DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Very noisy 1080@96?

Mange

Reactions
Hello.

I just bought the Mavic and did my first flight yesterday. I was filming enduro and set it to 96 fps to be able to slow it down. I've read around quite a bit and watched some videos on settings and tried the D-log (+1, -1, -1) settings and find that the video is very noisy with flickering going.

Now i did edit using iMovie and it might not be the greatest tool for the job, but i def. didn't think it would look like this seeing other peoples footage on the internet.

I have used iMovies functions for bringing the color back from the flat D-log profile.

Any ideas?

What were shutter speed and iso? Remember a higher frame rate forces a faster shutter speed which may raise ISO...

Then on the Mavic it's well known that anything above 30fps will cause aliasing noise.

What were shutter speed and iso? Remember a higher frame rate forces a faster shutter speed which may raise ISO...

Then on the Mavic it's well known that anything above 30fps will cause aliasing noise.

ISO was set to 200. I messed up a bit with the shutter speed and had it at 1/160 initially and after a while 1/200. I couldn't tell the difference in the videos so I didn't bother sorting out the 1/160 clips. I believe it should be set to 1/200 since my fps is very close to 100 right?

If its normal behaviour i'll just live with it. I am/was more concerned that i f.ed my settings somehow, or if it's something i'm doing post that causes it. It's not nearly as noticeable on YouTube as it is on my computer straight out from iMovie.

Thanks for the reply.

ISO 100/200 makes quite a difference on noise, you really want to use 100 anytime you can. Having 1/200 shutter is not as important there (it would only a barely unnoticeable "look" difference only if very close to a fast subject.

Reactions: Mange
ISO 100/200 makes quite a difference on noise, you really want to use 100 anytime you can. Having 1/200 shutter is not as important there (it would only a barely unnoticeable "look" difference only if very close to a fast subject.

Thanks. I'll pull the ISO down to 100 again and try with a slower shutter if i can't get it to 200. It was overcast weather yesterday with very dark clouds on the horizon so the light wasn't the best, hopefully next time :) Still happy with how the full video came out, and it was so much fun flying around as well so I'm still happy with the drone!

It's best to forget about anything above 30FPS (Use NTSC) unless you really need to.
It's just how it is unfortunately.
I usually used D-Log but on 0/+1/+1 these days.
You almost always need increase contrast and saturation and having them +1 makes the screen image easier to see when recording.

The +1 sharpening is OK when light is flat but looks awful noisy in bright conditions.

Mavic camera is capable of quite good results but there are plenty of pitfalls and the only way to get to grips with it is try a few options in different conditions when it's not that important if things don't look right.

It's best to forget about anything above 30FPS (Use NTSC) unless you really need to.

Ouch :/ I feel like I need high frame rate as often as possible since I'm mainly filming fast paced motorsports which looks absolutely lovely when slowed down :cool:

Finally took the MP up tonight - right before sunset (FINALLY no wind, not TOO cold).
Manual camera settings, but I must have goofed up and hit 96fps. Ahh! I always have it set to 60.

With cloudy skies, the footage I grabbed is kind of grainy.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
erroos