DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Vibration!!!!!

Boirche

Reactions
I've been flying my Mavic 2 Pro for over a year now and really enjoy using it for photography. Recently, I purchased a set of the new Master Airscrew Stealth propellers but there seems to be a problem. I noticed that there is considerable vibration occurring right from take off. While hovering close in, the entire craft is shaking and is very obvious. I fly with PGY Tech landing gear extensions and wondered if they were contributing to the problem in any way so I removed them..........no change..still shaking. I then changed to DJI props and put the landing gear back on and the problem had gone. I was wondering if anyone else has had this experience. I heard so many great reactions to the Master Airscrew props especially being easier on the motors and that made me buy them but getting them to Ireland along with customs duty proved expensive. Maybe I shouldn't have bothered. I'd love to hear your reactions.

Reactions: Royalred
For other Mavics you were required to adjust the gain settings to correct vibrations but I see that the MAS website states that it is not required for the M2. Still, perhaps you can tweak the settings a bit to see if it makes a difference. Directions to adjust gain for the Air can be found HERE and should translate to the M2.

I would check for prop balance.

If you take these props off and put on the standard factory props and the vibration goes away, then it's probably the props.

That doesn't necessarily mean that they are bad props. I find that balancing the factory props are almost never required, but the more advanced ones do require balancing.

You can google for balancing equipment. I have yet to balance any of the props I use for the M2P -- I used to balance my carbon fiber props for the Phantom, but the standard Mavic props have been just fine for me.

Chris

PS: I take it that these Master Airscrew Stealth prop are official DJI props, yes? If not, I wouldn't be using them.

Reactions: OurAngryBadger
It does sound like a bad prop. I have the black MAS props for the M2P and haven't had any issues.

Reactions: Obsidian Sereniti
I wrote a bit on prop balancing for the M2, compared Master Airscrew to stock. MAS had a higher percentage of props that needed balancing compared to stock, though not by a whole lot and with only sample sizes of 16 stock and 12 MAS. Several of the stock DJI props were significantly out of balance, enough that balancing made them much smoother.

I contacted MAS and got no response. Tried again and they said they would replace any that were out of balance. Hardly worth the effort to return them *after* you've already balanced them! The point I was trying to make with them is that it'd be nice if they checked balance as part of production.

I made a jig to perfectly straighten the prop before static balancing, but there's an easy way to check to see which prop is causing "how much" imbalance. Remove all but one prop. Hold the arm carefully and accelerate the motors and feel how smooth it is. Repeat with the others, one at a time.

Note that there are vibration apps that will display the amount of vibration using a smart phone. If you do this, put a bit of foam under each gear leg and attach phone with tape etc.

I've been flying my Mavic 2 Pro for over a year now and really enjoy using it for photography. Recently, I purchased a set of the new Master Airscrew Stealth propellers but there seems to be a problem. I noticed that there is considerable vibration occurring right from take off. While hovering close in, the entire craft is shaking and is very obvious. I fly with PGY Tech landing gear extensions and wondered if they were contributing to the problem in any way so I removed them..........no change..still shaking. I then changed to DJI props and put the landing gear back on and the problem had gone. I was wondering if anyone else has had this experience. I heard so many great reactions to the Master Airscrew props especially being easier on the motors and that made me buy them but getting them to Ireland along with customs duty proved expensive. Maybe I shouldn't have bothered. I'd love to hear your reactions.
And here I thought I was the only one who had this issue with MAS props. I bought two pair on release day, and both pair caused my M2P to twitch and vibrate while hovering. My intention was to do a sound comparison between them and the stock props, but after this issue with the MAS props, I got rid of them. I'm just not willing to take the chance.

Now, having said that, I can only assume that MAS calibrated these props to work properly when the Mavic's gain settings are set to their default values. I have all of mine muted way down, and although I did not take the time to verify this, I'm guessing that was the problem.

And here I thought I was the only one who had this issue with MAS props. I bought two pair on release day, and both pair caused my M2P to twitch and vibrate while hovering. My intention was to do a sound comparison between them and the stock props, but after this issue with the MAS props, I got rid of them. I'm just not willing to take the chance.

Now, having said that, I can only assume that MAS calibrated these props to work properly when the Mavic's gain settings are set to their default values. I have all of mine muted way down, and although I did not take the time to verify this, I'm guessing that was the problem.
I have two sets,the White and the orange on m2z and have had no problems,lucky I guess.

Tweaking the GAIN settings should not be done in big steps, and should also not be done without some knowledge of why you are doing it. The Mavic drones are inherently unstable. They need constant monitoring and feedback loops to enable them to hold their position in a stable hover. When a gust of wind pushes the drone sideways or tries to roll it, then the feedback mechanisms sense the shift and apply equal and opposite forces through the ESC manipulating the motor speeds. That 'level' of feedback is controlled by the GAIN settings. If GAIN is out, then you can get a situation where the compensation movement is a little too much, meaning that compensation needs to be applied in the opposite direction, which is a little too much, meaning that compensation needs to be applied in the opposite direction ... etc.
This causes a barely perceptible 'vibration' in the airframe of the Mavic. That vibration translates into a lower frequency shudder that is very noticeable if you look at the gimbal assembly (and/or leg extensions). Due to it being suspended on rubber bands, the gimbal shudder will be visible when the Mavic is in the hover. You can also see a version of this when the Mavic transitions from the hover, into directional flight (you'll see the shudder on recorded video).
Note that if you are actually seeing the 'airframe' (rather than just the gimbal), shudder while the Mavic is in the hover, it is more likely to be a prop-balance issue, because the GAIN would have to be out considerably to cause a visible shudder of the whole Drone.
GAIN adjustment provides a wide range of setting that is actually a very fine 'electronic' change on the circuitry. For this reason, if you are going to change GAIN settings, then you need to:
a) Record what the settings were before you make any changes.
b) Change in steps of 1 or 2 only and fly each step (just up into the hover), until you see the gimbal shudder disappear, or get worse (then go in the opposite direction).

If you are having GAIN issues, it is probably masking some other issue on your drone that will be to do with motors and/or prop's. If you do clear the problem by changing the GAIN settings, it is more than likely that those settings will be 100% unique to your drone!

Old thread, sorry . . . MAS specifically says that gain adjustment is not necessary with their props for the Mavic 2 (Pro or Zoom). The issue is that some MAS props are shipped defective, out of balance. Oh, and a few DJI ones are too!

Tweaking the GAIN settings should not be done in big steps, and should also not be done without some knowledge of why you are doing it. The Mavic drones are inherently unstable. They need constant monitoring and feedback loops to enable them to hold their position in a stable hover. When a gust of wind pushes the drone sideways or tries to roll it, then the feedback mechanisms sense the shift and apply equal and opposite forces through the ESC manipulating the motor speeds. That 'level' of feedback is controlled by the GAIN settings. If GAIN is out, then you can get a situation where the compensation movement is a little too much, meaning that compensation needs to be applied in the opposite direction, which is a little too much, meaning that compensation needs to be applied in the opposite direction ... etc.
This causes a barely perceptible 'vibration' in the airframe of the Mavic. That vibration translates into a lower frequency shudder that is very noticeable if you look at the gimbal assembly (and/or leg extensions). Due to it being suspended on rubber bands, the gimbal shudder will be visible when the Mavic is in the hover. You can also see a version of this when the Mavic transitions from the hover, into directional flight (you'll see the shudder on recorded video).
Note that if you are actually seeing the 'airframe' (rather than just the gimbal), shudder while the Mavic is in the hover, it is more likely to be a prop-balance issue, because the GAIN would have to be out considerably to cause a visible shudder of the whole Drone.
GAIN adjustment provides a wide range of setting that is actually a very fine 'electronic' change on the circuitry. For this reason, if you are going to change GAIN settings, then you need to:
a) Record what the settings were before you make any changes.
b) Change in steps of 1 or 2 only and fly each step (just up into the hover), until you see the gimbal shudder disappear, or get worse (then go in the opposite direction).

If you are having GAIN issues, it is probably masking some other issue on your drone that will be to do with motors and/or prop's. If you do clear the problem by changing the GAIN settings, it is more than likely that those settings will be 100% unique to your drone!
I used some of their propellers and got an ESC error and then my MA2 fell out of the sky. Now my bird is on the way back to DJI for repair. I am LIVID.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zzombie