

yes u totally can, before the update in dji go that allowed pano thats how people did it, all manually, if panos are your thing and yes they are kinda my thing, i think litchi may be your choice, it offers so much flexibility on panos, dgji go does as well offers 4 dieeerent modes but 0 settings within those modes, ltuchi offers much more, i have been experimenting with all the different settigs in litchi pano and once u find the ones u like its pretty awsome .this wasnt in vertical and its very compressed for fb but the orignal is huge and detailed. View attachment 32098

Wow thats awesome, thank you. Really helps me decide which one to get. Maybe the lack of portrait mode is not that big of a deal :) cheers!

View attachment 32042

View attachment 32043

This picture is wonderful and is exactly the reason why I’m interrested in the Mavic Air. The stitching options in Lightroom seem to be able to ‘glue’ the images from the Mavic Air and you could fight the barrel distorsion with the lens/perspective menu. Can you just confirm you were using Raw/unprocessed images from the drone ?
Thanks and again, great shot !

View attachment 32042

View attachment 32043

Great. Thank you for sharing that. Have been perplexed with lack or portrait mode.

This picture is wonderful and is exactly the reason why I’m interrested in the Mavic Air. The stitching options in Lightroom seem to be able to ‘glue’ the images from the Mavic Air and you could fight the barrel distorsion with the lens/perspective menu. Can you just confirm you were using Raw/unprocessed images from the drone ?
Thanks and again, great shot !

Adobe products like Lightroom don't yet have a lens profile for the Mavic Air camera. So I'm using the drone's jpgs right now, and getting good results.
I expect them to add a Mavic Air profile fairly soon (a few weeks?) and when they do I have the DNGs if I want to redo the panoramas.

I am not sure I understand : The DNG file format is Adobe proprietary format to avoid specific RAW files from different camera manufacturer. Do you mean you can open the DNG but you expect Adobe produces a specific lens correction processor for the MA DNG files ?
Or do you have difficulties in opening the DNG file from the MA ?
Sorry to bother you with my questions...

I am not sure I understand : The DNG file format is Adobe proprietary format to avoid specific RAW files from different camera manufacturer. Do you mean you can open the DNG but you expect Adobe produces a specific lens correction processor for the MA DNG files ?
Or do you have difficulties in opening the DNG file from the MA ?
Sorry to bother you with my questions...
You are correct. Lightroom can open and see the DNG file. But the lens has a lot of complex distortion and the DNGs will not be suitable for stitching until Adobe adds a profile for the Mavic Air lens to remove the distortion in each image.
You can work with the JPGs now, because the drone's JPG engine removes the lens distortion from each image.

Reactions: MustangPhil

View attachment 32042

View attachment 32043

Did you find a way to lock the expsure? I have not shot many with M Air yet. Playing around the Spark pano mode, ofren differeng exposures so various pics dont match well. Any thoughts?

Did you find a way to lock the expsure? I have not shot many with M Air yet. Playing around the Spark pano mode, ofren differeng exposures so various pics dont match well. Any thoughts?
Exposure is automatically locked during the automatic pano shooting process. Just point the drone in the brighter or darker direction when you begin the pano to get darker or lighter panorama respectively.

Reactions: tiparoch
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair