DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Very poor range with MA2

Fleek

Reactions
Had the Mavic Air 2 for over a week & cannot go beyond 800 m before getting weak signal warnings or screen goes blank & AC initiates RTH.

I fly in flat areas over water or woodlands so no wifi interference. Set iPhone on airplane mode. Changed the cable from controller to phone as some said DJI can provide inferior cables. Raised altitude for less physical interference. I do not understand the mechanics of setting transmission to manual so it remains on automatic.

Time to return the drone?

Reactions: Hauptmann
As long as the issue is consistent in at least one different area then it does look like somethings not right with the drone.
Id return it if possible, or at least contact DJI for advice.

Before you return it, try taking your phone off the remote's mount - which is really the antenna - and see if that helps. I seem to recall watching a YouTube video where a fellow was having distance issues with his Air 2, and he discovered that not having his phone in the mount improved his range greatly. I wish I had the link to post the video, but I do not. I use an iPad, and for now, a MavMount, so the actual tablet is displaced from the antenna a bit. Mine goes and goes, farther than I'd ever need...

Before you return it, try taking your phone off the remote's mount - which is really the antenna - and see if that helps. I seem to recall watching a YouTube video where a fellow was having distance issues with his Air 2, and he discovered that not having his phone in the mount improved his range greatly. I wish I had the link to post the video, but I do not. I use an iPad, and for now, a MavMount, so the actual tablet is displaced from the antenna a bit. Mine goes and goes, farther than I'd ever need...
Seems like an odd solution but will try it tomorrow & let you know. Thanks for trying.

I do not have a MA2 (thankfully) but I am watching with interest the threads/videos on it. You seem to have a common problem, here is a video that speaks about the same issues.

Brutally Honest Review MA2

How are you holding the controller in relation to the aircraft? The MA2 has a highly directional antenna. Keep the antenna pointed towards the drone and see what results you get.

Reactions: Hauptmann and J2ps
My reply to OP was not to say one is better than the other, just to point out their problems were being experienced by other owners. However it was interesting to hear of other problems with the new systems.

Separate note- why the heck is the RC so huge compared to the rest of the dji rc's?

In addition, I was shocked to see how large the Air2 is compared to the Mavic (and in turn to the Mavic Air). I have not followed the Air2 much but assumed it was similar in size to the Air1 just with improvements.

Separate note- why the heck is the RC so huge compared to the rest of the dji rc's?
for one thing it's got a bigger battery that I think it needs somewhat because of the ADS-B but mainly it will a charge your phone and the DJI Fly app really does a number on my 6s plus if I forget to set it to charge. Could be my phone or the longer flight times.
It's bigger but I really like it. Real fast to set up, very secure and no antenna's to fiddle with.

no antennas!?! I didnt realize that, i just now had to google up a pic of the rc. I now see the phone is on top. I think in general that is a better layout.

How are you holding the controller in relation to the aircraft? The MA2 has a highly directional antenna. Keep the antenna pointed towards the drone and see what results you get.
Holding the antenna spot on. I did it again today just to double check. Not the problem but thanks for the suggestion.

Holding controller correctly but doesn't help. Thanks for trying.

Has to be hardware related given the stellar connection/range the MA2 has shown on all the videos around.

Have you experienced the same problem at a different location?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maviclake