DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Very informative video on the lawsuit against the FAA on remote ID. You decide ?

I know I am going to get flack for this ...and maybe I don't know enough about RID.....but it sounds to me that other than the ID being available to any one who want to seek it out...if you are a responsible drone flyer...there really is nothing else bad about it...if that part were eliminated ...I can't see any reason to object to it...I started to watch the video, but it got off to too much of a slow start for me ...and is too long to keep my interest...I am not looking for arguments with any one...but I am curious why some are so opposed to it...it seems to me that if you are flying responsibly....there is no reason to object to it

Well, I can sorta see the argument.... but we are talking 3D (air), not 2D (ground) and I think that has some significant bearing on overall public safety. I see the privacy thing, but we, the public can already see aircraft movements with any number of available apps.

Why could remote ID only be required on aircraft within restricted/heavily used airspace or say, over 300 feet AGL. (theoretically a 200 foot separation from other aircraft).

In general I'm OK with remote ID, but I do not want my aircraft being able to be identified by the general public (or my piloting location). I'm OK with the data stored anonymously for X period of time.

I do a lot of flights literally in the middle of nowhere in the southwestern desert areas. Remote ID it completely ridiculous for some situations. In or around metropolitan areas, sure, good idea.

it got off to too much of a slow start for me ...and is too long to keep my interest...
That's every one of these livestream/podcast style videos. 10 minutes of worthwhile content and 1-2 hours of filler.

I'm going to ignore any RID requirement. I'll do my own thing and, if I get pinched, I'll drop the hobby.

Reactions: mavictk and Sully53
Taking a second glance at the OP it seems as though the video was made just to stir the pot....look at the title
"FAA sued for Illegal Remote ID"...it's not illegal....at this time
That’s what most of these videos do. I don’t even bother to click on them. What’s going to happen is going to happen. We will deal with
It just like we have everything else they have threw at us.

For personal reasons, I'm not going to watch the video. And at times I regret my tenure with Drone U. This is one of them.

But the RDQ suit will not go anywhere. I'm friend with some of the people who are part of the suit, and agree with a very small part of it. But I'm disappointed in their fighting this so vehemently.

And suppose it does prevail and RID is thrown out? That means back to the drawing board. And we'll likely end up with an even worse RID system, and additional years of confusion and cause the industry to delay innovation even longer that it is now.

As previously reported, the ACLU, on 2/9/21, issued its position on Remote ID, and the ACLU is generally ok with it. I agree with that position. For one thing, I want to be able to legally fly BVLOS, and as the ACLU puts it, “a regulatory framework permitting routine BVLOS flights was never going to happen … until the law enforcement and national security communities are comfortable with their ability to identify and track” drones.

With regard to broadcast transponders that would broadcast their unique ID numbers locally to anyone within range, the ACLU said “We think this is good; the broadcast Remote ID should be sufficient to achieve both the security goal of allowing facilities to identify and deter illegal or hostile drone flights and the privacy goal of empowering individuals to know what aerial cameras may be recording them.”

The ACLU further said: “The FAA is doing a good job in building an infrastructure that will give us the ability to know what “eyes in the sky” are observing our streets, communities, and cities. While details still need to be worked out, the agency’s goal seems to be a system in which anyone can see the “license plate” of nearby drones on their cell phones."

I certainly have some issues concerning the safety of drone pilots and I anxiously await a definitive decision by the courts on these difficult issues.

Thanks for sharing!

I know I am going to get flack for this ...and maybe I don't know enough about RID.....but it sounds to me that other than the ID being available to any one who want to seek it out...if you are a responsible drone flyer...there really is nothing else bad about it...if that part were eliminated ...I can't see any reason to object to it...I started to watch the video, but it got off to too much of a slow start for me ...and is too long to keep my interest...I am not looking for arguments with any one...but I am curious why some are so opposed to it...it seems to me that if you are flying responsibly....there is no reason to object to it
It's just the part that the location of the Pilot can be accessed by anyone. Pilots are protected in airplanes, just by not being on the ground and also by being in secured cockpits. Drone pilots will have no security when flying. There is still significant animosity from the general public toward drone pilots. Some pilots have been confronted with gun toting maniacs. I personally, don't want to feel, I may be approached by a "drone hater" when I am doing something completely legal and innocent. I don't mind the other parts of the remote id, but for EVERYONE to know your location is wrong. Legally though, the whole thing is questionable. I'm also concerned with how much weight and cost these ID modules will add to drones. If you would be against remote ID for cars, you should be against it for drones. Can you imagine if you cut some aggressive driver off and he/she could find out where you lived, just by looking at an app on a phone?

It's just the part that the location of the Pilot can be accessed by anyone. Pilots are protected in airplanes, just by not being on the ground and also by being in secured cockpits. Drone pilots will have no security when flying. There is still significant animosity from the general public toward drone pilots. Some pilots have been confronted with gun toting maniacs. I personally, don't want to feel, I may be approached by a "drone hater" when I am doing something completely legal and innocent. I don't mind the other parts of the remote id, but for EVERYONE to know your location is wrong. Legally though, the whole thing is questionable. I'm also concerned with how much weight and cost these ID modules will add to drones. If you would be against remote ID for cars, you should be against it for drones. Can you imagine if you cut some aggressive driver off and he/she could find out where you lived, just by looking at an app on a phone?
I don't have the knowledge that alot here have when it comes to remote ID. and all the pros and cons that it brings. But I do not want to be bothered by no one when I'm flying commercially or recreationally or worse get hurt or dead.

I think the main issue is protecting the pilots from all these issues. If they can set it where it shows a 3 mile radius without pinpointing where the pilot is I would not have too much of an issue with it. Just my two cents

Reactions: jaswalt
The mention DATA LOGGING. Everything you do will be recorded and archived. This means the FAA will be able to fine you years after you broke a statute. Imagine, if everything in your car was data logged. I guess the only saving face, would be, THEY REALLY DON'T KNOW WHO IS or WAS FLYING at the time of an infraction.

The mention DATA LOGGING. Everything you do will be recorded and archived. This means the FAA will be able to fine you years after you broke a statute. Imagine, if everything in your car was data logged. I guess the only saving face, would be, THEY REALLY DON'T KNOW WHO IS or WAS FLYING at the time of an infraction.
Everything in the new cars is logged. Very easy to get all GPS info from todays cars. Probably don't need to know if you were the one flying. It will log who owns the drone and fine the owner. You could say it was taken by a thief but where is the police report. LOL If they want to get you they will.

Reactions: db4476
Everything in the new cars is logged. Very easy to get all GPS info from todays cars. Probably don't need to know if you were the one flying. It will log who owns the drone and fine the owner. You could say it was taken by a thief but where is the police report. LOL If they want to get you they will.
All Teslas logs are updated through the internet. That's why Tesla when you buy there vehicles they give you free internet.

Imagine how bad it would be if manned aircraft flights were logged¡

As previously reported, the ACLU, on 2/9/21, issued its position on Remote ID, and the ACLU is generally ok with it. I agree with that position. For one thing, I want to be able to legally fly BVLOS, and as the ACLU puts it, “a regulatory framework permitting routine BVLOS flights was never going to happen … until the law enforcement and national security communities are comfortable with their ability to identify and track” drones.

With regard to broadcast transponders that would broadcast their unique ID numbers locally to anyone within range, the ACLU said “We think this is good; the broadcast Remote ID should be sufficient to achieve both the security goal of allowing facilities to identify and deter illegal or hostile drone flights and the privacy goal of empowering individuals to know what aerial cameras may be recording them.”

The ACLU further said: “The FAA is doing a good job in building an infrastructure that will give us the ability to know what “eyes in the sky” are observing our streets, communities, and cities. While details still need to be worked out, the agency’s goal seems to be a system in which anyone can see the “license plate” of nearby drones on their cell phones."

I certainly have some issues concerning the safety of drone pilots and I anxiously await a definitive decision by the courts on these difficult issues.
I'm a hobbyist and fine with it. BUT, The idea of only the government agencies who make laws and have the funding to lobby for the laws get to have drones that can't be tracked!

Reactions: Chip
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada