DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

3 Video and stills with DJI Wide-Angle Lens (filter actually).

Vic Moss

Premium Pilot
Reactions
I was finally able to take delivery of the new Mavic 3 Wide-Angle Lens from DJI, so I went out Tuesday evening and flew some tests in Downtown Denver.

Overall I'm pretty pleased with it. It's certainly limited in some circumstances (especially if you're panning vertically), overall it's a great addition to the kit. You can remove or mitigate much of the distortion in post production if necessary. Easier on the photography rather than the video, but still mitigatable.

Anyway, here are some samples. With explanations. A good addition for the kit. Especially at $179.

I can't upload the video, so here is the YT link.

DJI_0101.jpgDJI_0107.jpgM3WAL1.jpgM3WAL1a.jpg

Nice video. Needs music. Love the way the horizon looks as you tilt down and pull in or out. You have some excellent techniques flying. That lens adds a new look and it is clear and sharp.

Reactions: Vic Moss
Nice video. Needs music. Love the way the horizon looks as you tilt down and pull in or out. You have some excellent techniques flying. That lens adds a new look and it is clear and sharp.
I purposely did not add music to this. It's strictly an exercise in review. Music would distract from that.

Reactions: Smooth Rhythm
I was finally able to take delivery of the new Mavic 3 Wide-Angle Lens from DJI, so I went out Tuesday evening and flew some tests in Downtown Denver.

Overall I'm pretty pleased with it. It's certainly limited in some circumstances (especially if you're panning vertically), overall it's a great addition to the kit. You can remove or mitigate much of the distortion in post production if necessary. Easier on the photography rather than the video, but still mitigatable.

Anyway, here are some samples. With explanations. A good addition for the kit. Especially at $179.

View attachment 141851View attachment 141852View attachment 141853View attachment 141854

Thanks for sharing this video. I love the cinematic look of that horizontal panning. This wide angle lens adaptor performs even better than I'd expected.

I looked at your sample photos, and did not notice obvious corner softness/vignetting. Are these original photos, or they have been lens-corrected to remove corner vignetting?

Thanks for sharing this video. I love the cinematic look of that horizontal panning. This wide angle lens adaptor performs even better than I'd expected.

I looked at your sample photos, and did not notice obvious corner softness/vignetting. Are these original photos, or they have been lens-corrected to remove corner vignetting?
There is no vignetting. There is a very small amount of overall softness, but it’s negligible. The corners aren’t any softer than the overall. There is a tad of post production vignetting in the shot I corrected. That's just a style of mine. Too much time in the darkroom over the years.

But softness is to be expected in a filter like this. But it’s not bad.

Last edited:
Thanks for the video and stills. Was wanting to see some good examples before they are available for purchase here in Australia. Well done Thumbswayup

Got mine today. I understand why they don't want it used in Autonomous modes, but seriously, a re-jiggered sphere panorama would look interesting, distortion included. And no Hyperlapse... that hurts. I found out by accident weeks ago when my Freewell Mist Filter twisted off slightly and I hot the message: "Wide Angle Lens attached- Hyperlapse not available" I understand results might be less than optimal. But let us use it and decide for ourselves.

View attachment 141851View attachment 141852View attachment 141853View attachment 141854
Vic - would love some tips on how you were able to edit out the distortion. I presume in photoshop?

Reactions: JimSteadman
You have a beautiful city. Union Station has changed some since I was there. Beautiful work. Thanks for sharing. I guess I'd be tempted to simply put the drone up and take three or more images and stitch them together in post, but the cost of the filter is really not much.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skyscansurveys