DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Veteran pilot's suggestion for next drone

AVLJMA

Premium Pilot
Reactions
I have completed 130 flights with the Mini 2. I will always have a Mini 2, or its sub 250 gram successor , as it is perfect for travel.
I have spent time practicing and mastering the RC in both slow flight, fast flight and obstacle avoidance. Happy to report zero accidents.

I am ready to step up to the next drone. What is the next best drone for a slightly experienced pilot. Any suggestions from well seasoned pilots?

It really depends on what you are trying to do. I have a mini and love it. But I also fly the Matrice 100 and Inspire 1 Pro for my own work. At work we fly the M600, M210V2 and the M300. what kind of work are you planning on doing and what is your budget?

It really depends on what you are trying to do. I have a mini and love it. But I also fly the Matrice 100 and Inspire 1 Pro for my own work. At work we fly the M600, M210V2 and the M300. what kind of work are you planning on doing and what is your budget?
I work for the United States Courts. I am planning on doing some case related photography. I've used the Mini 2 on two cases so far with great results. In fact I'm not sure I need anything more robust for that type of work.
Money is not an issue. I put $2K aside for the purchase but want to make sure I am spending it wisely.

Reactions: Bxr532001
I will second the Mavic Air 2. It uses the Fly App which you are familiar with, and the Live View on your phone or tablet is 1080p (HD) versus 720p from the Mini. This makes a big difference regarding the flight experience.

Reactions: ehje
I will second the Mavic Air 2. It uses the Fly App which you are familiar with, and the Live View on your phone or tablet is 1080p (HD) versus 720p from the Mini. This makes a big difference regarding the flight experience.
I overlooked the 1080p vs the 720p. That would really enhance the flying experience. Seems like everybody is advising the Mavic Air 2. I'll looking at that today. Thanks!

I overlooked the 1080p vs the 720p. That would really enhance the flying experience. Seems like everybody is advising the Mavic Air 2. I'll looking at that today. Thanks!
Yes the Mavic Air 2 is hard to beat for the price. Mavic 2 pro is another good one. Does not look like you would need anything for Pro Video like an Inspire series or anything like that.

• Wow
Reactions: RMS001
Hi AVLJMA. We also have the Mini 2. We also have the Phantom 4 Pro Plus - both solely for work. The P4P+ was the first drone that came out that we considered suitable for our professional requirements; we'd ruled out the Inspire 2, mainly because it's too bulky. We've added the Mini 2 especially for assignments when we need to travel ultra light.

I don't see the point of going for a Mavic Air 2 (although it's a good drone, like of lot of DJI's products) because the output is barely different from the Mini 2 when the latter is used to it's best capacity. (There are plenty of comparisons on YouTube, a well-known one being done by an entertaining gentleman who knows his stuff.)

I'm not sure why you need a different drone to the Mini 2. As you're already finding, it's capable of producing excellent results. And the more experienced you get with the camera - and using that all-important natural light - the results will get even better. If you need video - as different from stills - a good set of ND filters is important; we prefer the ND/PL ones.

If you really want a second drone, I would go for a Phantom 4 Pro - there's now a V2.0. This is rock-solid in wind and it will give you even better results from the camera (which has a mechanical shutter, for example, as well as a bigger sensor). You can easily get a dedicated backpack for it. We carry it overseas, usually in difficult terrain, and it's superb. The money you've put aside would fit the price.

Finally, to repeat, DJI nowadays produce very good drones - and this forum has many passionate and experienced members, but there is bias towards the drone or drones they personally own. For us, it's not a hobby; a drone is solely a work tool. The Mavic Air 2 is an alternative to the Mini 2 - with advantages and disadvantages - but it's not at all different to any noticeable degree. The P4P is very different and yet just as easy (or even easier) to fly than the Mini 2.

As you work for the US Courts, I'll take this opportunity to add that we watched a great (if disturbing) movie last night: Trial by Fire, directed by the always-excellent Edward Zwick (think The Last Samurai and Defiance). It's a true story, currently on Netflix. I'd recommend it to everyone as a "must see" movie. And if anyone wants a good book to read on a very similar subject - originally given to us by our lawyer in South Africa - try The Innocent Man by John Grisham (his only non-fiction work).

Best wishes to you from the UK.

Hi AVLJMA. We also have the Mini 2. We also have the Phantom 4 Pro Plus - both solely for work. The P4P+ was the first drone that came out that we considered suitable for our professional requirements; we'd ruled out the Inspire 2, mainly because it's too bulky. We've added the Mini 2 especially for assignments when we need to travel ultra light.

I don't see the point of going for a Mavic Air 2 (although it's a good drone, like of lot of DJI's products) because the output is barely different from the Mini 2 when the latter is used to it's best capacity. (There are plenty of comparisons on YouTube, a well-known one being done by an entertaining gentleman who knows his stuff.)

I'm not sure why you need a different drone to the Mini 2. As you're already finding, it's capable of producing excellent results. And the more experienced you get with the camera - and using that all-important natural light - the results will get even better. If you need video - as different from stills - a good set of ND filters is important; we prefer the ND/PL ones.

If you really want a second drone, I would go for a Phantom 4 Pro - there's now a V2.0. This is rock-solid in wind and it will give you even better results from the camera (which has a mechanical shutter, for example, as well as a bigger sensor). You can easily get a dedicated backpack for it. We carry it overseas, usually in difficult terrain, and it's superb. The money you've put aside would fit the price.

Finally, to repeat, DJI nowadays produce very good drones - and this forum has many passionate and experienced members, but there is bias towards the drone or drones they personally own. For us, it's not a hobby; a drone is solely a work tool. The Mavic Air 2 is an alternative to the Mini 2 - with advantages and disadvantages - but it's not at all different to any noticeable degree. The P4P is very different and yet just as easy (or even easier) to fly than the Mini 2.

As you work for the US Courts, I'll take this opportunity to add that we watched a great (if disturbing) movie last night: Trial by Fire, directed by the always-excellent Edward Zwick (think The Last Samurai and Defiance). It's a true story, currently on Netflix. I'd recommend it to everyone as a "must see" movie. And if anyone wants a good book to read on a very similar subject - originally given to us by our lawyer in South Africa - try The Innocent Man by John Grisham (his only non-fiction work).

Best wishes to you from the UK.
Yes, Trial by Fire is disturbing. Thankfully 95% of the usual cases are light on drama. Actually mundane.

Thank you for taking the time for a well thought out response. I did consider the Phantom. My wife and I travel a lot to Europe and would, of course, pack the Mini 2 for that purpose. My wife is one of your people. She still travels on her British passport. She comes from New Market - Thetford area.

The Phantom would be great, if not overkill, for work. But it is a compelling drone in the fact that it would be more wind resistant, MUCH better camera and would push me more toward commercial hobby work on days off. The FAA 107 would be need here for that purpose. I think getting that license makes sense regardless.

There is a local drone club here. I will reach out to a Phantom owner and see if I can take the Phantom for a flight.

Thanks again.
Jim

Hi again Jim. I should have mentioned that the built in screen with the controller is super bright and a pleasure to use especially when framing a shot for composition requiring exactness/detail. It's the one thing we really miss when using the Mini 2 (and, no, we wouldn't waste money/weight on a CrystalSky screen for the Mini 2).

Again, best wishes to you both.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SkyTechDji