DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Very secure mount mod for tablets...

replayreb

Reactions
I just bought a Mavic 2 Enterprise Dual and needed a mount for an Nvidia Shield K1 8" tablet but was disappointed in the options available for smaller tablets. I tried several plastic mounts but they weren't very secure. I have a Ulanzi brand metal phone tripod mount but it is too narrow for a small tablet and the company's larger, tablet version is too big for a 8" tablet so I came up with a solution. The Ulanzi phone mount is just two end pieces sliding along guide rods held together by a tightening screw. The screw is 10-24 coarse thread and the rods are 5 mm in diameter so I measured the width of the tablet and determined I needed a 5" long screw and 120 mm long guide rods. I found some 10-24 x 5" machine screws and 5 mm x 120 mm steel rods on Amazon. While I was waiting for those to arrive I thought why not save a little weight so I bought some 5 mm X 200 mm carbon fiber rods I could cut down to 120 mm with a Dremel. Then I thought why not use an Allen hex socket head screw so it would be easier to finger-tighten so I managed to find some on eBay. If you use socket head screws you need to measure your device extra carefully since they are not threaded the entire length. Anyway, all the parts came in today and I took pictures of the various combinations. It is very secure. The carbon fiber rods work just as well as the steel ones but are lighter of course. The Allen head screws are easier to finger-tighten but more expensive and harder to find in longer lengths. Needless to say you need a Mavic controller mount with a tripod screw mounting option such as the PolarPro FlightDeck or MavMount. This can be adapted to fit any size device from the smallest phone to the largest iPad Pro. You could even use a shorter socket head or 10-24 knurled screw and connect it to a threaded rod using a 10-24 coupling nut to make it any length you want. If you do this make sure you buy the older-style Ulanzi ST-02 phone tripod mount that only has the one tripod mounting hole in the bottom and NOT the newer model called the Ulanzi ST-02S that has an additional tripod mounting hole in the side because that version uses fixed guide rods that can't be removed.

20200610_162431.jpg20200610_155812.jpg20200610_155723.jpg20200610_160731.jpg20200610_161229.jpg20200610_161602.jpg20200610_161615.jpg

Last edited:
Mavmount... this is the best mount money can buy. If you order one be sure to select the correct holder, as several are available.

Reactions: replayreb
Mavmount... this is the best mount money can buy. If you order one be sure to select the correct holder, as several are available.

Thanks! I received my Mavmount today. The tablet holder that comes with it is much more secure than the one that comes with the FlightDeck but I still prefer the FlightDeck's ratcheting knobs over the Mavmount's ball and socket.

I did too as you can see from the pictures above but their included plastic spring-loaded tablet mount is not very secure.
Mine has not let me down in over 1000 flights and over a year’s use. I tried DJI’s mount and MavMount... both were not to my liking.

Lol that's a great idea but the only reason I did it is because we installed a tankless water heater in this old house we renovated. I spliced into the hot water line under the house using pex tubing and installed a hot/cold tap. I cut an overflow hole in one end of the stock tank so I just leave the hot water tap on and turn on the garden hose attachment when I need to warm it up.

20200928_145215.jpg

20200926_220722.jpg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54