DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

VERY ANNOYING New Message to Remove AdBlocker

PhantomFandom

Reactions
Hello,

I see a brand new pop-up message as of today that says " Please support us by disabling AdBlocker or upgrading to a premium subscription for less than 8 cents per day. ". I understand that it is a valid request from the forums, but to have it pop up with every page refresh and every new page is just a bit ridiculous. It is making the site unusable.

Yes I realize that the site supports itself on ad revenue but:
  • My ad blocker blocks only the most annoying pop-up ads. Plenty of ads that are inline, in the banner, and in the right margin are still there on every page.
  • This new message is so intrusive that it makes one not want to use the site at all.
  • Perhaps the message can just come up once and then go away? Please?

?‍♂️ Message Clackey about it no need in starting yet another thread
on it.
Overlook it. I don’t see it but I’m a premium member. Maybe I don’t
because I’m staff.
Any other premium members having this issue. If so contact Clackey
in a message and he will address it.
Also making the site unusable I don’t think is correct. You started
this thread.?

Message Clackey about it no need in starting yet another thread
on it.
I saw no other thread on this topic. This is the first one, as far as I can see.

Overlook it. I don’t see it but I’m a premium member. Maybe I don’t
because I’m staff.
Yes the message specifically asks you to become a premium member so it only applies to those who aren't. It is pretty hard to overlook it since it grays out the entire screen when it comes up and prevents you from reading or doing anything else until you X it out.

Also making the site unusable I don’t think is correct. You started
this thread.?
Yes I started this thread, and it required having to click through that message in order to do so. Even clicking on the notification for your reply cause the message to come up again and your response was not readable until I once again hit the X to get rid of the message. It is very intrusive.

Reactions: E90RAW and Ted Maul
The message did make the site unusable for me as I couldn't get past the message until I disabled the adblocker but I'm fine with not being able to use the site with the adblocker enabled if I'm not paying (I thought I had it disabled for the site already). The ads not intrusive and mostly relevant unlike many other sites which are now getting to the point the ads make the site unusable including forums some of which have been injecting ads between posts and even into posts.

I saw no other thread on this topic. This is the first one, as far as I can see.

Yes the message specifically asks you to become a premium member so it only applies to those who aren't. It is pretty hard to overlook it since it grays out the entire screen when it comes up and prevents you from reading or doing anything else until you X it out.

Yes I started this thread, and it required having to click through that message in order to do so. Even clicking on the notification for your reply cause the message to come up again and your response was not readable until I once again hit the X to get rid of the message. It is very intrusive.
Then do as i said message the owner here Clackey.
And yes you are correct it was threads on the forum sending out messages on the Air2 and was something else. My apologies.
Now maybe being somethings have been added he might need to adjust something. I know he just added some things.
Look under your name. That’s new.
B43D3EBD-4D3B-4AFF-A575-553B1712E893.jpeg
Here I will flag him so he can address it. @clackey.

Reactions: E90RAW
Just came today to forum and got the same warning....the ads are horrible!!
My ad blocker works good for me especially on an older laptop
the forum page is just plastered with adds can see most threads
if i turn it back on...cant post or read threads...come on please dont do this

Ok..till Clackey logs on and addresses this it’s no need in repetitive post so it is temporarily closed till he does.

Added, just sent him a message so he should be on shortly and no need for the :mad: hayc59

Last edited:
  • Angry
Reactions: hayc59
Yes, that was the goal. Not sure why it isn't working as it was supposed to. Looking into that now.
That may have been the goal but that is not how it ended up. Thank you for accepting the constructive feedback and looking into this.

Hello,

I see a brand new pop-up message as of today that says " Please support us by disabling AdBlocker or upgrading to a premium subscription for less than 8 cents per day. ". I understand that it is a valid request from the forums, but to have it pop up with every page refresh and every new page is just a bit ridiculous. It is making the site unusable.

Yes I realize that the site supports itself on ad revenue but:
  • My ad blocker blocks only the most annoying pop-up ads. Plenty of ads that are inline, in the banner, and in the right margin are still there on every page.
  • This new message is so intrusive that it makes one not want to use the site at all.
  • Perhaps the message can just come up once and then go away? Please?
I don't get the add blocker when I come here. I have a paid subscription so maybe that's why.
The little $$$ to join is WELL WORTH all the good information I gained here about flying my drone & other things. Sure kept me from having any accidents so far.

At around 20 posts answered and several hundred read I realized the value of this site. The same is true with an upgrade on AIRDATA. I believe the information I receive from here has saved me from losing one of my drones many times. In fact it continues to do so. The thought there is a place I might get (free) help if I did is also comforting. I find it difficult to understand folks who willingly spend hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars on hardware but find a few bucks for training and support beyond their "budget". These things do not run themselves and they remain of very high quality only through constant attention. Without this site I would not have had 20% of the enjoyment I have gotten out of flying drones and exploring video/photo editing. I've spent more than a premium membership costs on one dinner and a day later had nothing but indigestion to show for it. Don't contribute to get rid of the ads, contribute to insure this resource stays available to us all.

I'm Premium Member and do not see this popup. FYI
Well I see pop ups occasionally and just X them out but think
the issue that started this thread has been fixed.

Reactions: Gindra
At around 20 posts answered and several hundred read I realized the value of this site.
I find it difficult to understand folks who willingly spend hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars on hardware but find a few bucks for training and support beyond their "budget".
Yes of course this site has value, or otherwise why would we be here? It is a great source of information, knowledge, and experience.

It has nothing to do with being "beyond the budget". It's just that the site should not pose such an annoying impediment to those who are not premium members. Since you did not see how it worked, it is a bit difficult to understand how incredibly annoying it was. It truly would drive away people.

Also remember that some of us (and I hope I fall in this category) constantly contribute to this forum and help others. We do not get paid for doing so. It takes time to answer questions every day. Should those who contribute so much to the forum feel the need to pay for that privilege?

Reactions: Scubadiver1944
Yes of course this site has value, or otherwise why would we be here? It is a great source of information, knowledge, and experience.

It has nothing to do with being "beyond the budget". It's just that the site should not pose such an annoying impediment to those who are not premium members. Since you did not see how it worked, it is a bit difficult to understand how incredibly annoying it was. It truly would drive away people.

Also remember that some of us (and I hope I fall in this category) constantly contribute to this forum and help others. We do not get paid for doing so. It takes time to answer questions every day. Should those who contribute so much to the forum feel the need to pay for that privilege?
But don't you all gain useful information from other pilots? Why not just pony up the $30 dollars and figure over the years you have easily saved that much by not crashing your drone with the information you received and put into practice? Just my 2 cents!

Reactions: clackey
Just to clarify, the message was only visible to those who had installed an AdBlocking software on their browser to avoid viewing ads. Those ads help pay for the costs to keep the site going. The suggestion in the message was to either disable the ad blocker or spend 8 cents a day for the premium update to remove ads.

Just to clarify, the message was only visible to those who had installed an AdBlocking software on their browser to avoid viewing ads
Also just to further clarify, AdBlocker Plus (which is what I use for all sites I browse) is set to allow all ads that do not interfere with reading the content of the site being visited. This is a happy medium that removes the annoying pop-up, full screen, or otherwise very intrusive ads while leaving all others. This allows all of the margin and banner ads on this site to display without issue. So it is not done to simply avoid viewing ads.
The suggestion in the message was to either disable the ad blocker or spend 8 cents a day for the premium update to remove ads.
Totally acceptable and reasonable request, IF the popup itself did not make the site completely unusable. I have not seen any official message from you, but has the issue been resolved now?

It has been disabled until we find another solution. It was not intended to make the site unusable but it appears the addon didn’t work as intended.

After testing further it appears that adblocker plus does remove network ads (Google Adsense etc) but doesnt remove direct vendor ad placements.

C

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mini2boost