DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Very First Flights - Ever. So many questions...

Shortstuff

Reactions
So far so good. Watched dozens of vids, read hundreds of threads and got my Mini 2 a few days ago. First day spent learning assembly, charged batteries and controller, d/l DJI Fly app and reading everything I could find. Took my maiden flight yesterday very slowly step by step and again today several times up to max elevation (393 ft) and some distance away on my property. Around the house, up and over and getting the feel of it all.

I'm in my mid-60's and realizing that my iPhone 10s is a little difficult to see without my magnifiers. So I'm wondering if an iPad or something like that might be better for me. Can anyone recommend something that will work with my Mini 2 to provide me a larger screen area? Something I could also use to download and store my vids and pics on, go online with and provide as many features as possible (borderline laptop). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I just retired my mini iPad 4 to use the Tripltek pro. So far so good, the only issue is screen quality. Great for docs and pictures a bit grainy for video. I have also used the Samsung A30, still my standby devices. Hope this helps.
Regards

Reactions: Shortstuff
There are many resources in this forum. Don't forget to search for topics recently discussed ad nauseum. There is also a list of phones & tablets others have or are using. It's exciting to hear about your new adventure, vicariously. Your cautiousness will be your reward.

I too am in my mid 60's and yes I need my glasses to see the screen :( I use my iphone xs max most of the time but also use an ipad mini 5, you will need a hook type adaptor to fit the mini to the controller but the supplied lead works fine.

The DJI fly app can be power hungry so early ipads will not function very well if at all, the least you need is a 4 but even these can struggle at times so a 5 is the way to go for now.

Hello Shortstuff:

Congratulations on your first flights. It sounds like you are off to a good start - taking things slow and building some basic flight skills.

I fly two drones - a Mini 2 and a Mavic Air 2. I use an iPhone 11 Pro and an iPad 12.9 3rd generation as monitors depending on how portable I need to be. When doing landscape photography from a vehicle based location I greatly prefer the iPad 12.9 - the large detailed image area really helps in composition and detail. I usually use it for morning or afternoon evening flights as it’s large screen is harder to shade from the sun, but since I’m interested in landscape images mid day is a poor time for good light anyway.

Your desire to “double up” - have the monitor provide editing and other other features could be well supported by a larger iPad as long as you’re willing to make the mobility and portability sacrifices. With larger tablets the issue is often how to mount the tablet to the controller with sufficient safety and stiffness. There are many threads on our forum about that so as Netfolks2000 suggests you might search for tablet mounting.

Howard

Greetings!

So far so good. Watched dozens of vids, read hundreds of threads and got my Mini 2 a few days ago. First day spent learning assembly, charged batteries and controller, d/l DJI Fly app and reading everything I could find. Took my maiden flight yesterday very slowly step by step and again today several times up to max elevation (393 ft) and some distance away on my property. Around the house, up and over and getting the feel of it all.

I'm in my mid-60's and realizing that my iPhone 10s is a little difficult to see without my magnifiers. So I'm wondering if an iPad or something like that might be better for me. Can anyone recommend something that will work with my Mini 2 to provide me a larger screen area? Something I could also use to download and store my vids and pics on, go online with and provide as many features as possible (borderline laptop). Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I've been using an iPad (I am going to be 83 in September) for 3 years and I looove it!. It is 9.5 inches, with a nice big screen. It is still necessary to run into the shade of a tree or under a big brimmed hat in bright sun which I have a to of here in Miami), for the glare or reflection. I use the Skyreat holder. You will have to shop around for a holler for the drone you own but I am sure it is available. Here are some photos iPad in Skyreat Holder-rear view.jpgiPad in Skyreat Holder.jpgiPad on Skyreat Stand.jpgiPad-front.jpgiPad-SkyreatHolder-sideView.jpg of my set up.

I vote for the iPad mini 5 as well. I am also in my 60’s (barely) and I find it to be a great trade off between readability and portability. I would recommend getting the model with the most memory because drone videos are large and will eat up the available storage pretty quick. I use the Mavemount holder, rock solid.

You're doing everything right so far slow and cautious at first. I use and swear by an Ipad mini 5 with 4-G service for Google map navigation. There are many attachments for Ipad to mount to controller and flying becomes much easier with a larger screen. The Ipad mini 5 is just the right size.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
catalinbbc27